DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Pizza Shit

spygirl

How often do you eat fast food?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, sam1994 said:

I got some news today. It is what it is. 

Had to go private because NHS now moving emergency appointments in to the 8 week range after you've booked.

Routine appointment is now 24 weeks. 

Going to take a break from work in terms of physical presence and try and do remote with meetup twice a week. 

What kind of news - not good, or very not good?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Masked Tulip
9 hours ago, Starsend said:

Can you elaborate on what a panic attack feels like. Think I've had a couple over the years.

Terrible. I suffer from panic disorder which means that I frequently get panic attacks out of the blue. I have been hospitalised numerous times over the past 15 or so years with them.

There are so all sorts of reasons why you can have them - physical reasons or mental reasons that manifest themselves physically. Stress is the major cause but so can things like asthma or trapped nerves. Stress can take you down a long road along which developing panic attacks is just one of many things.

There are many symptoms to a full-blown panic attack - you can get just one of them or all of them. Shortness of breath or the feeling that you cannot breathe is very common. Tightness in the chest and/or throat. Your airways can tighten up which alters the rate of breathing making you feel breathe too quickly. You thus hyperventilate and it alters the blood chemistry making the feelings of not getting enough oxygen all too real. Heart papiltations - your heart can race or it can feel as if it is not beating giving the feeling of having a heart attack. It is often difficult for medics to tell the difference between a heart attack and a panic attack.

Tingling in the fingers and toes due to the hyperventilation and resulting changes in blood gases. A feeling of feeling remote from your body but trapped within it. A feeling of being associated from your body. The need to desperately escape from wherever you are - a panic attack is basically the flight or fight mechanism kicking it. Everything moving around you at a zillion miles per hour. Sweating, especially in the palms. Eyesight blurring or becoming accutely sharp.

They are very, very difficult to control even when you have read all the literature on them. Your subconscious mind, which is more powerful than your conscious mind, just takes over and you are very much along for the ride. It is frightening and there is very little you can do. You can try and control your breathing but it takes time.

I cycled to my bank last week to put a cheque in. I had hyperventilated on the cyles journey. By the time I got to the machine and stopped exercising my breathing, and hence my blood oxygen levels were all over the place. The machine would not accept my chque, my stress levels went up a notch and I knew that a panic attack was underway. At which point the very nice young man from the Halifax, who is a good guy, stepped forward to tell me how to use the machine. All I could do was brush him away rudely - not because I thought that he was annoying but because I was desperately trying not to exhale. I was trying to control my breathing by not breathing out too quickly and thus trying to get my blood gases back to normal. I was hyperventilating.

But look at him - listening to him talk - from my perspective was like me being James Bond or some other agent who had been given a truth drug. His speech was coming out slowly to me but he, and everyone else in the bank, was moving as if they were Speedy Gonzales to my perception. At which point they all began to spin and I had to rudely walk away from him and find a seat. He looked rather upset at me from a distance.

So I sat down for about 15 - 20 minutes, kept my mouth closed, stuck a finger on one nostril to reduce the flow of air in and out of my body and - feeling as if I was dying - I slowly managed to get myself out of it. But for the duration of the panic attack I felt that I was dying. My conscious mind knew that it was a panic attack but my subconscious was in charge and I was just along for the ride.

Once on my way back to normal I had a chat with the lad in the bank and explained things.

8 hours ago, sam1994 said:

Things have gone well and I have become top of my field at a young age. My friends are often looking to work for me or ask me for advice.

But I think I've caused myself permanent damage now. 

Ironically, my parents actually consider me to be somewhat lazy. They'll sometimes catch me napping at 7PM to 8PM and assume I've been lounging around all day. 

If someone asked is it worth it, I'd say.. yes.. but just about.. 

I stupidly worked myself into illness and, as I think @Spunko mentioned, it does you no good as you get ill and then no one cares. You just burn yourself out and do all sorts of damge.

When I was working in IT, and travelling the world being a guru and feeding my own insecurities and own ego via the job, I ended up having an absolutely appalling diet. I would eat so much junk food whilst doing the long hours. It was simply easy to order some burgers or some fried chicken. Or a pizza - too many pizzas. I would do this because I would often be tired and stressed and they were just the easy option. But also I was often in some hotel in some strange city and the familiarity of getting a MacD's or a Domino's was easier than trying to find somewhere that cooked something decent and healthy.

This just added to the stress because what we eat is who we are physically. You put crap in and you get crap back out.

Somewhere along the way I became coeliac which meant that the more wheat products I was eating - and I was cramming myself with the stuff daily - was making me ill. It builds up over time inside of you leading to inflammation internally, stops you absorbing nutrients and thus you begin to lose weight like crazy. It is also a HUGE stressor as your intestines, stomach, airways, become painfully inflammed due to all the gluten. I had terrible stomach pains, IBS and even a type of weeping acne at times - all due to stupidly gorging on wheat.

Plus I was stressed through the job, stressed through the non-stop learning of IT, stressed through using the job to prove things to myself and to others and stressed because I was poisoning myself through my crap diet.

Sorry, I am ranting.

Careers are NOT worth it. Chasing money is NOT worth it. Using either or both to try to sort out perceived or genuine wrongs that may have been done to you in the past is NOT worth it. Try to learn to live in the moment. Bloody difficult to do but perhaps there is a reason why it is hard to achieve.

I should write a book about all this stuff.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You should. That's an excellent description. My first panic attack, triggered by long-term overwork and stress, lasted pretty much 24 hours, then I had a week of what felt like 'flu - actually utter mental exhaustion - then depression for three months (would have been much longer or even terminal if I hadn't learned about CBT) during which time I had more, shorter panic attacks. For about a year after that I couldn't handle crowds or confined spaces (great when working in London) but eventually talked/wrote myself back to normal.

It was the worst experience of my life, and paradoxically also one of the most constructive because it forced me to face a great many truths about myself and the world, and change my life and attitude significantly. This was over 20 years ago.

The Masked Tulip
2 minutes ago, Alex said:

You should. That's an excellent description. My first panic attack, triggered by long-term overwork and stress, lasted pretty much 24 hours, then I had a week of what felt like 'flu - actually utter mental exhaustion - then depression for three months (would have been much longer or even terminal if I hadn't learned about CBT) during which time I had more, shorter panic attacks. For about a year after that I couldn't handle crowds or confined spaces (great when working in London) but eventually talked/wrote myself back to normal.

It was the worst experience of my life, and paradoxically also one of the most constructive because it forced me to face a great many truths about myself and the world, and change my life and attitude significantly. This was over 20 years ago.

Sorry that you experienced this but great that you can see the positive in.

The past 15 years have been rubbish for me workwise / financially but I consider myself a much better person today than back then. I have grown. Not that I was a bad person back then - quite the opposite in fact, I think was too good and trying to be too helpful whilst being too sensitive to and unaware of narcissists in life. In way this kind of thing is an opportunity to change your life for the better.

Feeling drained in the days after a panic attack is very common due to the vast amount of adrenaline that flows through your body during one. Being physically and mentally exhausted is common. Feeling that you have the 'flu or being whalloped with some virus is all too common.

The depression is a bugger though as it can seriously hinder any recovery. Coming to accept that these things happen, and may well return in the future out of the blue, is very important I think. Because they will return at some point when we least expect them to. Thinking that we can beat this forever is where the problem occurs as, when the next one inevitably happens, it can send people off the deep end if they had believed that panic attacks were in the past.

Doctors are seeing far greater numbers of people suffering this every year. The numbers just keep climbing. It is the crappy world that we now find ourselves living in and so many of us have worries that are often beyond our control.

leonardratso
54 minutes ago, spunko said:

What kind of news - not good, or very not good?

wanting to write a will cant mean anything can it?

4 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Terrible. I suffer from panic disorder which means that I frequently get panic attacks out of the blue. I have been hospitalised numerous times over the past 15 or so years with them.

There are so all sorts of reasons why you can have them - physical reasons or mental reasons that manifest themselves physically. Stress is the major cause but so can things like asthma or trapped nerves. Stress can take you down a long road along which developing panic attacks is just one of many things.

There are many symptoms to a full-blown panic attack - you can get just one of them or all of them. Shortness of breath or the feeling that you cannot breathe is very common. Tightness in the chest and/or throat. Your airways can tighten up which alters the rate of breathing making you feel breathe too quickly. You thus hyperventilate and it alters the blood chemistry making the feelings of not getting enough oxygen all too real. Heart papiltations - your heart can race or it can feel as if it is not beating giving the feeling of having a heart attack. It is often difficult for medics to tell the difference between a heart attack and a panic attack.

Tingling in the fingers and toes due to the hyperventilation and resulting changes in blood gases. A feeling of feeling remote from your body but trapped within it. A feeling of being associated from your body. The need to desperately escape from wherever you are - a panic attack is basically the flight or fight mechanism kicking it. Everything moving around you at a zillion miles per hour. Sweating, especially in the palms. Eyesight blurring or becoming accutely sharp.

They are very, very difficult to control even when you have read all the literature on them. Your subconscious mind, which is more powerful than your conscious mind, just takes over and you are very much along for the ride. It is frightening and there is very little you can do. You can try and control your breathing but it takes time.

I cycled to my bank last week to put a cheque in. I had hyperventilated on the cyles journey. By the time I got to the machine and stopped exercising my breathing, and hence my blood oxygen levels were all over the place. The machine would not accept my chque, my stress levels went up a notch and I knew that a panic attack was underway. At which point the very nice young man from the Halifax, who is a good guy, stepped forward to tell me how to use the machine. All I could do was brush him away rudely - not because I thought that he was annoying but because I was desperately trying not to exhale. I was trying to control my breathing by not breathing out too quickly and thus trying to get my blood gases back to normal. I was hyperventilating.

But look at him - listening to him talk - from my perspective was like me being James Bond or some other agent who had been given a truth drug. His speech was coming out slowly to me but he, and everyone else in the bank, was moving as if they were Speedy Gonzales to my perception. At which point they all began to spin and I had to rudely walk away from him and find a seat. He looked rather upset at me from a distance.

So I sat down for about 15 - 20 minutes, kept my mouth closed, stuck a finger on one nostril to reduce the flow of air in and out of my body and - feeling as if I was dying - I slowly managed to get myself out of it. But for the duration of the panic attack I felt that I was dying. My conscious mind knew that it was a panic attack but my subconscious was in charge and I was just along for the ride.

Once on my way back to normal I had a chat with the lad in the bank and explained things.

I stupidly worked myself into illness and, as I think @Spunko mentioned, it does you no good as you get ill and then no one cares. You just burn yourself out and do all sorts of damge.

When I was working in IT, and travelling the world being a guru and feeding my own insecurities and own ego via the job, I ended up having an absolutely appalling diet. I would eat so much junk food whilst doing the long hours. It was simply easy to order some burgers or some fried chicken. Or a pizza - too many pizzas. I would do this because I would often be tired and stressed and they were just the easy option. But also I was often in some hotel in some strange city and the familiarity of getting a MacD's or a Domino's was easier than trying to find somewhere that cooked something decent and healthy.

This just added to the stress because what we eat is who we are physically. You put crap in and you get crap back out.

Somewhere along the way I became coeliac which meant that the more wheat products I was eating - and I was cramming myself with the stuff daily - was making me ill. It builds up over time inside of you leading to inflammation internally, stops you absorbing nutrients and thus you begin to lose weight like crazy. It is also a HUGE stressor as your intestines, stomach, airways, become painfully inflammed due to all the gluten. I had terrible stomach pains, IBS and even a type of weeping acne at times - all due to stupidly gorging on wheat.

Plus I was stressed through the job, stressed through the non-stop learning of IT, stressed through using the job to prove things to myself and to others and stressed because I was poisoning myself through my crap diet.

Sorry, I am ranting.

Careers are NOT worth it. Chasing money is NOT worth it. Using either or both to try to sort out perceived or genuine wrongs that may have been done to you in the past is NOT worth it. Try to learn to live in the moment. Bloody difficult to do but perhaps there is a reason why it is hard to achieve.

Thanks Mate, that's really useful. Sorry to hear you're struggling though.

I believe there is a difference between panic and anxiety attacks. When I was a teen I used to sometimes get panic attacks. I remember them well, absolutely crazy pounding heart where I was convinced it was going to give out at any moment.

I haven't had one of them for twenty years. What I get now is something different. It doesn't have the crazy pounding heart it's more an awareness of your heart but the main thing is an overwhelming feeling of terror, that you're going to do die. It's fecking awful. Usually lasts under an hour. They come out of the blue. I think high alcohol intake can trigger them more frequently but they aren't always triggered by it.

Deep breathing helps and saying to yourself 'fuck it, didn't die last time so why should I this time.' Weird things and very unpleasant. It's basically something triggering the fight and flight response.

The Masked Tulip
3 minutes ago, Starsend said:

Thanks Mate, that's really useful. Sorry to hear you're struggling though.

I believe there is a difference between panic and anxiety attacks. When I was a teen I used to sometimes get panic attacks. I remember them well, absolutely crazy pounding heart where I was convinced it was going to give out at any moment.

I haven't had one of them for twenty years. What I get now is something different. It doesn't have the crazy pounding heart it's more an awareness of your heart but the main thing is an overwhelming feeling of terror, that you're going to do die. It's fecking awful. Usually lasts under an hour. They come out of the blue. I think high alcohol intake can trigger them more frequently but they aren't always triggered by it.

Deep breathing helps and saying to yourself 'fuck it, didn't die last time so why should I this time.' Weird things and very unpleasant. It's basically something triggering the fight and flight response.

It is the same thing. Just the use of language to describe what is the same thing. You have a generalised underlying anxiety - which can be due to physical or mental reasons or both - and they manifest themselves as a panic attack. What you describe having is a panic attack. You can have all the physical symptoms I described above or just some of them.

Here's a trick to help you the next time you have one or you feel one coming on.

Stuff a bit of tissue up one nostril or close one nostril by placing your finger on it. Then breathe in and out through the other nostril. This slows down your breathing and stops you breathing too quickly. Aim to try to make everything slow down - slowly breath in, importantly then try to hold your breath for longer than you breathed in and then breathe out slowly again. This should rebalance your blood gases and take away that feeling of terror, stop the heart pounding.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is the same thing. Just the use of language to describe what is the same thing. You have a generalised underlying anxiety - which can be due to physical or mental reasons or both - and they manifest themselves as a panic attack. What you describe having is a panic attack. You can have all the physical symptoms I described above or just some of them.

Here's a trick to help you the next time you have one or you feel one coming on.

Stuff a bit of tissue up one nostril or close one nostril by placing your finger on it. Then breathe in and out through the other nostril. This slows down your breathing and stops you breathing too quickly. Aim to try to make everything slow down - slowly breath in, importantly then try to hold your breath for longer than you breathed in and then breathe out slowly again. This should rebalance your blood gases and take away that feeling of terror, stop the heart pounding.

Ah ok, but I don't get the pounding heart like I did when I was younger which is odd I think. I think some people are much more prone to anxiety although it's very common. Have you found anything that really helps with the underlying cause? I guess meditation, diet, getting your life where you want it to be etc.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time.

The Masked Tulip
6 hours ago, Starsend said:

Ah ok, but I don't get the pounding heart like I did when I was younger which is odd I think. I think some people are much more prone to anxiety although it's very common. Have you found anything that really helps with the underlying cause? I guess meditation, diet, getting your life where you want it to be etc.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time.

Mindfulness meditation is very good.

But ultimately it comes down to 2 things IMPO.

1. Removing the stressors from your life.

2. Working out what is physically and/or mentally is causing it. 

Stress can really screw your body up badly slowly over many years, so slowly that you do not realise it is going on.

In terms of mentally I had some some issues that were eating me away from inside going back to my childhood - yes, sounds a cliche - involving some crappy siblings and other stuff. They were never addressed when I was young and just devoured me inside over the decades.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

2. Working out what is physically and/or mentally is causing it. 

And then killing it. o.O

The Masked Tulip

Depends what you mean by sleep paralysis?

All of us get some kind of sleep paralysis throughout our lives. It is just a natural thing and not to be feared, although it can feel terrible at the time.

But if you mean something more akin to a panic attack at night then, no, I thankfully have not had them. But I know several people who do get them as part of their anxiety. They are actually far more common than people realise. There are very good physical and mental reasons why people tend to get these things in the middle of the night. Once you know why they occur then they become less frightening and you are better able to deal with them.

If you are eating crunchy nut and getting a less than crunchy exit that sounds more like coeliac / gluten intolerance than dairy. Although both are often linked and cutting out both is often recommended when trying to diagnose what is the problem.

But very soft or loose stools is a classic sign of gluten intolerance / coeliac disease after you have eaten any given of wheat. This can be solved fairly easily by giving up wheat. In a matter of a few months you can allow your insides to heal. The bugger is actually finding foods with no wheat in as they food firms stick it in almost everything these days.

It usually takes a minimum of 30 days wheat-free for people to feel the benefits of being gluten free. During that time you body can expel a lot of, um, crap, that has been lining your intestines and stopping you absorbing nutrients from your food. Something to consider. Overall it will take several months of being wheat-free to recover.

On 28/08/2019 at 12:49, spunko said:

I've never had sleep paralysis, according to Dr Google everyone gets it at least once... Can't wait...

I've gone through regular spells of it since I was about 18. It's linked to stress I reckon for me personally. You don't want to experience it trust me it's horrible, it's like being entombed in your own body, your mind wakes up but your body doesn't, you can't move, can't ask for help, can't open your eyes but can still hear and feel. You go into panic mode, heart races starts feeling like you're going to have a heart attack. Have to talk to yourself to try calm yourself down. Feels like it lasts a lifetime. Some people get a feeling some demon is in the room with them, I don't but fuck I bet that makes it even more fun.

John Henry Fuseli - The Nightmare.JPG

21 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I've gone through regular spells of it since I was about 18. It's linked to stress I reckon for me personally. You don't want to experience it trust me it's horrible, it's like being entombed in your own body, your mind wakes up but your body doesn't, you can't move, can't ask for help, can't open your eyes but can still hear and feel. You go into panic mode, heart races starts feeling like you're going to have a heart attack. Have to talk to yourself to try calm yourself down. Feels like it lasts a lifetime. Some people get a feeling some demon is in the room with them, I don't but fuck I bet that makes it even more fun.

John Henry Fuseli - The Nightmare.JPG

Do you have migraines? I read that it's linked to that. I very rarely get headaches let alone migraines, did once have an absolute stonker of a migraine in the night where my head felt like it was about to explode and I thought I was going to die. Can't really explain it but it only lasted for 20s and hasn't reoccured since..

Chewing Grass
9 minutes ago, spunko said:

Do you have migraines? I read that it's linked to that. I very rarely get headaches let alone migraines, did once have an absolute stonker of a migraine in the night where my head felt like it was about to explode and I thought I was going to die. Can't really explain it but it only lasted for 20s and hasn't reoccured since..

Sounds like what's known as a thunderclap headache.

A headache is called "thunderclap headache" if it is severe in character and reaches maximum severity within seconds to minutes of onset.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderclap_headache

The term "thunderclap headache" was introduced in 1986 in a report by John Day and Neil Raskin, neurologists at the University of California, San Francisco, in a report of a 42-year-old woman who had experienced several sudden headaches and was found to have an aneurysm that had not ruptured.

This type of headache pain doesn’t gradually build in intensity. Instead, it’s an intense and very painful headache as soon as it starts. In fact, it’s frequently described as the worse headache of one’s life.

https://www.healthline.com/health/thunderclap-headaches

9 minutes ago, spunko said:

Nope don't think I've ever had a migraine. From when I researched it doesn't seem they have much of an idea why it happens.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I’m sure this has been discussed on here recently. 

Accordingto that article, he lived in a rented flat in Peterborough. 33 million to zilch. Someone made out like a bandit. 

They need to die. They went from excellent to utterly shit, somehow thinking their customers wouldn't notice and would keep on paying high prices for crap.

Hopefully somebody far better will fill the gap.

Cunts.

10 minutes ago, Starsend said:

They need to die. They went from excellent to utterly shit, somehow thinking their customers wouldn't notice and would keep on paying high prices for crap.

Hopefully somebody far better will fill the gap.

Cunts.

Agree. They went from being nice restaurants, to being effectively chain semi-fast food joints.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

How the hell they can go bankrupt when you see what they charge for what is essentially cheese on toast is beyond me 

Works out at £1.6million debt per restaurant.

You could probably buy the restaurants 3 times over for that, yet they're leasehold.

PE strikes again.

Archived