• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Evernote

Try as I might, I just don't seem to be able to use this thing.

It has so much promise. It can capture screen shots. Take notes. Works on desktop and mobile.

And yet, for whatever reason I just don't seem to be able to 'convert' myself to using it regularly.

I suspect this is force of habit. That and the navigation and folder thing which just seems a bit weird to me.

Has anyone here managed to successfully overcome any habitual behaviour and find a way to use it that makes sense and works for them?

Me too.

I tried. I failed.

I do keep an ascii log of all my work days - i can you what i was doing 25 years ago - everything, and i mean everything is written down, to the hour.

I choose ascii as it lowest common denom of formats.

I have thought of movinb to something with more options, say markdown, which i avoid, or asciidoc, with maybe urls to sketch pad diagrams.

I have this filed, to try and do everything

https://tiddlywiki.com/

I use OneNote. It's OK. I like the fact that you can just write and it'll save automatically and you can fire up a quick note to write something  down and then file it away properly later. 

It's a bit shit in the fact that you can't alter the background colour of your notes - it would be nice to have different coloured notes stuck on the main page. 

Also the lack of a find/replace function is utterly shit. 

Apart from that it's useful especially when researching stuff on the Internet - copy and paste from a Web page and it'll save the url along with the test - useful for finding the page again for further info. Grabbing screenshots is useful too. 

For someone whose desk was piled high with paper in the old days it's been a Godsend. 

Notes is probably the best feature (for me) on the Mac and the feature I'd really miss.

Seems absurd that there aren't decent alternatives as did try a few including Evernote.

I've used Evernote for the last 10 years across 2 different jobs and I don't think I could work efficiently without it any more.

It's late and I'm tired so probably won't describe it well but basically in my job I'm working across lots of different parts of the business on lots of different parts of software, and management can ask you a question about some shit you did 3 years ago and expect you to be fucking Rain Man and just remember it.

Which I don't.

Unless it's in Evernote. I generally now keep a set of informal dev notes on every little bit of work I do in it for future reference.

My value to the business is my knowledge, which hopefully makes me un-fireable, and I keep a lot of it in my outsourced Evernote-brain.

And if you throw useful code snippets or scripts and stuff into it the instant search means it filters in real time with each keystroke so you generally don't even have to be too exact to find what you want out of potentially thousands of notes.

I've also used it when I was taking my big trips to America to store all the 'stuff' pertaining to the trip; itineraries, flight details, copies of tickets ect...

It's basically just a big private 'knowledge-base' for me.

Edited by JoeDavola

I find that if I write stuff down I forget it, or forget to do it. It's almost as if once written down I clear it from my memory. Consequently, everything is in my head. I guess one day I will have to start writing things down. If you looked at my science notebooks you could argue that  made it all up, so scant are the jottings; but I really didn't, honest.

I use SimpleNote. It's pro and con is that it's just text, but you can use Markdown to do basic formatting. It's quick, so you can throw down ideas without getting bogged down into formatting.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I've used Evernote for the last 10 years across 2 different jobs and I don't think I could work efficiently without it any more.

It's late and I'm tired so probably won't describe it well but basically in my job I'm working across lots of different parts of the business on lots of different parts of software, and management can ask you a question about some shit you did 3 years ago and expect you to be fucking Rain Man and just remember it.

Which I don't.

Unless it's in Evernote. I generally now keep a set of informal dev notes on every little bit of work I do in it for future reference.

My value to the business is my knowledge, which hopefully makes me un-fireable, and I keep a lot of it in my outsourced Evernote-brain.

And if you throw useful code snippets or scripts and stuff into it the instant search means it filters in real time with each keystroke so you generally don't even have to be too exact to find what you want out of potentially thousands of notes.

I've also used it when I was taking my big trips to America to store all the 'stuff' pertaining to the trip; itineraries, flight details, copies of tickets ect...

It's basically just a big private 'knowledge-base' for me.

Might I enquire how you organise the notes?

I see that you can create 'note books' - like folders - and tag things, but what I was looking for was an Outlook-style calendar page where you can see all the notes from days like they were 'appointments' or search them. Maybe have "projects".

I think my issue may be that I'm thinking of Evernote like it's a type of "diary" but it isn't supposed to be used like that. I just end up with what looks like a random pile of stuff like a stack of bits of paper and when I go into it I just see a list of random unrelated stuff.

RTFM ;) perhaps?

23 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I see that you can create 'note books' - like folders - and tag things, but what I was looking for was an Outlook-style calendar page where you can see all the notes from days like they were 'appointments' or search them. Maybe have "projects".

I think my issue may be that I'm thinking of Evernote like it's a type of "diary" but it isn't supposed to be used like that. I just end up with what looks like a random pile of stuff like a stack of bits of paper and when I go into it I just see a list of random unrelated stuff.

RTFM ;) perhaps?

Will answer this tomorrow in work when Evernote is staring me in the face, but suffice to say I'm not a particularly well organized person so I don't have that many notebooks, and I think most of my work-related stuff is bunged into one notebook.

IIRC the other thing you can do is add 'tags' to notes which are just metadata that you can use to filter them further. But I never use that - I think if you try and implement too complex a 'system' you'll probably not get into the way of using it.

Will post more tomorrow.

EDIT: I don't use Evernote as a diary - more of a knowledge base, and occasionally a document repo, with powerful search features. You can even upload PDF's in the pro version and it will search through their contents and I believe also do OCR on images to make the text within them searchable.

Edited by JoeDavola

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

RTFM ;) perhaps?

You can do that in OneNote by History -> Recent Edits -> All pages sorted by date.  

This opens a sidebar with every page that you've edited grouped by Month and Year with the actual date edited.

You can't sort the pages in a notebook by date however which I do think is a bit crap.  You could of course create a notebook/section group for each week/month or whatever and then create a page in each section for each day.

Edited by the gardener

5 hours ago, spygirl said:

Me too.

I tried. I failed.

I do keep an ascii log of all my work days - i can you what i was doing 25 years ago - everything, and i mean everything is written down, to the hour.

I choose ascii as it lowest common denom of formats.

I have thought of movinb to something with more options, say markdown, which i avoid, or asciidoc, with maybe urls to sketch pad diagrams.

I have this filed, to try and do everything

https://tiddlywiki.com/

Sometimes I can't help thinking you're a fantasist. I know that's really rude, but you come out with a whole load of stuff that I just find really unrealistic. Like this.

What job were you in 25 years ago? Were you a fisherman, or was it one of your many years in retail :D

4 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Sometimes I can't help thinking you're a fantasist. I know that's really rude, but you come out with a whole load of stuff that I just find really unrealistic. Like this.

What job were you in 25 years ago? Were you a fisherman, or was it one of your many years in retail :D

I fished, on n off, between 85-89. From 15->19, PT/summer - fishing is seasonal.

By 1994 I finished Uni and was working what I call mt FT work area, which remains the same. Its not fishing.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I fished, on n off, between 85-89. From 15->19, PT/summer - fishing is seasonal.

By 1994 I finished Uni and was working what I call mt FT work area, which remains the same. Its not fishing.

There was me thinking you had progressed your career from share fisherman to being the skipper of your own trawler. xD

disappointed. xD

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

There was me thinking you had progressed your career from share fisherman to being the skipper of your own trawler. xD

disappointed. xD

The only share fisherman progress I know off is share -> dole or bankruptcy.

Its really is tails I win, heads you lose thing.

Has been since ~75.

I was dipping my toe in it as I had planned on fishing from when I was kid.

The guy down the road had worked at the fish auctions and had took me thru the his auction/catch books, which hed kept since the mid 60s. It was that obvious.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

The only share fisherman progress I know off is share -> dole or bankruptcy.

Its really is tails I win, heads you lose thing.

Has been since ~75.

I was dipping my toe in it as I had planned on fishing from when I was kid.

The guy down the road had worked at the fish auctions and had took me thru the his auction/catch books, which hed kept since the mid 60s. It was that obvious.

Dunno about time line.  I knew one who was doing well into the late 80s until the booze got the better of him. 

Wasnt a case of buying a share, you got a share of the catch in wages.  

I - or rather parents had no money - so the captain thing is blocked as you need what was then an expensive training.

Fishing - or not fishing - has been lucrative for captains/owner, as they get paid and the trip costs comes off before everyone.

Last 30 eyars fishing has been about black fish, which has stopped now, protection boats, which they dont need much of a crew for, and selling fish quota andor scrapping old boats, which just needs a pen.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Dunno about time line.  I knew one who was doing well into the late 80s until the booze got the better of him. 

Wasnt a case of buying a share, you got a share of the catch in wages.  

No, the share refers to the percentage of the catch you get.

Roughly,

Cost of trip - diesel is took from sale of catch.

The n whats left is split in ever decreasing % captain /owner down to the pleb deckhands/gutter.

As a pleb, its not been worth it since the mid/late 80s.

Edited by spygirl

Just now, spygirl said:

No, the share refers to the percentage of the catch you get.

Roughly,

Cost of trip - diesel is took from sale of catch.

The n whats left is split in ever decreasing % captain /owner down to the pleb deckhands/gutter.

As a pleb, its not been worth it since the mid/late 80s.

What I said.  xD9_9