DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

@stockton @feed@Bobthebuilder or anyone else.

I'm chitting my spuds now for the last frost.Going nicely.

Just wonderign what the hive mind thinks regarding carrots/parsnips etc and whterh to grow them in little pots on the window sill first.

Also when are people planning to put their first seeds out.

I have a few leeks that have made it through the winter.Most impressed.

As already mentioned, carrots in the ground.  I buy new compost for these and drive a stick into the ground wiggle it open and fill with compost, I think it gives straighter carrots but there are always a few wild ones.

I will start potatoes soon and have a tomato plant on the kitchen windowsill from last years crop.  Not sure if it will work but worth a try I'm also going to try some cherry tomatoes.

Probably going to have a quieter year this year and focus on strawberries, potato's, carrots and toms although I do have some onion sets for the end of summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wight Flight
On 24/02/2021 at 14:26, stockton said:

Probably going to have a quieter year this year and focus on strawberries, potato's, carrots and toms although I do have some onion sets for the end of summer.

You already have the makings of an authentic greengrocer. 

:D

• 2 months later...

I've planted 2 more fruit trees.. these are grown flat against the fence to help save space.. 1 pear and 1 apple..

I have 2 raspberry bushes on another fence, strawberries, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, blueberry Bush, spinach plant thats gone mad.. and a much bigger apple tree as well. 

20210522_142556.jpg

sancho panza
3 hours ago, macca said:

I've planted 2 more fruit trees.. these are grown flat against the fence to help save space.. 1 pear and 1 apple..

I have 2 raspberry bushes on another fence, strawberries, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, blueberry Bush, spinach plant thats gone mad.. and a much bigger apple tree as well. 

20210522_142556.jpg

good effort Macca

How long till you get some fruit?

sancho panza
On 24/02/2021 at 12:52, Bobthebuilder said:

Spuds are really good to plant in new ground, they break the soil up. Carrots need fine soil to get big, the pots would be good for those.

Go long on Sancho Panzer potato futures.

My potatoes are coming up nicely in the rougher ground and I've used the pots I  used to use for them, for carrots and parsnips which appear to bedoing ok.

I had a bad year with last year but it was my first.they weren't very big but I planted them in the rough ground.

My big aim is to udnerstand what it taeks to be self sufficient and how to do it.I'd need more land and need to get some experience of growing other crops.

I can't get over the spuds and how they're growing in the patch.the kids are well excited.

It's sad reallyy I came to this so late but better late thna never.

On 23/05/2021 at 22:43, sancho panza said:

good effort Macca

How long till you get some fruit?

the big tree i planted grew fruit first year but only 4 nice apples.. This year it has rooted and has allot more flowers,, So i think 1 year before it really gets a good return,, 

One percent
4 hours ago, macca said:

the big tree i planted grew fruit first year but only 4 nice apples.. This year it has rooted and has allot more flowers,, So i think 1 year before it really gets a good return,, 

I planted a Victoria plumb last year. It had a lot of blossom this year so hoping for a reasonable crop

On 20/05/2021 at 21:43, Harley said:

The first episode went online at 21:00 EST for 24 hours, although you can buy it!  Not sure if it's any good yet though but expect a few gems along the way, such is the nature of these things.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

I planted a Victoria plumb last year. It had a lot of blossom this year so hoping for a reasonable crop

I lost another plumb tree this year but have already replanted.  I pruned things back in the mini orchard a lot a few months ago (not plumb obviously!) as canker is a real problem.  Yes, there was some reassuringly good blossom these last few weeks.  I'm hoping for better than last year. 

On 23/05/2021 at 19:15, macca said:

20210522_142556.jpg

Tidy, and nice fencing, etc.

One percent
9 minutes ago, Harley said:

I lost another plumb tree this year but have already replanted.  I pruned things back in the mini orchard a lot a few months ago (not plumb obviously!) as canker is a real problem.  Yes, there was some reassuringly good blossom these last few weeks.  I'm hoping for better than last year. 

I think that was autocorrect and that Apple thought i was talking bathrooms. xD

4 hours ago, Harley said:

Tidy, and nice fencing, etc.

Do my own building work. Spirit level equals perfection.. Good fence panels from a local manufacturer and not from B&Q etc helps as well.. 

I'm fitting a new roof on the house.. been scouring free roof tiles on the Internet from finished jobs.. going to get another 300 today..  its slow going to get 1300 tiles but when it's free it's worth the wait.. 

Should have 550 by end of today.. spent £10 so far.. 

• 3 months later...

Bringing this thread back (although it could go into the coronavirus prepper thread as well) to ask if anyone uses or has heard of Briar?  Seen it mentioned on Twitter in response to a post asking whether there had been internet outages in Melbourne (feedback seems to have been that FB live broadcast function had been disabled but internet still working).

Briarproject.org

This is the spiel from 'how it works':

Briar is a messaging app designed for activists, journalists, and anyone else who needs a safe, easy and robust way to communicate. Unlike traditional messaging apps, Briar doesn’t rely on a central server - messages are synchronized directly between the users’ devices. If the internet’s down, Briar can sync via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, keeping the information flowing in a crisis. If the internet’s up, Briar can sync via the Tor network, protecting users and their relationships from surveillance.

I'm interested in it because it uses bluetooth to create the mesh.  

Their twitter feed is followed by Nick Szabo, so that makes me interested from the get go.

Archived