DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Thought I'd start this thread as I've seen two this weekend I have not seen for donkeys.

1) A Volkswagen Karmann Ghia which like most air-cooled beetle thingies just smelt of unburnt fuel and engine oil.

2) An X plated non fuel injected XR2 that sounded decidedly underwhelming, I mean this should have rusted away years ago!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Datsun amazing coincidence.

Right. For anybody interested in my path to righteousness. It's time for.... #3. ? Arghh......... What to do. I love both my Capris, there's a new one on the way called a

Evening spotters. Some of you may remember me posting a few shaky pictures of this 1963 VW Beetle  as I overtook it on the Northbound A19 on November 2nd 2019. I had another 10 miles to drive hom

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Rave said:

As previously recommended to me by SNACR, the forum at autoshite.com is dedicated to spotting, buying and running once unexceptional but now rare cars like these.

I just bought myself a 1996 Peugeot 106 diesel which I plan on keeping on the road as long as possible :) .

I'm a member of autoshite.com too. :) Good luck with the Pug. never driven one but lightweight = not too slow and 70 mpg is quite possible.

It's great, and as you say, not too slow...at least not up to about 40mph, it struggles a bit above that. It seems quite high geared though, you can get it up to 40 in second, albeit with a slightly worrying plume of particulates as your reward. It might be that I have to get used to changing down from 5th to maintain speed on motorway hills, something that isn't usually necessary in my other car, a 3L V6 Mondeo...

You can't really hear the pug engine above the wind noise once you're doing over 50, and it doesn't have a rev counter, so I have no idea what the engine is up to at that sort of speed.

12 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

I went to a car rally yesterday as a mate of mine had took his 1921 Calthorpe 10/4 Tourer along. A very pleasant afternoon with some stunning cars. 

That sounds like the sort of vehicle Mr Renting's imaginary uncle might have had. Did it smell of anything "unsavoury"?

13 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

I went to a car rally yesterday as a mate of mine had took his 1921 Calthorpe 10/4 Tourer along. 

I've got one of those. I bought it from auction when it was 80 years old. I do all my own servicing and it just sails through its MOT's! One brake pipe and a bulb in all the years I've had it. I intend to run it into the ground, which should be at least another fifty years, then get another one.

5 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I'm a member of autoshite.com too. :) Good luck with the Pug. never driven one but lightweight = not too slow and 70 mpg is quite possible.

I feel, at present, this forum is lacking anything as epic as their cars and girls thread.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

I feel, at present, this forum is lacking anything as epic as their cars and girls thread.

xD Or the 'girls you like to ****' thread. My contribution was Alison Hannigan (?) from the 'American Pie' films and  'How I met your Mother'. I cannot better that one tbh. Redheads, ftw. I was shocked to find out that she's a few years older than me despite playing younger characters. Same re: Isla Fisher.

I disappeared from AS in 2014 as i upset a few peeps with my new dashcam. Before that I also ruffled a few feathers when I posted a link on hpc. Just started posting again fairly recently but I'm careful what I post.

Funnily enough SNACR, I used to see your cat avatar on hpc and I used to ponder whether or not you were also a member on AS or if it was someone else using the same cat photo. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-26 at 12:55, eight said:

I've got one of those. I bought it from auction when it was 80 years old. I do all my own servicing and it just sails through its MOT's! One brake pipe and a bulb in all the years I've had it. I intend to run it into the ground, which should be at least another fifty years, then get another one.

No MoTs on a 1921 car....

Anyway, today I saw a very nice battered series Land Rover.  Pleasingly, it wasn't being driven by a nob, but by a guy with a beard who looked as though it had been on his face for more than 12 months.

• spunko featured this topic