DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Pizza Shit

spygirl

How often do you eat fast food?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Brag of the week.

Mine just has warm, quite hot and hot.

:D

It actually works as well. 220 degrees for 7 or 8 minutes. No tray, straight onto the pre heated rack.

Not quite as clever as DurhamBorn's fancy stand alone bit of kit but a nice feature none the less.

The plan for the next house is to build a proper outdoor oven. Might happen.....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Tbf frozen pizzas are probably among the cleanest things, I don't know tho I've no direct experience of the conditions. I think it would be pretty hard to conceal pre-chewed toppings or a dollop of semen on a pizza. 

I used to work in a chicken Kiev place. One of the guys would put his false teeth on the belt with the kievs being formed and then someone else would grab them before they went through the batter/breader. They did get breaded at least once though. They were a full top set of gnashers.

Castlevania
7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

The cheap M&S pizzas are actually surprisingly good. You can buy 2 pizzas and 2 sides for a tenner. I usually add a bit more cheese, some dried herbs and some olive oil and then stick in the oven on the pizza setting.

By the way, the best pizza I've ever tasted was on a camp site in Yugoslavia in the mid 80's. Cooked in a clay oven in front of the diners. Less than £1. The cafe's menu was the shortest ever. Margharita pizza or chicken and peas (which was also excellent and £1). Beers if I remember correctly were 30p!

The Co-op pizzas are reasonably good - I only buy them when they’re on offer. They recently ran a promotion where you could get two pizzas and 4 bottles of Budweiser for £5. Use your NUS card and save a further 50p. Bargain!

12 hours ago, One percent said:

The posh m&s pizzas for about seven quid look exactly the same as the 3.50 pizzas from lidl.  

I only ever buy them when they're reduced. The garage M&S shop round the corner is terrible for stock control, so usually always have them half price after 5pm.

Sadly, the Co-op down the road seems to have sorted out their stock issues, and never have reduced pizzas any more. 

Wight Flight
4 hours ago, Craig said:

I only ever buy them when they're reduced. The garage M&S shop round the corner is terrible for stock control, so usually always have them half price after 5pm.

Sadly, the Co-op down the road seems to have sorted out their stock issues, and never have reduced pizzas any more. 

I got 40 frozen pizza pucks from Bookers for about £15 (reduced)

Add a very big tin of spiced tomato sauce (about £5) and we are doing a really good job of creating very cheap pizzas.

leonardratso
8 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I got 40 frozen pizza pucks from Bookers for about £15 (reduced)

Add a very big tin of spiced tomato sauce (about £5) and we are doing a really good job of creating very cheap pizzas.

curry it, hmmm, i love curry sauce.

• 4 weeks later...
stop_the_craziness

How does the "value" of something rise so exponentially over such a short time?  This private equity doo-dah really does have to stop.  From the article:

1965: Pizza Express founder, the late Peter Boizot, brought a pizza oven from Napoli and a chef from Sicily to open his first restaurant in London's Soho.

1992: Mr Boizot grew his empire over the following almost-three decades before selling it for £15m to Hugh Osmond and Luke Johnson, the man who was - until recently - chairman of Patisserie Valerie. They floated it on the stock market the next year and ultimately sold out in 1997 when it was worth £150m.

2003: It was taken private again in a £278m deal by two private equity firms who then floated it two years later - although it lasted less than a year on the public markets before it was returned to private equity hands.

2014: It changed hands again, this time to be acquired for £900m by its current owner, Chinese private equity house Hony Capital.

2020: It has more than 600 restaurants globally: 454 in the UK, including five franchises; 19 in Ireland; 24 in Hong Kong; 6 in Singapore; 14 in UAE; 60 in China; and 49 other international sites operated by franchisees.

leonardratso
1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

How does the "value" of something rise so exponentially over such a short time?  This private equity doo-dah really does have to stop.  From the article:

1965: Pizza Express founder, the late Peter Boizot, brought a pizza oven from Napoli and a chef from Sicily to open his first restaurant in London's Soho.

1992: Mr Boizot grew his empire over the following almost-three decades before selling it for £15m to Hugh Osmond and Luke Johnson, the man who was - until recently - chairman of Patisserie Valerie. They floated it on the stock market the next year and ultimately sold out in 1997 when it was worth £150m.

2003: It was taken private again in a £278m deal by two private equity firms who then floated it two years later - although it lasted less than a year on the public markets before it was returned to private equity hands.

2014: It changed hands again, this time to be acquired for £900m by its current owner, Chinese private equity house Hony Capital.

2020: It has more than 600 restaurants globally: 454 in the UK, including five franchises; 19 in Ireland; 24 in Hong Kong; 6 in Singapore; 14 in UAE; 60 in China; and 49 other international sites operated by franchisees.

now worth £076

leonardratso
2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Well, at least it's positive.

sorry forgot the -ve sign there, tell you what theres a quid down the back of the sofa, if you find it, you can buy the company off the chinese with it.

Dont forget the debt that comes with it though.

On 23/07/2020 at 22:12, Calcutta said:

And just FYI the only difference between M&S food and any other crap made in the dame factory is that M&S insist on the boxes and packaging being immaculate. The crap inside is no different from anyone else's.

As with any product, not just food, it’s true in some cases but very far from being close to a truism. 
In the M&S case their level of supply chain invigilation significant exceeds industry peers also.

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54551746

The owner of Franco Manca and The Real Greek restaurants has fired a scathing broadside at rivals, saying the sector was heading for a shake-out well before the pandemic struck.

Fulham Shore said too many firms had been "convinced they could swim like Mark Spitz" while being kept afloat by artificial means.

However, some of its own restaurants were breaking trading records, it said.

The firm said it was well placed to benefit from changes in the market.

"We believe that the restaurant market in the UK was heading for a correction well before the coronavirus outbreak," Fulham Shore said.

"There were too many restaurant businesses with owners and managers convinced they could swim like Mark Spitz, but which were actually being kept afloat by some badly made rubber rings and various leaky flotation devices.

"They were driven to expand by historically cheap debt, supposed high exit multiples on sale of the businesses and run by management teams who had never experienced either a downturn in the UK economy or an oversupply in the restaurant sector."

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

The owner of Franco Manca and The Real Greek restaurants has fired a scathing broadside at rivals, saying the sector was heading for a shake-out well before the pandemic struck.

Fulham Shore said too many firms had been "convinced they could swim like Mark Spitz" while being kept afloat by artificial means.

"We believe that the restaurant market in the UK was heading for a correction well before the coronavirus outbreak," Fulham Shore said.

"There were too many restaurant businesses with owners and managers convinced they could swim like Mark Spitz, but which were actually being kept afloat by some badly made rubber rings and various leaky flotation devices.

"They were driven to expand by historically cheap debt, supposed high exit multiples on sale of the businesses and run by management teams who had never experienced either a downturn in the UK economy or an oversupply in the restaurant sector."

Franco Manca? Put it in the death by private equity thread now, it'll be snapped up shortly I suspect.

10 hours ago, spygirl said:

Hubris.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

I did think that.

To quote Mrs spy - what ees this sourdough pizza sheet?

is she spanish? or mexican?

• 3 weeks later...

PizzaExpress names Allan Leighton as chairman as bondholders take control

Hedge funds handed ownership after paying down more than £400m of debt in restructuring

https://www.ft.com/content/b409de9f-de6e-4c8f-ba4e-fd165111476e

Comments, one of which echos earlier comments from this and other threads:

A popover with more user information
13 MINUTES AGO

I would sooner eat the sole of my shoe than a pizza from PizzaExpress. Overpriced stodge served up by moody (and underpaid/exploited) East Europeans.
thumb_upRecommend1replyReply
shareShare
A dialog showing a permalink to the comment
flagReport

remove
A Fund Manager
A popover with more user information
27 MINUTES AGO

Tough job. Fundamentally the business was over earning whilst competition was low and the business was handed down from one PE firm to the next with each new owner raising prices.

Unfortunately for them, market dynamics do eventually come in - now there are a fair few disruptors making (sometimes better) pizza cheaper.  Franco Manca is the obvious one. 

And then there’s COVID. I do not envy Mr Leighton. 

I should add Ive not had a Franco pizza.

PatronizingGit
On 15/10/2020 at 10:19, spygirl said:

My dad reckons spoons is going the same way. 

Im not so sure. If this carries on, at the end of it, spoons may well have a monopoly!

Archived