DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Datsun amazing coincidence.

Right. For anybody interested in my path to righteousness. It's time for.... #3. ? Arghh......... What to do. I love both my Capris, there's a new one on the way called a

Evening spotters. Some of you may remember me posting a few shaky pictures of this 1963 VW Beetle  as I overtook it on the Northbound A19 on November 2nd 2019. I had another 10 miles to drive hom

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Old Mercs are hard to kill off!

32076118665_9f7a468b04.jpgMercedes-Benz 190E 2.0 by Matt, on Flickr

Over the past 2 weeks I saw a couple of Merc W124 estates!

My god that looks good. 

None of that swoopy nonsense. I preferred cars when they were designed with set squares.  90, 30, 45 and 60 degrees is all you need to make a car look good. Probably why I liked my old Citroën AX so much. 

Edited by whitevanman
On 2017-7-13 at 21:49, One percent said:

It was noted in other stories that it was a nearly new BMW.

I'd assumed that the police used diesel cars but you only get engine fires in petrol (or LPG) cars.

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

When Mercs were class. 

I'm sure it had quite an absurd engine as well. Probably necessary back then as it would have weighed at least 2 abbotopotumas'

I remember having one of those collapsible cups and whilst it was full of water, collapsing it when sitting in the front seat. Don't think I've ever seen my dad lose his shit more than at that moment. 

9 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I remember having one of those collapsible cups and whilst it was full of water, collapsing it when sitting in the front seat. Don't think I've ever seen my dad lose his shit more than at that moment. 

I used to be a member of the Lancia owners club, I recall a story in the club's magazine/newsletter about a member, quite a well known figure in the motor industry, driving his Lancia through a Swiss mountain pass. The headlights failed and the drivers seat collapsed at the same time. He remarked on it being an intelligent design feature, you didn't want to be looking ahead when you couldn't see.

28 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I'm sure it had quite an absurd engine as well. Probably necessary back then as it would have weighed at least 2 abbotopotumas'

It had a V8. Most likely a 5.0 or 5.5 as the 4.2s are rare in the UK AFAIK.

They are lovely things, one of the many cars I wish I'd been able to buy and stash somewhere while you could still pick them up for peanuts.

16 minutes ago, Rave said:

It had a V8. Most likely a 5.0 or 5.5 as the 4.2s are rare in the UK AFAIK.

They are lovely things, one of the many cars I wish I'd been able to buy and stash somewhere while you could still pick them up for peanuts.

Something else for DOSBODS island, an enormous barn or old stables for the cars we want.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was noted in other stories that it was a nearly new BMW.

I'd assumed that the police used diesel cars but you only get engine fires in petrol (or LPG) cars.

If diesel or oil is hot enough and in a mist it can go up from a burst hose or pipe. Fuel return on modern common rail diesels gets pretty hot.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

If diesel or oil is hot enough and in a mist it can go up from a burst hose or pipe. Fuel return on modern common rail diesels gets pretty hot.

Yes, a mate's work van caught fire going round the M25. He got out. A lot of expensive laboratory equipment was in it.

2 hours ago, ccc said:

When Mercs were class. 

Yes, those were nice.

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

There was something unusual about these Volvos, if I remember rightly the transmission tunnel was huge and the gearbox was at the back around abouts the rear axle.

Sounds plausable. Rear Wheel Drive cars require a large transmission tunnel. These 300 series Volvos were actually Dutch rather than Swedish, derived from the DAF range of cars. They had some weird automatic gearbox called 'Variomatic' that run by rubber bands (my technical knowledge is a bit limited here).

Not my photo:

1972 DAF 55 Marathon

18 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Sounds plausable. Rear Wheel Drive cars require a large transmission tunnel. These 300 series Volvos were actually Dutch rather than Swedish, derived from the DAF range of cars. They had some weird automatic gearbox called 'Variomatic' that run by rubber bands (my technical knowledge is a bit limited here).

Not my photo:

Yes some of them had the Dutch rubber band gearbox.

Ford also sold something similar in a Fiesta.

Edited by MrPin
  • spunko featured this topic