• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Fat Fucks

Sheesh, well over 50% of adults are overweight or obese.... Some right fat fuckers in my office. I guess sitting at a desk isn't very healthy.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN03336/SN03336.pdf

image.png

The BMI measure is a pile of nonsense - but from using your eyes the stats do seem pretty reasonable. 

Office life ain't great for this - no doubt - but it's easily balanced out.

3-5 hours good stuff to balance out the 40 office isnt much. 

BMI is a nonsense for men, in particular. Muscle weighs 3 times more than fat.

And it's pretty obvious that women on the whole are far fatter and far more likely to be worse impacted by being fat (cosmetically speaking).

Edited by Errol

5 hours ago, Errol said:

Yep..  I seem to remember at uni being told I was overweight despite not having an ounce of fat on me at the time. 

Sadly I can’t make the muscle excuse any longer..  I really should shed a few lbs!

7 hours ago, ccc said:

The BMI measure is a pile of nonsense - but from using your eyes the stats do seem pretty reasonable. 

Different people are different shapes. See Libby's subsequent post. Obesity is obvious to me, and it's not BMi related.

8 hours ago, Errol said:

And it's pretty obvious that women on the whole are far fatter and far more likely to be worse impacted by being fat (cosmetically speaking).

Its not muscle, its frame that it ignores-  and i dont mean big bones ...

You get people who can have shoulders twice as broad as another person.

BMI is a 1d equation applied to a 3d body.

I think  that weight -rather than obesity - is a not the cause of poor health

I know a lot of people whod be classed as obese but are in robust health because, even though they are carrying an extra stone, are still physically active. The weight  being carried around their gut.

Where as inactive unhealthy people tend to have fat everywhere and barely active.

I think is best describe as under th skin fat not being too bad but the internal/organ fat being terrible.

The problem has become self fulfilling. The more people that get fat, the more frequently that others come into contact with them which is effectively distorting perceptions and not realising how fat you are. If you asked 100 fat people if they thought they were overweight I reckon only half would say yes. 

BMI is mainly bollocks. I've a friend who's 6'4 and built like the proverbial brick shithouse. According to the BMI index, he's obese. 

That said, I think you can ignore the BMI scales and use your own evidence gatherers, your eyes. Take a walk round most towns or cities and half the population seems corpulent - for somewhere like blackpool, it's more like 75%. I'd say half of those who aren't fat just look radiantly unhealthy, pale, haggard, sunken-eyed and knackered. A mate who came over from Europe recently was shocked at the state of most folk.

Frankly, seeing someone who actually looks quite chipper is a rarity in itself.

BMI can make a fat but slightly built person think they're fine but a fit and heavily built person think they're obese. It's far too crude and just shows how the NHS has given up on treating people and just pisses about with population statistics these days.

If you genuinely want to know if you're fat then take your shirt off and look in the mirror to see which of these is you.

spacer.png

54 minutes ago, spunko said:

The problem has become self fulfilling. The more people that get fat, the more frequently that others come into contact with them which is effectively distorting perceptions and not realising how fat you are. If you asked 100 fat people if they thought they were overweight I reckon only half would say yes. 

Which is what you see on dating sites like POF where people describe themselves as normal or having just a few pounds extra. You only have to look at their photos to see that they look more like extras in WALL-E.

In many respects they are normal as fat becomes the new normal.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Which is what you see on dating sites like POF where people describe themselves as normal or having just a few pounds extra. You only have to look at their photos to see that they look more like extras in WALL-E.

Most people have definitely lost track of what normal/healthy looks like. 

Edited by ILikeCake

6 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Most people have definitely lost track of what normal/healthy looks like. 

For a long time I got very angry with fat people on dating sites who, having seen photos of myself cycling or surfing, would message me. Their interests would be non acitvity related and most had no waist and no neck. Then it struck me that it was not their fault but mine. I was trying to find what is no longer normal in a seat of obesity. I should have been angry at myself for having wasted so long on such places.

13 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

For a long time I got very angry with fat people on dating sites who, having seen photos of myself cycling or surfing, would message me. Their interests would be non acitvity related and most had no waist and no neck. Then it struck me that it was not their fault but mine. I was trying to find what is no longer normal in a seat of obesity. I should have been angry at myself for having wasted so long on such places.

Been there and got the T shirt.  I learnt very quickly not to meet up with women who only had photos of their face or taken from above.

This video has been posted before but it's an eye opener of how things have changed.

33 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Normal depends on whats your normality.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

BMI can make a fat but slightly built person think they're fine but a fit and heavily built person think they're obese. It's far too crude and just shows how the NHS has given up on treating people and just pisses about with population statistics these days.

If you genuinely want to know if you're fat then take your shirt off and look in the mirror to see which of these is you.

spacer.png

I recdkon I'm about 19%, whats the 'ideal' body fat for a healthy person?

Also, the two lowest body fat percentage men are both ripped. It's a bit misleading, most people with 9% bodyfat are going to be gangly.

At a place I used to work in I had fat colleagues who would pig out at lunch on fast food.  I'd bring my own food.  A couple of the fatties resented this, they would constantly talk about dieting and exercising while committing to neither.  So they'd try to 'shame' you as not knowing how to have a good time, to project their own lardy guilt at not being able to control themselves.

'Live a little'... and become fat sweat hogs like us.

'Fit shaming' is a thing!  Usually by a troop of insecure, gossipy fat bastards.  I was also sexually harrassed and groped by these landwhales but that's another story.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

I recdkon I'm about 19%, whats the 'ideal' body fat for a healthy person?

Also, the two lowest body fat percentage men are both ripped. It's a bit misleading, most people with 9% bodyfat are going to be gangly.

Men should aim for about 12-15% body fat IMO. Low enough that you are properly lean and don't have all the bad health effects of fat, but not so low that it becomes a major hassle to maintain it and you risk bad side effects like loss of libido.

Women need more body fat than men, IIRC about 20-ish percent is a healthy body fat for them.

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Men should aim for about 12-15% body fat IMO. Low enough that you are properly lean and don't have all the bad health effects of fat, but not so low that it becomes a major hassle to maintain it and you risk bad side effects like loss of libido.

Women need more body fat than men, IIRC about 20-ish percent is a healthy body fat for them.

Interesting. I like my body shape, I used to weigh 11 stone (now about 13.5 stone , and on the BMI borders between normal and overweigh, at 6ft1). When I weighed 11 stone looking back at photos I look like I was on Class A...

I think there must be plenty of age groups in the UK where the overweight/obese percentage is well over 70%.

I frequently find myself out and about and realize that every single person around me is hugely overweight; like carrying an extra 5 stone.... typically the only exceptions being very young children.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Interesting. I like my body shape, I used to weigh 11 stone (now about 13.5 stone , and on the BMI borders between normal and overweigh, at 6ft1). When I weighed 11 stone looking back at photos I look like I was on Class A...

IIRC you weight train so you'll have more muscle, so at 6ft1 you could probably be a very lean 12 or 13 stone.

Easy enough to do, just keep training but introduce a very small caloric deficit and do a gradual cut for a few months.

I'm 6foot2 and just under 10 stone and I know it's far too skinny - trying to put the weight on now as you can get away with being that skinny when you're young but as you get older you look ill. I've seen a few dudes in their 50's who are as thin as I am and it's not a good look at that age.

Edited by JoeDavola

The only really thin men you see now in the UK are heroin addict/ratboy types. Yet that kind of gauntness was fairly common pre-war in the 'hungry thirties' &c.

If you look at old photos most British people were fairly slim but weight started increasing in the 1970s then exploded about 15-20 years ago.

I posted this youtube video on another topic, its a recording of people just walking around Newcastle in 1987.

I accept there was more physical jobs back then ... but there was still plenty of work where people were sat on their arse all day, and plenty of so called poverty.

But people have been fat fucks since circa 2000, though the number of noticeably gigantic people seems to have occurred in the last 10 years.

Is it simple because food has got cheaper relative to income ... that there is more processed food ... or is something being put in our corporation produced food?

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

The only really thin men you see now in the UK are heroin addict/ratboy types. Yet that kind of gauntness was fairly common pre-war in the 'hungry thirties' &c.

Yes I beat myself up about being so skinny, as it looks freaky in the land of the fat, but my grandfather and my great-granfdather, who I take after, remained skinny/wiry like me their entire lives.

Edited by JoeDavola

When my wife is away I eat very intermittently and am a lot more active generally. Weight falls away pretty quickly. While she is around the fridge and freezer are full of “treat food” and we eat 3 solid meals a day.

I suspect men living on their own naturally stay pretty thin, and that it is family life that causes the “middle aged spread”.