DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Dosbods painting with oils club

spunko

I've recently discovered Bob Ross, on YouTube. Considering myself to be a fairly good when it comes to drawing with pencils, I decided to give it a go. I've never used oil paints before - and it's not easy. 

Anyone else an avid or aspiring painter? 

Here's my first effort, I'm quite pleased with the sky, and can see if I painted it again it'd be significantly better. Don't laugh. I'm not going to throw it out, even though I'm tempted,  to give me something to look back on. 

Carefully positioned paint tube to cover my name, just in case....

15639137824467672295181144811436.jpg

3 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Bob Ross a name from the past he used to be on the discovery channel in the 1990`s early 2000s is still alive ?

No he died quite young in his fifties, in 1995.

Long time lurking
45 minutes ago, spunko said:

No he died quite young in his fifties, in 1995.

Well he was dead when i was watching his show ,makes it look so easy Tony Hart on steroids 

On 23/07/2019 at 21:31, spunko said:

I've recently discovered Bob Ross, on YouTube. Considering myself to be a fairly good when it comes to drawing with pencils, I decided to give it a go. I've never used oil paints before - and it's not easy. 

Here's my first effort, I'm quite pleased with the sky, and can see if I painted it again it'd be significantly better. Don't laugh. I'm not going to throw it out, even though I'm tempted,  to give me something to look back on. 

Recently started taking drawing lessons with a  view to learning to paint but I think it's going tobe a while before there's any output worth seeing.

Well done on your painting. 

I’ve recently started diamond painting. Not the same, I know, and not a skill either as it’s very simple that a child could do it, but I found that it helped me to relax in a way I hadn’t for years. It set off my love of crafts, which I used to do a lot of years ago, so I’ve been doing lots of things. I’ve been making cushions to match my new decor, more diamond painting, spray painting and only this week I bought a set of acrylic paints to try to do some flower painting on to ceramic. I’m rubbish at it but I’m hoping I can learn some stuff along the way. 

Youtube is fantastic for learning and seeing how things are done. I’ve watched more on it this week than I’ve ever done. 

Here is my diamond painting which is as close as I think I’ll get to producing a “piece of art”.

IMG_20190724_171752.jpg

One percent
1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

Well done on your painting. 

I’ve recently started diamond painting. Not the same, I know, and not a skill either as it’s very simple that a child could do it, but I found that it helped me to relax in a way I hadn’t for years. It set off my love of crafts, which I used to do a lot of years ago, so I’ve been doing lots of things. I’ve been making cushions to match my new decor, more diamond painting, spray painting and only this week I bought a set of acrylic paints to try to do some flower painting on to ceramic. I’m rubbish at it but I’m hoping I can learn some stuff along the way. 

Youtube is fantastic for learning and seeing how things are done. I’ve watched more on it this week than I’ve ever done. 

Here is my diamond painting which is as close as I think I’ll get to producing a “piece of art”.

IMG_20190724_171752.jpg

That looks like needlework 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

That looks like needlework 

It’s just tiny plastic pieces that you stick on to the sheet. It’s like paint by numbers but even less skill involved.

p.s. I’ve messaged you some pics.

Excellent.
Husband has watched many of his videos on youtube. :)

The snow ones are nice.

Here’s my favourite oil painting. I done a few when I was in my mid twenties but only kept this one.

91388DBE-B594-4490-AD28-A00B22C6EE75.jpeg

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Excellent.
Husband has watched many of his videos on youtube. :)

The snow ones are nice.

Working on a snow one right now.

20190725_203150.jpg

Bushes are bloody hard too.

Tom Keating is worth a watch - a whole series, here's the first two on the techniques used by Turner and Titian

Keatng was a very interesting and talented character

Of course, those programmes were yesteryear.

Today the TV offers the public the Great British Painting Challenge

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

This guy in Malaga is amazing. He can paint 3 in 3 minutes, think we paid €15 for 3. He was making easily €300+ per hour.

That's similar to how Bob Ross started, doing speed paintings (not with fingers) in 10 minutes or less for passing punters in Alaska IIRC.

campfire_banner1.jpg

Happy Renting

I like Kincade's paintings, for their emetic qualities.

Whenever I need a detox, a quick glance empties out my digestive system in seconds.

image.png.de2514b9d046a9a01e277ccfe9590c82.png

Happy Renting
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

They are a bit gaudy, but so what. If you can do something you love, and make $700m from it, then more power to you. xD

Kincade died a couple of years ago. That was his biggest contribution to tthe world of art.

It is estimated that 1 in 20 US households have a Kincade painting on the wall.

7 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Kincade died a couple of years ago. That was his biggest contribution to tthe world of art.

It is estimated that 1 in 20 US households have a Kincade painting on the wall.

According to him, that is. I suspect the reality is that it includes his jigsaws, and is a misquote.  Most OAP homes have at least 5 of the things, which warps the numbers.

That said, he is popular. Most art critics would name some pretentious toss, that hangs in 1 in 500,000 US homes as their 'real' art.

Bus Stop Boxer
On 16/08/2019 at 00:39, Happy Renting said:

I like Kincade's paintings, for their emetic qualities.

Whenever I need a detox, a quick glance empties out my digestive system in seconds.

image.png.de2514b9d046a9a01e277ccfe9590c82.png

Theres a big hook nosed witch living in there with several overtly red apples.

Burn it down.

Happy Renting
44 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Theres a big hook nosed witch living in there with several overtly red apples.

Burn it down.

Every cottage in every Kinkade painting has all their lights blazing.

Bloody waste of electricity if you ask me. Or whale oil.

Archived