• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Grey Man

Great stand up comedy movies

Light relief from serious things.

Comedy changed with the arrival of PC. On the cusp of it in my youth, i found it edgy, political and clever.

However it just morphed into political and clever..or not so clever..and it was no longer my thing.

Everyone has their faves. This is more for full length routines...they may have been released direct on line or dvd...or made it to the big screen.

I have reverted to my pre awakening stage.

I just like rude and filth.

Some oldies; Eddie Murphies Raw and Delerious are great.

Richard Prior at the sunset strip similar.

I can still listen and watch Denis Learys no cure for cancer and not stop laughing.

I watched the Netflix Adam Sandler 100 percent last year.

It was a little slow at first..but then he just went on one and hilarious.

I have of late dipped into Bernard Mannings stuff. A clever chap.  And funny. Nice because its naughty and should not be seen.

Live..I went to a Roy Chubby Brown show a few years back. Another very clever guy. Couldnt stop laughing.

I dont find Mainstream comedy funny anymore.

A long story with a mild laugh at the end..keep it...oh their so clever..yeah.

Comedy is a pale imitation of its previous self. Not really fond of "stand up", but George Carlin, Jasper Carrot, Dave Allen always amusing. I think we should put the lead back in petrol, and bring Double Diamond back.

29 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Live..I went to a Roy Chubby Brown show a few years back. Another very clever guy. Couldnt stop laughing.

His was the only comedy gig where I physically hurt from laughing. Hammersmith Apollo, mid-nineties.

I don't think his jokes are that funny, they're generally coarse and obvious, but I have never encountered such comedy timing. Superb.

Plus I'd had a few beers so when I saw Chris Deakin off The BIll in the bar I knew I knew him from somewhere, and I did meet a lot of people in my line of work, so said "Hi, how you doing" to be polite.  I worked out who was a couple of hours alter.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

When you say "stand up comedy movies", do you mean "stand up comedy" or comedic movies that "stand up" .Sorry, I'm a pedant....

Er, that stand-up in what format...?

VHS were larger, thicker and heavier - and therefore much harder to accidentally knock-off your shelf compared to flimsy DVD and Bluray cases...

;)

XYY

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Er, that stand-up in what format...?

VHS were larger, thicker and heavier - and therefore much harder to accidentally knock-off your shelf compared to flimsy DVD and Bluray cases...

;)

XYY

Well I think I have some excellent comedic works in my DVD collection, but they are not "stand up", as in person on stage talking to live audience. I think you knew what I meant.

I go to quite a lot of stand-up comedy gigs mainly just to get out of the hotel but generally I’d say the quality is middling to low not sure if it’s the comedians or comedy is harder work in the post-whatever world. The venues don’t tend to be embarrassingly empty but are rarely a capacity crowd - having said that I’m essentially always going to acts where there are tickets still available so I never go to the ones that are always sold out which tends to correlate to TV prominence like Jack Whitehall or people like that.

One of the big challenges for modern stand ups is the audience has driven there and aren’t three pints in and people just don’t want to pay £5 a pint at the theatre bar as it’s often virtually tumbleweeds there at the interval.

Any full length show.

Has to be a stage stand up routine

Any form of release.

I guess full length tv stand up..but has to be devoted to the artist not a small segment.

They have to pull off the whole show. They can have help...but have to be in the whole lot.

I guess Monty Python shows...ie..live at Hollywood Bowl counts even though they are several artists.

I would at a push allow some of them shows like The Secret Policemans Ball.

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Well I think I have some excellent comedic works in my DVD collection, but they are not "stand up", as in person on stage talking to live audience. I think you knew what I meant.

Yep. I enjoy and have.

But should be able to hold a live audience for a good while without editing as in a comedy series.

2 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

But should be able to hold a live audience for a good while without editing as in a comedy series.

That's a hard job.

7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

:)

Of course I did.

The opening post did then go on list most of the best ever stand-up comedy films, rather defeating the point of asking the rest of us.

I therefore suggest we post pictures of Jamie Curtis's tits from "Trading Places" instead...

jamie-lee-curtis-nude-trading-places-6.j

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Of course I did.

The opening post did then go on list most of the best ever stand-up comedy films, rather defeating the point of asking the rest of us.

I therefore suggest we post pictures of Jamie Curtis's tits from "Trading Places" instead...

jamie-lee-curtis-nude-trading-places-6.j

XYY

Ok I ruined it.

Thats brought the thread back up.

Just now, The XYY Man said:

Of course I did.

XYY

Well I like that look, but a lot of poofs here think she's a bloke.xD

17 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I go to quite a lot of stand-up comedy gigs mainly just to get out of the hotel but generally I’d say the quality is middling to low not sure if it’s the comedians or comedy is harder work in the post-whatever world. The venues don’t tend to be embarrassingly empty but are rarely a capacity crowd - having said that I’m essentially always going to acts where there are tickets still available so I never go to the ones that are always sold out which tends to correlate to TV prominence like Jack Whitehall or people like that.

One of the big challenges for modern stand ups is the audience has driven there and aren’t three pints in and people just don’t want to pay £5 a pint at the theatre bar as it’s often virtually tumbleweeds there at the interval.

I watch a lot of famous stand ups and think, "Fuck me, I'm ten times funnier than him". I wonder if I really am though.

1 minute ago, eight said:

I watch a lot of famous stand ups and think, "Fuck me, I'm ten times funnier than him". I wonder if I really am though.

The Glasgow Apollo was apparently the real trial. I might be funny in small company, but no way would I get on stage.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Well I like that look, but a lot of poofs here think she's a bloke.xD

Funnily enough, after I'd typed-in "Jamie Curtis" to which I was going to start adding "Trading Places", when that auto-suggestion thing popped-up - and them poofs are top of the list...!

Trading Places was only number 5.

image.png.343870e7f43ba1931de1b0c098d0303f.png

What is the world coming to...?

Never mind, here's another angle - they are fucking perfect...

Jamie-Lee-Curtis-nude-topless-huge-boobs

XYY

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Funnily enough, after I'd typed-in "Jamie Curtis" to which I was going to start adding "Trading Places", when that auto-suggestion thing popped-up - and them poofs are top of the list...!

XYY

She's quite small and the short hair was a bit of a trademark. It's a bit of a gamble, but I think it paid off for her back then.

But then a lot of "real men" pay the $200 for a Thai lady for the night, and then find out it's no Sheila, and them make the best of it

6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

image.png.343870e7f43ba1931de1b0c098d0303f.png

Jamie-Lee-Curtis-nude-topless-huge-boobs

The story around her ran for a long time..mostly at the end of her big payings years.

Oddly my former teen memory dosent recollect that last perky upstanding pic.

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The Glasgow Apollo was apparently the real trial. I might be funny in small company, but no way would I get on stage.

I'm not going to Glasgow!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Ken Dodd did many times. One of the few English comedians that didn't get sent packing from Glasgow Empire.

XYY

Maybe it was the Empire, and I got it wrong. I am sure "somebody here" has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Weegie city.

Edited by MrPin

Steve Martin started out as a stand-up; was Rock Star huge, prompted by the silliness of The Jerk, bought the video tape and remember being in stitches at 'Steve Martin - Wild and Crazy Guy'. Though watched it once with a girlfriend trying to impress - left her cold! There is something about schoolboy humour... 

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Ken Dodd did many times. One of the few English comedians that didn't get sent packing from Glasgow Empire.

XYY

I have seen one or two long stand up bits from Ken Dodd.

Guy was sharp and could handle a put down.

No dirty comments...respect for the Ticklemaster..but

He was at some show as a kid..I was about 4.

And I formally received my tickling stick.

Never sat comfortably since.

Shit..did it.

58 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Comedy is a pale imitation of its previous self. Not really fond of "stand up", but George Carlin, Jasper Carrot, Dave Allen always amusing.

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

His was the only comedy gig where I physically hurt from laughing. Hammersmith Apollo, mid-nineties.

I've spoken to Frank about this before that RCB is my all time favourite stand up comedian. That man was born to tell jokes as he kills it with every single gag he fires at his audience. And the roar of the laughter he creates is a glimpse of what comedians of yesteryear were capable of when not restricted by PC bullshit.  It's also traditional working class humour which has been completely eradicated completely from the mainstream. Once the middle class hijacked Stand Up - it went downhill pretty fast. I used to think it was gone forever until the internet came along.

Mr Pins recommendation I highly approve of as well. Dave Allen is my second favourite comedian. People call him an observational comedian but really he told long winded gags - every story always had a punchline. And he was another with perfect comic timing. George Carlin had the ability to tell you what's really going on via laughter and Jasper Carrot was a master of observing the absurdity and making it funny.

All you have nowadays is some hipster twiglet talking about how hysterical it is when his dog wags it's tail. Or fat, ugly bints wishing they could throw acid over people they don't like.