DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Peak Nimby

Wight Flight

Wight Flight

IMPORTANT Bob Seely (MP) is holding a meeting for residents next Tuesday - 6th August - at The Masonic Hall, Fairy Road, Seaview PO34 5HF (6.45p for 7.00pm) to discuss the Island Plan which currently proposes 9,000 additional houses.

Bob wants to see fewer houses built and is seeking your views and support for his campaign.

This is one of a series of meetings around the Island and is of particular interest to those living in Nettlestone and Seaview, and also St Helens.

The Island plan specifies that we need to build 9,000 houses for local people.

Seaview is 70% second home owners / air bnb / holiday homes.

So the reason that we need 9,000 new houses for locals is that most of the housing is owned by people that don't live here.

What are the odds that those people will be vehemently against the new homes being built. Should be a fun meeting.

What percentage of homes on the entire island are second homes though? Looking at this, it's only 4.7%.

https://www.iow.gov.uk/azservices/documents/2552-Housing-Accommodation-Dec-2013-Final-Version.pdf

You should not move somewhere new, to avoid the problems caused by excessive housbuilding in your old town, and call them NIMBYs with a straight face surely?

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, spunko said:

What percentage of homes on the entire island are second homes though? Looking at this, it's only 4.7%.

https://www.iow.gov.uk/azservices/documents/2552-Housing-Accommodation-Dec-2013-Final-Version.pdf

You should not move somewhere new, to avoid the problems caused by excessive housbuilding in your old town, and call them NIMBYs with a straight face surely?

No idea. The Island has lots of different areas. I would guess Ryde is almost 100% occupied.

But I moved because of cost, not the amount of houses being built, most of which I approved of.

But it will be amusing to see second home owners try to stop first home owners from getting one.

I think if the proposed housing was for more posh holiday homes they might be in favour.

But then they will moan that it is impossible to get a tradesman to work for them.

10 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

No idea. The Island has lots of different areas. I would guess Ryde is almost 100% occupied.

But I moved because of cost, not the amount of houses being built, most of which I approved of.

But it will be amusing to see second home owners try to stop first home owners from getting one.

I think if the proposed housing was for more posh holiday homes they might be in favour.

But then they will moan that it is impossible to get a tradesman to work for them.

The mess that is furnished holiday lets is being looked at by HMRC.

Removal of all tax breaks and moving to a higher taxed than residential will fix this fuckwittery.

31 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I thought you moved because it took 3 hours to drive 4 miles due to excessive population. 

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, spunko said:

I thought you moved because it took 3 hours to drive 4 miles due to excessive population. 

No. That was a negative but I moved because rent was over £3k compared to less than £1k down here. I never really went more than half a mile from home in Surrey.

And I love the Island.

5 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

No. That was a negative but I moved because rent was over £3k compared to less than £1k down here. I never really went more than half a mile from home in Surrey.

And I love the Island.

I don't want to do a venger but I distinctly remember your antipathy towards living in Surrey commuter belt. It doesn't compute, or am I being thick? How can one complain about the excessive population, traffic issues, inability to see a GP etc - and then on the other hand agree with all the development going on? 

A paradox if ever I've seen one :CryBaby:

We need population reduction on a huge scale and ASAP, not blaming boomers for buying second homes of which only <5% of dwellings are on the IoW....

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't want to do a venger but I distinctly remember your antipathy towards living in Surrey commuter belt. It doesn't compute, or am I being thick? How can one complain about the excessive population, traffic issues, inability to see a GP etc - and then on the other hand agree with all the development going on? 

We need population reduction on a huge scale and ASAP, not blaming boomers for buying second homes of which only <5% of dwellings are on the IoW....

I can guarantee I haven't complained about not being able to see a gp. I did see mine 21 years ago to sign on but never tried to see him since. I really must sign off but I think you need to register with a new one to do that, which I can't be bothered with, so I guess he will just keep getting my £150 per year.

I finally saw what the neighbourhood was when I attended a meeting discussing turning a derelict small barn into two houses. I stupidly supported the idea and became a pariah.

The problem with traffic is not the number of people, it is the number of people not living near where they work or where the kids go to school. Why, when my local school catchment area was 300 metres, did 50+ % of kids get driven to school. Why do people live in Guildford but work in Bracknell, whilst others live in Bracknell but work in Guildford. The whole thing is a total mess.

It is only when you move back to the 1970s that you can see how much of a fuck up modern day has become.

13 hours ago, spunko said:

We?

Africa does.

Followed by India and the various muzzer shitholes.

Population is fine outside of those countries.

13 hours ago, spunko said:

I guess it most depend on where you grew up.

Coming North to West London/M4 corridor, my reaction was eurgh. And still is.

I went roundthe posh bts of Surrey. Big houses but ...... boring, nothing to fucking do.

Id guess 70% of Surry populaton live in places like Woking, which manage to combine expense and living in shithole estate. Its not an easy sell to majority of people.

I thought Guildford was OK, being near some countryside

Then palces like Brackenll I *hate*. They are dire. Endless estates and nothing to do. Anyone bring up kids i nthat area needs reporting to the social.

And the jobs really dont pay that well anymore. o me the M4 corridor is looking more n more like a long Luton.

And the traffic is beyond horrendous, worse than London. And even wrose, as the train conenctions are not great.

16 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I guess it most depend on where you grew up.

Coming North to West London/M4 corridor, my reaction was eurgh. And still is.

I went roundthe posh bts of Surrey. Big houses but ...... boring, nothing to fucking do.

Id guess 70% of Surry populaton live in places like Woking, which manage to combine expense and living in shithole estate. Its not an easy sell to majority of people.

Then palces like Brackenll I *hate*. They are dire. Endless estates and nothing to do. Anyone bring up kids i nthat area needs reporting to the social.

And the jobs really dont pay that well anymore. o me the M4 corridor is looking more n more like a long Luton.

And the traffic is beyond horrendous, worse than London. And even wrose, as the train conenctions are not great.

One of my friends wants to move to bracknell. Every time I drive through it I try to see why, but never can . Always nice to get out the other side towards the M4.

Just now, spunko said:

One of my friends wants to move to bracknell. Every time I drive through it I try to see why, but never can . Always nice to get out the other side towards the M4.

Bracknell was shit when it had jobs. Train took forever to go the ~25miles to Wloo - ~50m.

Now the jobs have gone and place is like a 3rd world.

Its nuts. They knocked down the old industrial buildigns and replaced them with social housing.

Its one great big benefits town now.

34 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Bracknell was shit when it had jobs. Train took forever to go the ~25miles to Wloo - ~50m.

Now the jobs have gone and place is like a 3rd world.

Its nuts. They knocked down the old industrial buildigns and replaced them with social housing.

Its one great big benefits town now.

I used the toilet in the KFC there last week, it was packed. Without exaggeration I think I was the only native in there at that point, including the staff. 

This was a weekday at 3pm as well. 

Although, on the topic of Surrey, I was in Epsom recently and surprised by how nice the High Street was. Very well kept, clean, and there were quite a few independent stores. And quite a few natives out shopping. 

It reminded me of my birth town in the mid 90s before The Great Terror. 

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

I used the toilet in the KFC there last week, it was packed. Without exaggeration I think I was the only native in there at that point, including the staff. 

This was a weekday at 3pm as well. 

Must have all took their dinner break at the same time at work ...

sleepwello'nights
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

That's the same refrain for all children when they get past the age of 10. Where are the villages, towns and cities you wont hear it?

I grew up in council estates, Shearwater in Woking, Britwell in Slough. They frequently feature in Police, camera, action programmes now. Does that make them more exciting and vibrant. Hmm.

When I was eighteen I went to Somerset for a holiday job in Hotels and catering. Probably inspired by Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday. But the four of us couldn't raise enough money to buy a bus. Anyway I got a job, they didn't and went home. I made friends with other young people my age, some of them had just finished their "A" levels and were going on to further education, mostly university. They couldn't wait to get away from the small seaside town they lived in. They wanted to get to the bright lights of the city. I guess most of us would be happy to have our children grow up in a small community near the countryside and coast. From my anecdotal experience the children didn't share that view and wanted nothing more than to escape.   

The grass is always greener.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

That's the same refrain for all children when they get past the age of 10. Where are the villages, towns and cities you wont hear it?

I grew up in council estates, Shearwater in Woking, Britwell in Slough. They frequently feature in Police, camera, action programmes now. Does that make them more exciting and vibrant. Hmm.

When I was eighteen I went to Somerset for a holiday job in Hotels and catering. Probably inspired by Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday. But the four of us couldn't raise enough money to buy a bus. Anyway I got a job, they didn't and went home. I made friends with other young people my age, some of them had just finished their "A" levels and were going on to further education, mostly university. They couldn't wait to get away from the small seaside town they lived in. They wanted to get to the bright lights of the city. I guess most of us would be happy to have our children grow up in a small community near the countryside and coast. From my anecdotal experience the children didn't share that view and wanted nothing more than to escape.   

The grass is always greener.

Ah but I didnt grow up in Surrey.

I came down from the North for a job, looked atthe place, then stayed in EReading, then moved to West London,then moved totally out ofthe area.

Fro the money and the income, I would have expected some pubs and what not.

I was surprised how littel people tended to go out. The very odd visit 'Up West' (which was East)was all they alluded too.

I might be a bit of a roamer, as I did not think too move of travelling anywhere between Newcastle  leeds and Hull.

sleepwello'nights
3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Fro the money and the income, I would have expected some pubs and what not.

Fuck me there are so many pubs in Reading, you must walk around with your eyes shut!

3 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Fuck me there are so many pubs in Reading, you must walk around with your eyes shut!

I meant Surrey.

I moved to Reading as it did have pubs and (shit) clubs and somethign to do, bascially.

Wight Flight
12 hours ago, spunko said:

Although, on the topic of Surrey, I was in Epsom recently and surprised by how nice the High Street was. Very well kept, clean, and there were quite a few independent stores. And quite a few natives out shopping. 

It reminded me of my birth town in the mid 90s before The Great Terror. 

Epsom was the nearest Macdonalds to me when I was growing up. Just a 30 minute drive from Bookham.

It was an annual treat. It also had an excellent artist's supplies shop (Annette's?) But became a bit of a shithole. Glad to hear it has cleaned up its act since.

• 3 months later...

Oh the irony. xD

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7667583/Location-Location-Location-presenter-Phil-Spencer-leads-opposition-Hampshire-plan-800-homes.html

Celebrity property developer Phil Spencer is leading objections to plans for 800 new properties near his £3.5million home. 

The proposed site in Bentley, Hampshire, named Northbrook Park, would reportedly provide shops, a school and 500 jobs close to Mr Spencer's property in Froyle, which boasts ten acres, a cinema, games rooms and a tennis court. 

Plans for the site, which would consist of 40 per cent 'affordable homes', include proposals to upgrade bus services and construct wildlife ponds, children's play areas and an outdoor gym, the Times reports.   

xD

6 hours ago, One percent said:

Oh the irony. xD

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7667583/Location-Location-Location-presenter-Phil-Spencer-leads-opposition-Hampshire-plan-800-homes.html

Celebrity property developer Phil Spencer is leading objections to plans for 800 new properties near his £3.5million home. 

The proposed site in Bentley, Hampshire, named Northbrook Park, would reportedly provide shops, a school and 500 jobs close to Mr Spencer's property in Froyle, which boasts ten acres, a cinema, games rooms and a tennis court. 

Plans for the site, which would consist of 40 per cent 'affordable homes', include proposals to upgrade bus services and construct wildlife ponds, children's play areas and an outdoor gym, the Times reports.   

xD

@DTMark

Is there a term for the inverse of a NIMBY, i.e. those without a house yet who want building literally everywhere so that they can finally buy a house and sod everyone else? If not, I think such a term needs to be invented, because there are quite a few people like that IME, particularly young people, who are so blinkered that they slavishly roll out the NIMBY phrase and do the housebuilders work for them.

Although, in this case it does stink of genuine NIMBYism to be fair, I feel sorry for the neighbours but not him. A lot of people are going to get a huge wake up call in the next few years when one of these "garden communities" monstrosities of 10,000 houses is planned in their town or village. Laugh now, cry tomorrow.

PS:

I'd also re-post what I said in another thread. If you look at the details of this planning application, the promoter is the local borough council. They'll be buying up the land (if they haven't already) at agricultural rates, possibly by compulsory purchase. If the landowner doesn't sell it to them at knock-down rates (£20k an acre instead of £1m an acre) then they'll go to court and buy it anyway; the landowner has absolutely no say whatsoever. The council will then act as "master developer" and apply to itself for planning permission - the chances of it saying no to itself are slim, let's be honest - and then once they've applied for planning permission (from themselves) they'll sell it to Taylor Wimpey etc for £1m an acre. Councils up and down the country are doing this, and I personally think it's outrageous. Who thought up this wonderful piece of legislation? Oliver "cunt" Letwin.

Archived