DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

Bobthebuilder
6 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Have you any good links.I'd love to do that for the kids?

Its really easy to do, i just stick potatoes in pots halfway down, top up with more soil as the plants emerge and grow. Plant them from March to June, you could plant some now you might just get some small ones by Xmas, or just leave them in over winter they will come up again in the spring. Watch out for frosts it will kill the leaves.

To many myths are put about by gardeners and garden centers trying to get you to spend money, plants just want to grow. The potatoes in the picture are Jersey Royals planted straight out of a Lidl bag, no need to chit them, no need for seed potatoes,  they will be just fine.

IMG_20190824_080000.jpg

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@sancho panza nice info re electrolytes, unfortunately the top pick which does look awesome is not readily available in the UK.  The one I have liked the most out of 3 or so I've tried is 

Screenshot_20190824-082959.thumb.png.16763938b2d7221ba48276965d3ed341.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOS-Rehydrate-Berry-Electrolyte-Drink/dp/B01ALA3DBQ

In fact when searching now for it is is half price at Holland and Barrett, never seen that cheap before.  Don't think there are any added vitamins but the product seems good quality (most bad reviews seem to be on either taste or damaged packaging in transit).

Was in zim in late 90s and things were apparently rapidly going downhill  (friends grew up and lived there but were all out by IIRC 2000).  Too depressing back then to even read the news etc the writing was on the wall they had no option but to leave (and lucky to be holders of British passport)  Meant to have been a great country for many years under Mugabe so don't know what happened but like he turned evil or something.

8 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I think silver makes more sense of buying beans and gold for bribing border guards

I think gold-plated tungsten or any other well-forged coin could be just as good for buying your family those last remaining places on the boat or getting the border guard to look the other way. It's not like they are gonna run an acid test on it. 

BTW that feeling in your stomach most people mistake for hunger goes away after 2-3 days and physical prowess actually gets boosted by your body secreting more adrenaline, I water fast occasionally for up to 5 days and haven't noticed any drop of strength at the gym on day 5. If anyone here is worried about having to go without food for a week in a zombie apocalypse, don't be. You'll be fine. Now, water is a different story. 

6 hours ago, kibuc said:

I think gold-plated tungsten or any other well-forged coin could be just as good for buying your family those last remaining places on the boat or getting the border guard to look the other way. It's not like they are gonna run an acid test on it. 

BTW that feeling in your stomach most people mistake for hunger goes away after 2-3 days and physical prowess actually gets boosted by your body secreting more adrenaline, I water fast occasionally for up to 5 days and haven't noticed any drop of strength at the gym on day 5. If anyone here is worried about having to go without food for a week in a zombie apocalypse, don't be. You'll be fine. Now, water is a different story. 

Well I’m running down my hugestockpile of tinned goods there’s something good about eating a tin of beans that you paid for 7 years ago and that cost half the price it does today

Chewing Grass
10 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Its really easy to do, i just stick potatoes in pots halfway down, top up with more soil as the plants emerge and grow. Plant them from March to June, you could plant some now you might just get some small ones by Xmas, or just leave them in over winter they will come up again in the spring. Watch out for frosts it will kill the leaves.

To many myths are put about by gardeners and garden centers trying to get you to spend money, plants just want to grow. The potatoes in the picture are Jersey Royals planted straight out of a Lidl bag, no need to chit them, no need for seed potatoes,  they will be just fine.

IMG_20190824_080000.jpg

Question. What is the green plant acting as cover in the tub (back left) picked some up from underneath a dripping outdoor tap in Looe Cornwall in 1978 when I was a curious kid.

Planted it in my mothers garden and now it is in mine providing fantastic weed smothering cover.

I intially thought it was slender speedwell but it doesn't flower, just spreads out like a carpet.

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Question. What is the green plant acting as cover in the tub (back left) picked some up from underneath a dripping outdoor tap in Looe Cornwall in 1978 when I was a curious kid.

Planted it in my mothers garden and now it is in mine providing fantastic weed smothering cover.

I intially thought it was slender speedwell but it doesn't flower, just spreads out like a carpet.

Im not sure, its a weed around here grows every where, takes over if you leave it, ive been a bit lazy with that pot and should have cleaned it out. But same here, never flowers just keeps growing.

sancho panza
16 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

IMG_20190824_080000.jpg

Cheers for that Bob.Now I know Im going to sound thick as here but so what you're saying is stik some spuds in some sloil and they'll grow spuds ad infinitum if yu leave keep topping the soild up?

Invcredible.I never had anyone to teach me this stuff.Thanks.If you can think of any other plants that are easy to grow then please feel free to post.

14 hours ago, kibuc said:

I'm getting interested in fasting.I've heard a few people say that it's really helped with their health.WHy did you do it?

10 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Thx for posting.I lvoe Kibucs reply above lol

5 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

Argh why did I leave my charcoal and firepit in Ireland. However I have enough wood chopped to keep us warm and fed for the winter if needed. Only problem is I like how it looks and I don't want to burn it!

On the spuds, no link but I remember doing it in a circular soft plastic bin years ago. Drainage holes, on bricks. 3 or 4 spuds in, about 9 in deep, another 12 in below. Ordinary topsoil. And if you keep adding a bit as it grows, itll grow spuds all the way up the stem! My grandparents grew their own and ate them all year round. Probably half an acre to feed a family but has to be left fallow. Prodigious plant.

Edit: the woodshed, attached. Good for peace of mind as well as physical exercise  Really needs a new roof, but how can I do that when Centrica is so cheap?!

20190824_185834.jpg

I lvied in NZ when I was younger for a few months here and there and worked on a dauiry farm.What an eye opener.Unlike NZ where it's easy to know someone who has a farm,here in the UK its a lot different.Listenig to you and Bob talk,it suddenly dawns on me how I've neglected my kids education in terms of missing out some easy basics.The Uk's population is so unsuited to survival situations on the whole because as you said earlier,so many are riase don a diet of Jeremy Kyle and relying on the govt for everything.

Love the woodshed.It's a beauty.Personally,If I had a shed like that,I'd store wood somewhere else and raid that instead.

Bobthebuilder
8 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Cheers for that Bob.Now I know Im going to sound thick as here but so what you're saying is stik some spuds in some sloil and they'll grow spuds ad infinitum if yu leave keep topping the soild up?

Invcredible.I never had anyone to teach me this stuff.Thanks.If you can think of any other plants that are easy to grow then please feel free to post.

Not ad infinitum the plant will die back after 6 months or so, once the leaves strat to turn brown the spuds wont get any bigger but you can dig them up before that for small new type spuds. You plant spuds in three batches earlies, middle and lates. they are really easy to do.

1 hour ago, Cattle Prod said:

They need to be well drained if directly in the soil, hence potato ridges, and they will also exhaust the soil, hence fallow/rotation. And can still catch blight in a damp summer. But besidss that, pretty much yes. They are easy to grow. And yes you can stick your favourite supermarket spuds in the ground - sure they try to grow in your cupboard! Im amazed Monsanto or someone hasn't tried to breed sterile ones yet.

They love a bit of manure planted in with them also great for breaking up new veg patches as in they break the soil up for the next year. When i used to grow a lot of veg i would grow some leeks in pots and half bury them in the soil once the potatoes had come out, they will last all over winter.

Other easy to grow veg are tomatoes, courgettes and sweetcorn. Potatoes are the best veg i know that freshly dug out the ground will knock your socks off taste wise will beat anything from the supermarket.

A good book for this sort of thing is The River Cottage Cookbook by Huge Furry Whippingtool, he wrote it before he became a big TV personallity, also Self suffiency for Realists and Dreamers by John Seymour (as Harley has on his book shelf).

Another easy one is perpetual/beet spinach. Just stick the seeds in the ground or in a planter in spring. Thin out when they’ve grown a bit so they’re evenly spaced. Water when they need it and you can’t over water. Then it just keeps growing. Cut a leaf off and it will have replenished in a few days. Amazing really. It’s tougher than the baby spinach you’ll buy in the supermarket but still good. You can also stagger when you sew it to keep the supply running all summer and into autumn.

Those fake coins are rubbish. The fake krugerrand isn't even remotely the right colour. Wouldn't fool anyone.

In any event, you should only be buying from reputable dealers.

9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I'm getting interested in fasting.I've heard a few people say that it's really helped with their health.WHy did you do it. 

To be young and sexy again, obviously, duh.

I tried keto for like 4 months, got slimmer than ever but couldn't make it work long-term, too much hassle, counting carbs didn't seem any different or any less OCD to counting calories and I missed bread, potatoes and muffins. Avocado toast isn't quite the same without the toast. 

Intermittent fasting with occasional longer fasts is a piece of cake in comparison, my body composition is where I want it to be and I still get to eat all the stuff that I like. My glycogen stores are getting topped up regularly, allowing me to put in proper effort at the gym. Also, eating only once or twice a day saves a surprising amount of time.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:21, kibuc said:

Disagree. You can spot fake gold very easily. And trying to bribe a border guard with fake gold in an 'end of civilisation' scenario sounds like a good way to get shot/beaten up etc.

You guys would make excellent border guards. 

Most people, however, would not. Border guards included. 

I'm actually thinking I could even get away with gold-plated lead or some other idiotic scam, as regular folk get their education from TV and their idea of testing gold is giving it a bite and expecting a dent, which is kind of opposite of what you should expect from real gold. How many people have actually seen a gold coin in their lives or expressed any interest in precious metals, you guys reckon? It's yellow, it's shiny, it's heavy (that's for the advanced class), it must be gold. 

On 24/08/2019 at 08:41, Dogtania said:

@sancho panza nice info re electrolytes, unfortunately the top pick which does look awesome is not readily available in the UK.  The one I have liked the most out of 3 or so I've tried is 

Screenshot_20190824-082959.thumb.png.16763938b2d7221ba48276965d3ed341.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOS-Rehydrate-Berry-Electrolyte-Drink/dp/B01ALA3DBQ

In fact when searching now for it is is half price at Holland and Barrett, never seen that cheap before.  Don't think there are any added vitamins but the product seems good quality (most bad reviews seem to be on either taste or damaged packaging in transit).

I keep a few tubes of SOS electrolyte tablets you dissolve in water because they are convenient to carry around and for rapid recovery during and after exercise, but for everyday home use you don't need the expensive supplements.  Himalayan pink salt  provides all the sodium and chlorides you need, plus some other trace minerals. Sea salt offer similar but with a few extra trace minerals like copper, zinc and magnesium. And "lo-salt"  provides lots of potassium. Baking powder provides sodium and bicarbonates.  These basically cover all the electrolytes your body needs, and can be bought in bulk very cheaply.. Pink salt for example can cost as little as a pound a kilo on Amazon ( assuming you buy a 25kg box/bag)  and will last forever in storage. As a tradable good, you can sell it in 100g packets for far more than that. Supermarkets sell 100g bottles of it for £3-4.. a 3000-4000% mark up!

As well as enabling proper hydration and water retention in the case of illness, they also enable proper conduction of the electrical signals in the body, keeping us feeling strong and energised.

2 hours ago, Lavalas said:

Another easy one is perpetual/beet spinach. Just stick the seeds in the ground or in a planter in spring. Thin out when they’ve grown a bit so they’re evenly spaced. Water when they need it and you can’t over water. Then it just keeps growing. Cut a leaf off and it will have replenished in a few days. Amazing really. It’s tougher than the baby spinach you’ll buy in the supermarket but still good. You can also stagger when you sew it to keep the supply running all summer and into autumn.

For a bit of fruit, strawberries and blackberrys grow like weeds just keep the birds ect off them.

3 hours ago, MvR said:

I keep a few tubes of SOS electrolyte tablets you dissolve in water because they are convenient to carry around and for rapid recovery during and after exercise, but for everyday home use you don't need the expensive supplements.  Himalayan pink salt  provides all the sodium and chlorides you need, plus some other trace minerals. Sea salt offer similar but with a few extra trace minerals like copper, zinc and magnesium. And "lo-salt"  provides lots of potassium. Baking powder provides sodium and bicarbonates.  These basically cover all the electrolytes your body needs, and can be bought in bulk very cheaply.. Pink salt for example can cost as little as a pound a kilo on Amazon ( assuming you buy a 25kg box/bag)  and will last forever in storage. As a tradable good, you can sell it in 100g packets for far more than that. Supermarkets sell 100g bottles of it for £3-4.. a 3000-4000% mark up!

As well as enabling proper hydration and water retention in the case of illness, they also enable proper conduction of the electrical signals in the body, keeping us feeling strong and energised.

Nice, do you make a mix of the 3 salts for consumption like you would the tablets?  Thinking a large jar with the mix along with maybe some vitamins etc could be interesting to try. .. don't take daily but like the idea so will do a bit of googling.

Can't imagine the possible markup once the zombies appear😛

Bricks & Mortar

Further to my recent post about sinking a well - or wherever you get your water from...  Just be aware that some bbq charcoal in our decadent society comes soaked in petrochemicals for people who've forgotten the art of fire.
Gravel - sand - charcoal.  You could do the whole thing in a 3l coke bottle with the bottom cut off and a rag stuffed in - for a day or two - but for longer term, this is the mutts.

1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Nice, do you make a mix of the 3 salts for consumption like you would the tablets?  Thinking a large jar with the mix along with maybe some vitamins etc could be interesting to try. .. don't take daily but like the idea so will do a bit of googling.

Can't imagine the possible markup once the zombies appear😛

I just put a mix of either pink or sea salt plus some lo-salt on my food.. often quite a lot, or if fasting I'll mix about 1/2 a teaspoon of each in a small shot glass of water and have that once a day. I eat low-carb/keto... all organic, seasonal, locally sourced foods with no additives and nothing processed so the natural salt content in my food is next to nothing. People on a regular diet tend not to expel as much salt, and have more already in the food they eat so may not need to add as much.

I'd be tempted to keep the vitamins and salts separate since the vitamin requirement depends on your diet. Currently I get most vitamins from my food, and only supplement with D3 and K2.. this may not be necessary, but I guess I'm just experimenting. In a crisis, if I'm limited to tinned  or other lower quality meats and veg, I'd take more vitamins.

I don't think things will get that bad but there could be some panic buying of food and fuel has we get closer to brexit but most of us would be fucked if it really went mad max me included

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I don't think things will get that bad but there could be some panic buying of food and fuel has we get closer to brexit but most of us would be fucked if it really went mad max me included

It’s why we need to buy the island. o.O

short of winning the lottery, we have run out of ideas on how to raise the money. 

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s why we need to buy the island. o.O

short of winning the lottery, we have run out of ideas on how to raise the money. 

Get someone to sell there terrace in London and we could buy one in scotland

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Get someone to sell there terrace in London and we could buy one in scotland

Get your hands of me fking terrace, anyway me and you would drink the island out of lidl lager in no time.

Archived