• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

DOSBODS Startup thread

Recommended Posts

I have a lot of business ideas, most of them after a bit of consideration I conclude are shite. I don't know about anyone else or if this is just me - I love thinking up business ideas and imagining them taking over the world. Let's have a startup thread - similar to the DOSBODS Inventors club thread but only for business ideas, no matter how wacky.

---

I'll start with my most recent one - price tracking by email. Has anyone ever used CamelCamelCamel - it'll basically send you an alert if something you want on Amazon gets reduced. But why hasn't anyone ever applied that same idea to ANY website? It isn't that hard technically to do, you just paste in a URL and then choose the price/% reduction you want to buy it at, and how long you're prepared to wait, and then it'll email you if/when that happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have a lot of business ideas, most of them after a bit of consideration I conclude are shite. I don't know about anyone else or if this is just me - I love thinking up business ideas and imagining them taking over the world. Let's have a startup thread - similar to the DOSBODS Inventors club thread but only for business ideas, no matter how wacky.

---

I'll start with my most recent one - price tracking by email. Has anyone ever used CamelCamelCamel - it'll basically send you an alert if something you want on Amazon gets reduced. But why hasn't anyone ever applied that same idea to ANY website? It isn't that hard technically to do, you just paste in a URL and then choose the price/% reduction you want to buy it at, and how long you're prepared to wait, and then it'll email you if/when that happens. 

Dont worry about being shit.

Just flip to the Vision fund ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have a lot of business ideas, most of them after a bit of consideration I conclude are shite. I don't know about anyone else or if this is just me - I love thinking up business ideas and imagining them taking over the world. Let's have a startup thread - similar to the DOSBODS Inventors club thread but only for business ideas, no matter how wacky.

---

I'll start with my most recent one - price tracking by email. Has anyone ever used CamelCamelCamel - it'll basically send you an alert if something you want on Amazon gets reduced. But why hasn't anyone ever applied that same idea to ANY website? It isn't that hard technically to do, you just paste in a URL and then choose the price/% reduction you want to buy it at, and how long you're prepared to wait, and then it'll email you if/when that happens. 

Just look at how hard it is for the plugins to keep track of rightmove prices - scraping prices is far harder than you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eek said:

Just look at how hard it is for the plugins to keep track of rightmove prices - scraping prices is far harder than you think.

It isn't really, as most larger websites use rich snippets now which are all in the same format. But I specialise in web scraping anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have a lot of business ideas, most of them after a bit of consideration I conclude are shite. I don't know about anyone else or if this is just me - I love thinking up business ideas and imagining them taking over the world. Let's have a startup thread - similar to the DOSBODS Inventors club thread but only for business ideas, no matter how wacky.

---

I'll start with my most recent one - price tracking by email. Has anyone ever used CamelCamelCamel - it'll basically send you an alert if something you want on Amazon gets reduced. But why hasn't anyone ever applied that same idea to ANY website? It isn't that hard technically to do, you just paste in a URL and then choose the price/% reduction you want to buy it at, and how long you're prepared to wait, and then it'll email you if/when that happens. 

Because the webpage format is forever changing or served fro ma dynamic server, to try and obfuscate the information.

In your case, Amazon are not going to play nice to allow you to scrape that info.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been dreaming up website and app ideas for many years. Most I abandon simply because they are crap ideas or cost too much to set up. I launched a website about 12 years ago that was a google map for local events. You could sign up and post a pin of your event on the map or filter and search for local events that might be of interest. I soon realised that getting new users is labour intensive and costly and there was always the threat of Google doing the same. There are now sites like Evensi that will scrape for new events, much more efficient. 

I am soon launching a mobile app that I have great faith in, is a world first and is revolutionary. I won't post details for anonymity reasons. If I have a killer idea and believe I can create it for a reasonable cost I have to go for it. If it doesn't make money, I at least can be happy I tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

I have been dreaming up website and app ideas for many years. Most I abandon simply because they are crap ideas or cost too much to set up. I launched a website about 12 years ago that was a google map for local events. You could sign up and post a pin of your event on the map or filter and search for local events that might be of interest. I soon realised that getting new users is labour intensive and costly and there was always the threat of Google doing the same. There are now sites like Evensi that will scrape for new events, much more efficient. 

I am soon launching a mobile app that I have great faith in, is a world first and is revolutionary. I won't post details for anonymity reasons. If I have a killer idea and believe I can create it for a reasonable cost I have to go for it. If it doesn't make money, I at least can be happy I tried.

That's exactly the same as me. The key is always the marketing, a good idea needs to be sold it is rare that they sell themselves sadly. I have been tempted to post my latest business idea here as I think some users will find it useful but alas it'll identify me so better not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spunko said:

That's exactly the same as me. The key is always the marketing, a good idea needs to be sold it is rare that they sell themselves sadly. I have been tempted to post my latest business idea here as I think some users will find it useful but alas it'll identify me so better not.

You need the CIA behind you. Like Google and Facebook, allegedly.

Interesting the ideas are all internet middleman related. No one seems to have suggested an actual product or service. Not that that's a criticism. It's really hard.

Corporate biz dev where I work are always after new ideas. A few years back we had a general brainstorming and I shit you not two of the ideas were:

1. A pill that stops you aging

2. A flying car

Believe it or not, both ideas given earnestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

That's exactly the same as me. The key is always the marketing, a good idea needs to be sold it is rare that they sell themselves sadly. I have been tempted to post my latest business idea here as I think some users will find it useful but alas it'll identify me so better not.

Maybe drop the link randomly in another relevant thread. For me it's also about leaving some kind of legacy, much like having a published book. There's also no better time to set up a internet/web based business. Everything from setting up your domain, email etc to hiring programmers can be done easily and cheaply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about ishit.com

You take a picture of your stool then advanced AI matches it against a database for colour and consistency and suggests if you have any illnesses?

Or taxitaxi.com. an aggregator for lift sharing apps. Why use Uber or Lyft when you can use taxitaxi and compare all lift sharing services in your area for price and time and pick the best one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An all inclusive holiday package for incels.

Suitable cheapo destinations. Punter posts a video interview, gets chosen by a *friendly* girl (or two) for that time period. Punter won't need any cash while there except for prezzies to take home. The girl(s) get paid daily. When out and about doing touristy things with him, she does the paying as that will cost less. Every other day they spend most of their time in bed so little spending happens. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mymate.com

Advanced AI generates a picture and a personality and you interact with it via your smartphone. Makes you feel like you have a girlfriend. You could even select it via a tinder like app for the full experience.

Interact via messages and phonecalls, or even video calls. All AI generated, no real people involved at any point. Aside from the purchaser, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko said:

It isn't really, as most larger websites use rich snippets now which are all in the same format. But I specialise in web scraping anyway.

???

I'm really really really hoping that no one asks me any questions on this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year alone i've launched 4 new online businesses ... and I can tell you one thing for sure…

It's not the app, or the idea that makes it a success or failure - it's the marketing of the product that does it. So first thing we'll need to do is find a top-class marketeer who understand current working methods and 'Relationship' marketing across multiple channels

Basic rule of thumb seems to be take all the effort, time and money you used building your app (or site/idea) and then spend the same amount again on the first 3 months launch and marketing and onboarding. Never under estimate how much time and effort it takes to get it right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

???

I'm really really really hoping that no one asks me any questions on this thread.

It's just the fancy name for the prices that appear on other sites like Google, they're easy to extract:

Screenshot_2019-08-21 iphone xr - Google Search.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Mymate.com

Advanced AI generates a picture and a personality and you interact with it via your smartphone. Makes you feel like you have a girlfriend. You could even select it via a tinder like app for the full experience.

Interact via messages and phonecalls, or even video calls. All AI generated, no real people involved at any point. Aside from the purchaser, obviously.

Have you seen the movie "Her" from 2013? It's basically your idea on film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Butthead said:

Have you seen the movie "Her" from 2013? It's basically your idea on film.

Well, as someone who has had the experience multiple times of thinking I'd invented something only to find it in a 1960s Union Carbide (those guys were good) patent it doesn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

But what if one of the ideas is really good? We should start a DOSBODS venture capital fund and start actually setting these things up!

We could call it Dosbods Den. I really fancy sitting at the front being all nasty then saying "for that reason I'm out" all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.