Bedrag Justesen reacted to ccc in Trump's progress
"In psychology, the study of brainwashing, often referred to as thought reform, falls into the sphere of "social influence." Social influence happens every minute of every day. It's the collection of ways in which people can change other people's attitudes, beliefs and behaviors."
Bedrag Justesen got a reaction from shindigger in Tommy Robinson thread
Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon has claimed jailed far-right leader Tommy Robinson is “the backbone” of Britain.
During Sunday morning’s programme, Mr Bannon called for the release of Robinson, who is serving a 13-month prison term for contempt of court, and described him as a “solid guy”.
FREE TOMMY CALL
Steve Bannon calls for Tommy Robinson’s release from prison as the former Trump adviser hails EDL founder as ‘solid guy’
Bedrag Justesen reacted to The XYY Man in The make us laugh or fuck off thread
Well they've only gone and sat one of them "work-experience" kids in the empty desk next to me at work.
Oh dear - what could possibly go wrong...? That desk isn't empty for no reason...!!!
He's a cocky little bastard mind - and I must confess I found him most entertaining for about ten minutes.
But then he started taking about fucking smart-phones.
"What ring-tone you got mate...?" he asked.
"Sorry son, but I must confess that I've never really looked," I replied.
"But I'm guessing it's probably a light shade of brown"...
Bedrag Justesen reacted to The XYY Man in The make us laugh or fuck off thread
I've just heard a story that many years ago, two rival colonies of silk-worm went head-to-head in a competition to design a garment suitable for wearing by humans beings.
Can't find out too many other details - but apparently the contest ended in a tie...
Bedrag Justesen reacted to whitevanman in Part n parcel of living in London
Multicultural societies are low in trust, even trust between whites is eroded. People retreat into their homes, community cohesion disappears, volunteering ceases, trust in the authorities and police declines and people have fewer friends. People are more isolated, fearful and less satisfied in life. Diversity makes everyone less happy.
Those were the findings of Robert Putnam, a left wing academic who initially set out to prove how diversity was a net positive. When he found the opposite, he sat on the information for years until he finally released his findings. Despite the evidence, he is still in favour of diversity, it just needs to be done differently, apparently.
If I witnessed a shooting, I'd head in the opposite direction as fast as my legs could carry me.
Bedrag Justesen reacted to The Masked Tulip in Part n parcel of living in London
I was in a check-out queue on Saturday and at the end was a lady collecting money for a local charity.
I didn't give any money as I found myself thinking "When I was very ill 12 years ago where was everyone for me?" which made me feel awful thinking it and even typing it now. Thankfully, I did get a couple of great doctors in the end, without whom I would not be here, but I find myself looking at life differently since... and more so in recent years. As a single caucasian male with no kids - yes, skin colour & race does come into it I fear - I know that I will be at the bottom of the queue for benefits and housing if my life fell apart again.
Makes you see everything, espeically the social 'net', differently.
Bedrag Justesen reacted to Hopeful in Part n parcel of living in London
Sad to say, I gave up helping anyone ages ago, other than about 4 friends whom I'd drive 100 miles to help and have done so.
I used to help anyone proactively. I was always first to volunteer whether a passer-by was being mugged or someone needing a hand to push a car, and if I thought i could see a solution for someone struggling, I'd suggest it.
But then I realised what goes around doesn't actually, come around. Helping strangers doesn't mean I'll not be left to struggle, and many others see help as interference, which perhaps it was.
Bedrag Justesen reacted to JoeDavola in Deluded Old Scrapper Birds On Dating Sites
Thanks for the response @whocares.
On Sunday night I had another night of insomnia and rumination and was hence a gibbering wreck on Monday in work, but I also had a fucking word with myself and resolved to sort a few things out:
- My apartment matched my mindset; it was a fucking wreck that looked like it had just been ransacked. So I went home at lunchtime for 2 hours on Monday and did some cleaning/tidying, and left work earlier than I usually do, and I've been completely re-arranging the flat top to bottom and giving it a good clean - it already looks twice as big as it did yesterday. It'll look even better once I've had another 4 hours or so at it tonight.
- Because of the fact that I was physically tired from spending all evening tidying stuff up, and with the help of the highest strength non-prescription sleeping tablet available (Nytol 50mg), I actually got a nights sleep last night, and therefore didn't have a panic attack before the meeting today. Which was nice.
- During the meeting, there was a couple of things that annoyed me, and one in particular that usually would have wound me up for days, but I told myself 'it's just work'. I can't change it. The only way I can change it is get a new job, so unless I'm doing that any time spent giving off about it is a complete waste of time. My work colleagues are not my friends, and my work is not my life or the basis for my self-esteem (or rather it shouldn't be; I have a feeling it had been recently). I'll be assertive in work when I can be (i.e. not let people take advantage of me or work longer hours than I'm paid to), but worrying about anything more than that is a waste of time.
- I went home for lunch today as well; it's much better sitting in my nice apartment in front of my TV eating lunch than sitting in the office. Plus it adds an extra 20 mins brisk walking to the day's total exercise.
- I've spent very little time online the last 4 days or so. I spend too much time reading about things online that annoy me and that I can't change. This I think fosters a feeling of helplessness, which deepens the anxiety/depression. I think feeling helpless is a big part of why I feel so bad much of the time, so I need to work against that. And, whilst I acknowledge the struggles finding a decent partner in today's dating market, I have to admit that I use the consumption of 'manosphere'/Red Pill stuff as an ego defense of sorts; a tool to distract me from addressing my own issues or at the very least just enjoying life, and it's a waste of time. So that's gotta stop. Cause nobody wants to date some cunt who spends all evening reading the fucking manosphere.
- Made the effort to have a conversation today with my mate in work who had been all quiet. He responded and we chatted a bit. I'd considered being direct and asking him why he'd been quiet, but I figure blokes don't do heart to hearts like that so I'd just gradually start making conversation again and see if he joins in.
I'm still considering going to the doctor to talk about meds, but I'll spend a week or two stopping doing things that make me feel shit first, and see if I need the meds as a boost after that.
Bedrag Justesen reacted to Chewing Grass in The Workhouse
Been researching the local workhouses, many of which were magnificent late victorian piles rather than mill like shit-holes when built and came across their census records.
Taking Runcorn as an example it can be seen from their census records that they had to grade the occupants (inmates) if they didn't have an occupation or state their afflicition.
Running through the list you will find Imbeciles and Idiots and if curiosity gets the better of you, you will discover that there were also Morons.
Now this was a psychological term for grading I.Q. levels 100 years ago and comprised:-
Morons - I.Q. of 51-70 (Mental age of 10 - 12) capable of basic work requiring a degree of reasoning or judgement
Imbeciles - I.Q. of 26 - 50 (Mental age of 4 - 9) simple manual work
Idiots - I.Q. of 0 - 25 (Mental age of 3 or under) self preservation
Above 70 was considered Normal and 130 Gifted.
An I.Q. of 100 is slap bang between 70 & 130 which makes you realise how bad anywhere in the world is that cannot scrape an average I.Q. of over 85.