DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Astrology, hocus pocus or something in it?

Sugarlips

How open minded are you about this stuff? Have anyone experienced enlightenment down this path? 

I’m not a total hippie and can’t get my head around all aspects of it - maybe that’s the idea to hook you in - but In an attempt at gaining some internal fulfillment, I have been overlooking the sunflowers and peace signs and reading/listening to monthly forecasts for a little while. I have been able to relate to the general predictions made in my sign (Pisces)

Susan Millar seems to be among the most respected writers but it can be a slog trying to wade through the aspects to get insights, her site is:

https://www.astrologyzone.com/

If nothing else I found this reader to be quite soothing on the eye/ear

A wise man once told me that it is possible to be so open minded that your brain falls out; I can't help thinking that anybody who believes in astrology demonstrates that he had a very good point.

• Agree 7

DownwardSpiral

Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory sums it up best.

——————————

Penny: I’m a Sagittarius, which tells you way more than you need to know.

Sheldon: Yes, it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun’s apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality!

• Agree 4

Frank Hovis

I think that there is a lot in it but not for the reasons that its adherents think.

Depending upon the time of the year that you are born your earliest experience of the world will be of long warm light days, if born in summer, or short dark cold ones if born in winter.

Whilst there are exceptions where I have known very pessimistic people they tend to be winter born and the optimist summer born.  You can then spin a lot of character traits out from that.

You can then add in the effects of the timing of the scholastic year.  Generally the summer born people are going to be the youngest and smallest in their year whereas the winter born will be the oldest and biggest.  Which really matters when a year is a significant portion of your development.  The cut off is an arbitrary date os if you have twins with one born 31 August they will be going into the year above where they will be the youngest but the one born 1 September will be going into the year below where they will be the oldest.   This will have a huge effect upon how thier personality develops as the older one will do better at their books and get into the sports teams and receive all the coaching from an early age.

In 2009, professional English youth academies (aged 16-20 years) were grossly over-represented by players with birthdates in a three month period. 57% of youngsters were born in September, November or December whilst only 14% celebrated their birthday in June, July or August.

This is not a one off. At a recent U17 European Championship, 75% of the footballers were born in a four month window. Similar results were detected in Canadian ice hockey and at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/18891749

So if you want your child to play for England you want them to be born in September, November or December.

Or, to use the astrology mysticism, if you are a Virgo, Libra or Scorpio you are likely to be good at sport.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

So if you want your child to play for England you want them to be born in September, November or December.

Or, to use the astrology mysticism, if you are a Virgo, Libra or Scorpio you are likely to be good at sport.

I am an October libran who is not enthusiastic about sport - participating or following.

unregistered_guest
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I am an October libran who is not enthusiastic about sport - participating or following.

I am going to channel Madame Arcati to answer this and give a whole lot of other stuff I've heard over the years:

You see - that's the point. Being a Libran you had the potential to be good at sport - but you chose not to...

[Substitute that for any trait your Sun Sign says you should have, but you manifestly don't]

Besides which - Sun Signs to your proper astrologer are what Songs of Praise is to born-again Christians, or the new Top Gear to petrol heads - they may satisfy people who are totally clueless - but they've got nothing to do with the real deal. It's Natal Charting you need to look at if you're going to get any real in-depth analysis that might help you.

Allow me to put it this way. We know the Moon exerts a gravitational pull on the earth, causing tides. It's measurable. It's scientific fact. Now, what about the planets? You know why we call them planets? It's because the ancients realised that there was something different about these heavenly bodies - they sort of "wandered" in a seemingly unpredictable way across the constellations as if they possessed personalities of their own.

The stargazers made observations, cross-referenced with other methods of fortune-telling and put together a model that said that the positions of these heavenly bodies relative to the earth could influence events and individuals according to the traits ascribed to each one. It does not matter that it was based on a geocentric, rather than heliocentric model; that the precession of the equinoxes has shifted the absolute position of the Twelve Houses in relation to the motion of the planets; or that the position of your midwife during your birth has a greater gravitational impact on you than the planet Mars[1][2]. What matters is whether the model works!

You may not have heard of Michel Gauquelin and his work on the Mars Effect - his initial research does appear to show a correlation; unfortunately other studies have found it difficult to replicate his results.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Tony Blair is a taurus: 6 May
People born on May 6 will have entered the world under the Taurus sign. Astrologists state Taureans are famous for their stubbornness and ruled by the planet Venus. Those under the sign are also said to be gentle but fierce

Jeremy Corbyn is 26th May

Gemini

If your birthday is May 26, then you are a Gemini who is imaginative, perceptive and bright. You are playful but have a lot of resolve. Most people born under this zodiac sign are soft hearted and you can effectively express yourself but not so much when it comes to emotions

Boris Johnson also a gemini

Sie Starmer is a September 2nd 
Being a Virgo born on September 2nd, your personality is dominated by a strong will, tactfulness and great organization skills.

On 22/02/2020 at 13:37, MrPin said:

Well, when you start school, there may be up to a year difference in ages. The Autumn ones will be older. I don't think astrology has much to do with it.

Strong correlation between not just sport but academic achievement (less so) and DOB vs academic year timing.

• Agree 1

I've had a couple of people tell me off the bat that I'm an aquarias - bit strange but just assumed there was something weird going on that they intuitively got even though the concept it is but ridiculous.

But then I saw recently that due to the year I was born I wasn't actually aquiarias after all.

Worse, I grew up being told I was year of the monkey in China land but again quite recently learnt that was false too (I think I am something pathetic like sheep 😭)

Just looked myself up on t'internet on horoscope.com.

Under pisces 'facts' I see that Neptune rules me and I have mutable quality. WTF? We do think deeply though and have incredibly strong gut reactions. My gut is currently telling me that it's all total bollocks.

Mrs S is a gemini and we are only 10% compatible. I'll let her know later....

Cobblers.

The Masked Tulip

In recent months YouTube has been deleting channels of all sorts of people for posting fake information. Mostly it is conservative content creators that have gone, but also have many film reviewers who criticise big films, TV shows and video games along with even historical channels.

If YT does not like the narrative you are telling then, even if it is factly correct, you can be disappeared. The one exception to this is horoscopes / tarotscopes. Big money makers on YT. Just go to YT and type in any star sign to see just how many people are doing all manner of astrology readings.

There's a business there for Mrs. XYY methinks. Grumpy Starsigns. If not, I might don a wig and do it myself.

• Lol 1

On 09/07/2020 at 15:23, Dogtania said:

I've had a couple of people tell me off the bat that I'm an aquarias - bit strange but just assumed there was something weird going on that they intuitively got even though the concept it is but ridiculous.

But then I saw recently that due to the year I was born I wasn't actually aquiarias after all.

Worse, I grew up being told I was year of the monkey in China land but again quite recently learnt that was false too (I think I am something pathetic like sheep 😭)

The Chinese ones always puzzled me... so everybody in your class at school (or about half) had exactly the same Chinese Zodiac sign and so effectively the same personality traits?

Might work in a Chinese village with one or two people born every year, not so good when it's 30 school kids.

Of course, both Western and Chinese then sub divide to avoid such "issues" of believability. Although in Chinese Zodiac that subtlety is based on actual year, so back to the school problem again.

I'm a Water Ox same as most of the people in my class, water is the most Yin, so...

Water is the most yin in character of the five elements. Its motion is downward and inward, and its energy is stillness and conserving.

Don't remember Lloyd Brooke a class mate of mine being particularly clam, still or inward when he was nicking my pocket money or stuffing some first years head down the bogs.

Edited by gilf
  • Lol 1