• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Degree or Not degree? That is the question

Degree or not degree? That is the question  

78 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you have a university degree?

    • Yes - I am a very intelligent person
      31
    • I have more than one and regard those who ticked box one as inferior.
      20
    • No. (Answer kept short to avoid confusing us thickos)
      22
    • Not another bloody poll. None of your business.
      5


Recommended Posts

XYY option sorry. Who GAF? Usually only clever people whose life circumstances meant that they haven't got one.

Anyone who can't tell whether people are clever or not irrespective of the person's academic qualifications (or even punctuation skills :-) ) shouldn't ever be responsible for recruiting even a waitress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

XYY option sorry. Who GAF? Usually only clever people whose life circumstances meant that they haven't got one.

Anyone who can't tell whether people are clever or not irrespective of the person's academic qualifications (or even punctuation skills :-) ) shouldn't ever be responsible for recruiting even a waitress.

To give the background:

This spun from @Tdog rubbishing the validity of the views of a friend of mine (which I had already said I disagreed with) on the basis that she probably had a degree.

I confirmed that she did but that degree didn't mean SJW because most people on here will have degrees but are totally against SJW views.

@Wight Flight recognised this as being the unfounded assertion that it actually was and hence this poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chose the wrong subject at university, just scraped through my first year exams, failed my second year ones, then gave up. I've thought about doing an OU degree but can't see it actually being any use, I'd only be doing it to prove a point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

To give the background:

This spun from @Tdog rubbishing the validity of the views of a friend of mine (which I had already said I disagreed with) on the basis that she probably had a degree.

I confirmed that she did but that degree didn't mean SJW because most people on here will have degrees but are totally against SJW views.

@Wight Flight recognised this as being the unfounded assertion that it actually was and hence this poll.

OK thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense, I was slightly surprised that WF posted this. I am tending more to the XYY option on polls anyway. 

Anecdotally a woman at my work (French)  hilariously combines being fairly thick and yet snooty about people's "profiles" being appropriate for their role. I have had to leave the lunch table twice to avoid starting to laugh when she talks about this kind of thing. In IT some of the best people (I am not one of these) have few qualifications.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just say that this isn't a value judgement; my point was that a degree was incidental and didn't correlate with particular views.

Not that people are more / less clever.

I had two mates when I worked in the City who were both clever and doing very well.  They both however had an issue with not having a degree.

Nobody except them was bothered; the MD didn't have a degree and it made no difference whatsoever to the way people viewed them.

One wasn't satisfied until he'd told people several times that he'd had a place at Imperial but didn't go.

The other totally wrecked his career by deciding in his late twenties that he had to get a law degree; which he then went on to entirely balls up.

Nobody, literally nobody was bothered that they didn't have degrees except they themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tdog said:

Its because their views have never been challenged and they've been brought up in a middle class environment where everything they say is lovely and nice and no one will tell them they're full of shite. 

Eh? You've never met my brothers and sisters, I think! We're close, but talking shite will get you remorselessly ridiculed in my family. And I thank them for it... (though not always at the exact moment)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my issue is that some people see a degree as a measure of intelligence, and therefore if you don't have one you are thick. The police and nursing making them mandatory doesn't help dispel this myth.

I don't have one. It really doesn't bother me - I had a very interesting time between 16 and 21, much more so than my contemporaries. 

But I think I am reasonably bright and therefore have the advantage of understanding that not everyone that is degreeless is a dimwit.

And not everyone with a degree is intelligent (See D. Abbot and D Lammy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a degree. It was a complete and utter waste of time.

Having a degree doesn’t make you clever or special. What annoys me is the number of employers who now ask for degrees for jobs that traditionally you could do straight from school simply as a way of filtering applicants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

I have a degree. It was a complete and utter waste of time.

Having a degree doesn’t make you clever or special. What annoys me is the number of employers who now ask for degrees for jobs that traditionally you could do straight from school simply as a way of filtering applicants.

I have an easier way. Randomly put 9 out of 10 CVs into the waste bin. I only want to employ lucky people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a degree in my late 50s as a piss take.  Its an  ex Poly and the majority of the students on my course are unemployable.  

Why a young person with any drive and talent would waste their time doing a degree I don't know . Maybe exclude medicine,engineering and law degrees.

Also the BAME shite does my brain in. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a BSc that I did because I was interested in the subject. Had a great time, met a lot of great people but it was bugger all use for getting a well paid job though I don't regret doing it. A couple of years later I did a MSc specifically with the intention of getting into a relatively well paid industry. This worked, but I used very little of what I was taught. Over my career I've found that degree or not is no predictor of competence but does at least generally correlate with a 3 digit IQ for people who studied in the 70s - 90's. That seems to have changed, especially outside STEM subjects with more recent Business, Media of Humanities degrees seemingly only indicating that you might be bright enough to work in a call centre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a hand in other business outside the UK..this is a question that I have never thought of. People whom I realise are savvy, work hard and have the right connections get work. I havent been in a position to look at specific technical jobs to offer out. Wife does that for the few that arise and uses a similar criteria. Where there has been a course required for someone to self improve and add to my benefit I have clearly paid. 

In the uk I dont hold a degree with the worth it was. If I was in an employing in the uk I would definitely head hunt A Level..even GCSE students and keep them sweet.

I have plural higher qualifications. Most now specialist for which I needed for wonga earning. 

Only one in a large extended family with such credentials. The rest have faired the same as me. It took me years of missed work to eventually catch up.

Anyone with half a brain cell would start snooping at potential candidates at the earlier stages in my view such as GCSE or A level.

So to put it short I dont view having a degree or not as a sign of intelligence. Might be  marker and nothing more.

I just wish employers would look outside the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found my degree certificate recently during the great clear-out. I had never noticed before, but now suspect they had adjusted my results to turn it into a pass. I overdid the revision for second year exams and blanked them and by the third year DGAF. The coursework results were all in the 65% to 75% range, but every exam was exactly 30% xD making for a desmond tutu. This was Law at Lancaster University late nineties. This suggests that at least this university was taking the commercial outlook on tertiary education and massaging the figures to produce the desired results twenty years ago.

Immaterial in my case as having a degree has been of zero benefit and almost certainly a negative on my particular employment prospects. Does add to my suspicion that British Universities have been more about keeping their staff in employment than providing useful education for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NTB said:

I have a BSc that I did because I was interested in the subject. Had a great time, met a lot of great people but it was bugger all use for getting a well paid job though I don't regret doing it. A couple of years later I did a MSc specifically with the intention of getting into a relatively well paid industry. This worked, but I used very little of what I was taught. Over my career I've found that degree or not is no predictor of competence but does at least generally correlate with a 3 digit IQ for people who studied in the 70s - 90's. That seems to have changed, especially outside STEM subjects with more recent Business, Media of Humanities degrees seemingly only indicating that you might be bright enough to work in a call centre.

Careful, you'll set off the IQ zealots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it depends what sort of degree one has; I do not have a degree, but I work in The City and probably in the top 10% of earners in the country.

I think that it is fair to say that someone with an degree in the arts is probably earning less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I barely scraped through O levels after several retakes, then scraped through a couple of A levels by an even thinner margin. That, coupled with poverty, was my lot and I knew I wasn't going to university. Got a job as mainframe operator instead and now done 40+ years in IT. 

Tried to talk my son out of a computer science degree but I was unsuccessful. Lucky really because I now think he would have been filtered out of every job he applied for just for not having one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, muggle said:

I guess it depends what sort of degree one has; I do not have a degree, but I work in The City and probably in the top 10% of earners in the country.

I think that it is fair to say that someone with an degree in the arts is probably earning less.

I have two degrees in the sciences, have helped send something to another planet, worked with the MoD and earn less than people on tax credits. Meanwhile, one of best friends from school flunked his A-levels but got an apprenticeship with BP. Now earning well into six figures with DB pension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

Having a hand in other business outside the UK..this is a question that I have never thought of. People whom I realise are savvy, work hard and have the right connections get work. I havent been in a position to look at specific technical jobs to offer out. Wife does that for the few that arise and uses a similar criteria. Where there has been a course required for someone to self improve and add to my benefit I have clearly paid. 

In the uk I dont hold a degree with the worth it was. If I was in an employing in the uk I would definitely head hunt A Level..even GCSE students and keep them sweet.

 

This is what most top companies are doing these days to get the best pickings. Unless you're doing something like medicine it now seems it's the rejects who end up going to uni.

Edited by gibbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gibbon said:

This is what most top companies are doing these days to get the best pickings. Unless you're doing something like medicine it's now seems it's the rejects who end up going to uni.

When the loans came in, one of my mates said it was paying for your own dole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gibbon said:

This is what most top companies are doing these days to get the best pickings. Unless you're doing something like medicine it now seems it's the rejects who end up going to uni.

The negative push for me to do a degree was that I didn't want to start work at 18; I wanted another three years of ultra long holidays and short working days.

The positive was that I really wanted to study the subject.

Those two things would still hold good today; I wasn't concerned about the career value of the degree then and wouldn't be now.

If doing a degree made me less employable then so be it; it wasn't a consideration. I would say you can't be rejected from something you didn't want to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.