DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

Bricks & Mortar
7 hours ago, sancho panza said:

our gardener syays you can elave leeks in the ground for two years.....................?????

Not done that, but I know they're good in the ground until next years sowing.
But if you think you'll be pulling one up when its 15 below, you can think again. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/07/2020 at 06:06, Bricks & Mortar said:

Not done that, but I know they're good in the ground until next years sowing.
But if you think you'll be pulling one up when its 15 below, you can think again. 

Nay problem here where things are tough.....

This is what we call a spade....

spacer.png

And you don't want to see what we call a shovel!

• 3 weeks later...

So I've just emptied my first batch of potatoes (grown in buckets similar to SP) and I now have no idea what to do with the compost, im going to have a similar thing with my other veg.

Should I get a composer and stick it all in until next year or is it too full of roots to be worth doing anything with?

I am googling but wonder what the hive mind thinks.

15 minutes ago, stockton said:

So I've just emptied my first batch of potatoes (grown in buckets similar to SP) and I now have no idea what to do with the compost, im going to have a similar thing with my other veg.

Should I get a composer and stick it all in until next year or is it too full of roots to be worth doing anything with?

Bobthebuilder
41 minutes ago, stockton said:

I put half the soil from the pots on the flower beds then top up the other half of the pots with new compost.

Cheers @feed and @Bobthebuilder that is some compost heap!  

I dont grow plants as such (garden is lawn) so I am thinking a compost heap and topping up with new compost.

Another question after watching that video, pulled up my turnips today too and they had white fly (i think) maggots in them so they have been binned, will the soil be OK to put in a compost bin?

23 minutes ago, stockton said:

I dont grow plants as such (garden is lawn) so I am thinking a compost heap and topping up with new compost.

Another question after watching that video, pulled up my turnips today too and they had white fly (i think) maggots in them so they have been binned, will the soil be OK to put in a compost bin?

Everything is compost, if you leave it long enough.  

old/spent soil is fine.  Composting process will get hot enough to kill most everything off.  

Bobthebuilder
32 minutes ago, stockton said:

Soil is a lot more useful than 1 year IMO. I often use a pot with the same soil for 2 grows but i do feed as well.

5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Soil is a lot more useful than 1 year IMO. I often use a pot with the same soil for 2 grows but i do feed as well.

What do you feed with?  I have chicken manure but thinking of getting some blood and bone mix or is that too much?

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, stockton said:

What do you feed with?  I have chicken manure but thinking of getting some blood and bone mix or is that too much?

Do a bit of research into NPK, for some plants the soil has plenty of Nitrogen for the grow but needs extra potash for the veg / fruit.

4 hours ago, stockton said:

You don't need to buy some fancy composter.  Just get 3 pallets, fix into an open sided square (two wide if you have the space) with brackets, and fill.  The holes in the pallets will let air, bugs, and water in and as long as you turn it over every few months it will rot fast.  slower in winter, mind.

I just built a new compost hold using a couple of old cupboard doors and a spare flat piece of wood.  It'll do for a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Loki said:

Me in 1990: I can't wait to get my flying car and space mansion

Me in 2020: Not gonna lie that converted water tank looks pretty comfy

quote of 2020 - 10/10 IGN

• 5 months later...

@stockton @feed@Bobthebuilder or anyone else.

I'm chitting my spuds now for the last frost.Going nicely.

Just wonderign what the hive mind thinks regarding carrots/parsnips etc and whterh to grow them in little pots on the window sill first.

Also when are people planning to put their first seeds out.

I have a few leeks that have made it through the winter.Most impressed.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

@stockton @feed@Bobthebuilder or anyone else.

I'm chitting my spuds now for the last frost.Going nicely.

Just wonderign what the hive mind thinks regarding carrots/parsnips etc and whterh to grow them in little pots on the window sill first.

Also when are people planning to put their first seeds out.

I have a few leeks that have made it through the winter.Most impressed.

Put the carrot and parsnip seeds straight into the ground, you could do that now if you like, February a good time to sow carrots.

Leave the spuds till late March.

You are getting into this veg lark I see,, awesome.

PS. You never posted a picture of those chips last year.

Found if you transplant carrots, you’ll get forking.   That may or may not matter.  
Tom’s went in the propagator yesterday.  Long White Icicle Radish went out yesterday.  
And my first early potatoes are ready to go, but I need a little more compost.

But I am in Essex, with a very sheltered garden, so my climate is probably a little more benign than others.  

5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Put the carrot and parsnip seeds straight into the ground, you could do that now if you like, February a good time to sow carrots.

Leave the spuds till late March.

You are getting into this veg lark I see,, awesome.

PS. You never posted a picture of those chips last year.

We never made chips......but to be fair,I handed some around the old ladies my Mum's age and they all said they tasted amazing.I thought so too but I was obviously biased....

Had some great times with the kids digging them out.And found as we had 7 or 8 buckets we didn't buy spuds for a couple of monhts.Just emptied a bucket a week.

My carrots and parsnips were tiny.

I've two otpions here,one is the buckets and the other the ground.I have dug over the gorund but the soil feels very heavy.Not sure whether to put the carrots/other veg in the buckets and the spuds in the ground or vice versa?You got a view.

Also,the buckets have last years compost in.I've had a look and there's worms,so I don't know wheter to buy new compo or revitalise with some of my own?

Also,last year,I never got any leeks out,they grew,jsut not much.

Any idea what I can do to get the carrots bigger?

2 minutes ago, feed said:

Found if you transplant carrots, you’ll get forking.   That may not may not matter.  
Tom’s went in the propagator yesterday.  Long White Icicle Radish went out yesterday.  
And my first early potatoes are ready to go, but I need a little more compost.

But I am in Essex in town, with a very sheltered garden, so my climate is probably a little more benign than others.  

whats forking?whats a propagator?

Do you do any other veg that you think my be good for first time growers?

Bobthebuilder
10 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

We never made chips......but to be fair,I handed some around the old ladies my Mum's age and they all said they tasted amazing.I thought so too but I was obviously biased....

Had some great times with the kids digging them out.And found as we had 7 or 8 buckets we didn't buy spuds for a couple of monhts.Just emptied a bucket a week.

My carrots and parsnips were tiny.

I've two otpions here,one is the buckets and the other the ground.I have dug over the gorund but the soil feels very heavy.Not sure whether to put the carrots/other veg in the buckets and the spuds in the ground or vice versa?You got a view.

Also,the buckets have last years compost in.I've had a look and there's worms,so I don't know wheter to buy new compo or revitalise with some of my own?

Also,last year,I never got any leeks out,they grew,jsut not much.

Spuds are really good to plant in new ground, they break the soil up. Carrots need fine soil to get big, the pots would be good for those.

Go long on Sancho Panzer potato futures.

reformed nice guy
23 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Carrots are pushing through the ground so if your soil is compacted clay then they go all funny shapes to find the path of least resistance.

Get some sand - posh way is to buy it, best way is to get it from the seaside (wash it a couple of times to get rid of residual salt)

Dig a trench then mix what you displaced with the sand. Ideally do this when the ground has been dry a while so it mixes well. Also good to mix in some compost if you have any ready.

43 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

whats forking?whats a propagator?

Do you do any other veg that you think my be good for first time growers?

forked carrots. 

image.jpeg.465da1db160df429cd9fcce0857f0360.jpeg

Peas are great, depending on the variety you can get food all year, from peas shoots to full pod peas.  Great for home saved seeds

Beans, utterly idiot proof, great yields and good for the soil. Again great for home saved seeds. 

Cabbage, can find a variety for any season, so you have them in beds when nothing else is growing over winter. Can have some pest problems and likely needs netting from birds.  But assuming you can stop them being eaten, you'll get a head of cabbage.    

Potatoes, cabbage, beets and beans.  There’s a reason why they’re traditional peasant food.  High yields, not without pests, but generally grow consistently   

Archived