DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Pizza Shit

spygirl

How often do you eat fast food?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

UnconventionalWisdom
On 09/08/2019 at 11:40, spygirl said:

Same idea

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7340181/Costa-shrinks-cup-sizes-coffee-drinkers-less.html

Its mainly fucking hot water.

Go to maccyds. Better coffee, much cheaper.

I love coffee and when away on holiday I tend to get a 1EUR coffee from McDonalds twice a day as it's better than going somewhere where you need to pay more and get waited on. 

Mate i was with was like, "with coffee, first they exploit the producer in the 3rd world, then they exploit you".

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/08/2019 at 08:14, Craig said:

Most eateries work to a GP of 70% or thereabouts. Seem to remember Pizza Express' being significantly higher than that, though can't remember the exact details. Consider something like doughballs, the dough probably costs about 5p, garlic butter about the same again. Retails for what, £2.95 or so? 

The writing was on the wall for me when they started taking a cut of waiters' tips. Used to be pretty lucrative, and plenty of ways to maximise income too... 

The markup for domino's pizza is really low, it's not the food so much,  but the staff and premises. I seem to remember reading out of a 18 quid pizza they made about 2.50 gp. Pretty mental really - food nowadays is rarely profitable. 

Next... Tobey carvery 

On 09/08/2019 at 17:05, stokiescum said:

Even me from a doss hole in stoke has only been in a pitza place twice in my life and never had one delivered however the x loves em and so does the lodgers girlfriend maybe it’s a woman thing in the main

Once you've had one pizza from these places you've had them all. I think anecdotally you're right about women liking them more than men. 

12 hours ago, spunko said:

The markup for domino's pizza is really low, it's not the food so much,  but the staff and premises. I seem to remember reading out of a 18 quid pizza they made about 2.50 gp. Pretty mental really - food nowadays is rarely profitable. 

Next... Tobey carvery 

Once you've had one pizza from these places you've had them all. I think anecdotally you're right about women liking them more than men. 

More complex. Dominoes are franchiise.

I bet the Dominoes are taking £1+ per pizza.

Kids live Dominoes.I restrict it to sepcial occsaions and order before 4pm so I get 2 for 1.

Otherwise they are painfully expensive.

Kids *hate* Pape JOhns.

39 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Kids live Dominoes.I restrict it to sepcial occsaions and order before 4pm so I get 2 for 1.

Kids *hate* Pape JOhns.

Funny my kids hate pappa johns too. 

There are always deals on dominos. Never paid full price. Like you though, it’s a special occasion meal.  Waaay too unhealthy to eat on a regular basis 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Funny my kids hate pappa johns too. 

There are always deals on dominos. Never paid full price. Like you though, it’s a special occasion meal.  Waaay too unhealthy to eat on a regular basis 

They have very dynamic - and gouging  - prices/times.

Virtually give them away 1pm-4pm.

spyjr sometimes gets a small pizza rather than sandwich - its cheaper (and probably much unhealthier ..)

Wight Flight
7 hours ago, spygirl said:

Kids *hate* Pape JOhns.

Mine are the reverse. And they go to collect from Papa Johns - 2 massive pizzas that feed 4 for £10.

Not bad really.

Why would anyone buy a Dominos over a Dr Oetker? Made in Hull, £4 versus £18, tastes infinitely better and you don't have to neck 3 pints of water afterwards to recover from the salt shock.

To be fair the crusts at Dominos are nice. The rest, meh

(On a similar note I also wonder why the Dr hasn't come up with his own stuffed crust(TM) version. )

Edit: added a poll. I can't vote but mine is once a month I reckon.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Why would anyone buy a Dominos over a Dr Oetker? Made in Hull, £4 versus £18, tastes infinitely better and you don't have to neck 3 pints of water afterwards to recover from the salt shock.

To be fair the crusts at Dominos are nice. The rest, meh

(On a similar note I also wonder why the Dr hasn't come up with his own stuffed crust(TM) version. )

Edit: added a poll. I can't vote but mine is once a month I reckon.

You need to define what you mean by fast food. Remember, I have no kitchen. o.O

do fish and chips count?  They are very good you know and traditional. 

On 08/08/2019 at 20:53, SNACR said:

Gross margin of 50%???

Give over

When I worked for Greene king (2009-10) food led pubs had a gross margin of 32-33%

9 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

When I worked for Greene king (2009-10) food led pubs had a gross margin of 32-33%

I wouldn’t trust that unless you’ve seen the invoices as I feed my staff (excluding buying) that we work off that sort of margin - which is sort of in line with their expectations 

33% gross means ingredients cost on a £15 meal is £10 - less than £3 would be the real ingredients cost I’d guess.

Just now, SNACR said:

I wouldn’t trust that unless you’ve seen the invoices as I feed my staff (excluding buying) that we work off that sort of margin - which is sort of in line with their expectations 

33% gross means ingredients cost on a £15 meal is £10 - less than £3 would be the real ingredients cost I’d guess.

Perhaps I got my figures mixed up - that probably included staffing and premises. I recall the 4x multiple as being a general formula for our own carefully prepared unique microwaved frozen food from Brake Bros. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Perhaps I got my figures mixed up - that probably included staffing and premises. I recall the 4x multiple as being a general formula for our own carefully prepared unique microwaved frozen food from Brake Bros. 

That would be 70% gross which is what I work off as a general minimum something costing 25p ex vat retails 99p inc vat

2 hours ago, sam1994 said:

For the last 3 months I've been ordering a takeaway for 4 days a week. Time just isn't there at the moment. I'm actually stressed and have lost a shit ton of weight despite the eating habits. It seems really weird but I just cannot gain weight, just lose it. Still waiting on doctor's appointment to confirm the issue. Saw a doctor before but went away on holiday. 

We have the best fish and chips place in the UK and one of the best curry houses locally

Then there's a brilliant pizza and Chinese place to cover the rest.

I love to do the family cooking but I have no time. The prices of these takeaways seems quite high, but losing a day of work is obviously significantly higher. I checked my card statement and I am averaging £500 on takeaways a month (based on searching for Just Eat). Before you call me an avocado toast merchant.. I really do my best to cook a meal. But I also work ridiculous hours, hence why I'm up now. Sometimes a takeaway is convenient. I do try to make sure it's not crap though. Might be calorie adding though.

I've got an 'account' with PJ and Domino's. In true DOSBODS fashion, I always negotiate a price before ordering. 

MnS zap meal and salad would be healthier. And cheaper.

@sam1994 you should be eating like a king for that kind of expenditure. I would go with quality steaks, fish etc and you can bang out meals in 15 minutes of less. 6 minutes to do a steak and while it's resting do your veg and what not. Use the remainder of funds to get a cleaner in to do your pots n pans

I did see this the other day actually:

https://www.eater.com/2019/8/8/20791491/kevin-oleary-restaurants-money-shark-tank

‘Shark Tank’ Judge Kevin O’Leary Estimates He Spends $1K a Day on Food

xD

2 minutes ago, A_P said:

@sam1994 you should be eating like a king for that kind of expenditure. I would go with quality steaks, fish etc and you can bang out meals in 15 minutes of less. 6 minutes to do a steak and while it's resting do your veg and what not. Use the remainder of funds to get a cleaner in to do your pots n pans

I did see this the other day actually:

https://www.eater.com/2019/8/8/20791491/kevin-oleary-restaurants-money-shark-tank

‘Shark Tank’ Judge Kevin O’Leary Estimates He Spends $1K a Day on Food

xD

Just not buy your sk in Lidl (I know what was I thinking). Illegal steak, only it wasn’t. It was a lump of gristle sold as fillet steak

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just not buy your sk in Lidl (I know what was I thinking). Illegal steak, only it wasn’t. It was a lump of gristle sold as fillet steak

I wouldn't even buy it in waitrose tbf. If Sam is hard pressed for time he's better off having it shipped to his door.

6 minutes ago, A_P said:

I wouldn't even buy it in waitrose tbf. If Sam is hard pressed for time he's better off having it shipped to his door.

Agree but I was pressed for time. Should have driven to the butchers. Learnt that lesson. o.O

leonardratso
6 hours ago, sam1994 said:

For the last 3 months I've been ordering a takeaway for 4 days a week. Time just isn't there at the moment. I'm actually stressed and have lost a shit ton of weight despite the eating habits. It seems really weird but I just cannot gain weight, just lose it. Still waiting on doctor's appointment to confirm the issue. Saw a doctor before but went away on holiday. 

We have the best fish and chips place in the UK and one of the best curry houses locally

I love to do the family cooking but I have no time. The prices of these takeaways seems quite high, but losing a day of work is obviously significantly higher. I checked my card statement and I am averaging £500 on takeaways a month (based on searching for Just Eat). Before you call me an avocado toast merchant.. I really do my best to cook a meal. But I also work ridiculous hours, hence why I'm up now. Sometimes a takeaway is convenient. I do try to make sure it's not crap though. Might be calorie adding though.

I've got an 'account' with PJ and Domino's. In true DOSBODS fashion, I always negotiate a price before ordering. 

i knew someone years ago like this, whatever they ate they still lost weight, turned out they had bad diabetes, so you want to chase that up. Not saying you have it, and it may well be just your body rebelling against the garbage or even just stress, but best rule out the physical stuff. Im losing weight myself, but thats deliberate, i need to cos im a lard arse at the moment.

8 hours ago, sam1994 said:

Is your stress because of your business?  Wouldn't it be better to get some help with it and give yourself some time? This might be better for your health too in the long run.

14 hours ago, sam1994 said:

If you're in business you will get inevitably get periods when you've got to do a big push, like moving premises, and you'll need to drink a load of coffee and eat takeaways etc. to keep going and if it's say a lot of lifting and shifting it's no good having a bowl of lentil soup, in any case. I do actually think that you will largely undo the damage by going back to a better diet. You can keep it up probably constantly for most of your twenties and maybe thirties but if you're older than that if you're having that work lifestyle for anything other than the odd big push mentioned you'll need to alter work.

Just because a lot of people seem to be struggling with gross margin on this thread it is the price of the sale minus the ingredients cost.

It does *not* include any element of staff wages or rent for the premises as those costs all exist whether you make a sale or not. 

Archived