DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Get someone to sell there terrace in London and we could buy one in scotland

I’ve half a semi in londonistan. It’s me pension innit. o.O

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s why we need to buy the island. o.O

short of winning the lottery, we have run out of ideas on how to raise the money. 

I suggest a private limited company with shares pro rata to the investment and individual houses paying rent to the company.

Everyone renting has the opportunity to buy shares off the main shareholders up to an agreed point which leaves everyone with an equal number of shares once all purchases have occurred.

Purchases of shares are from existing shareholders pro rata to their holdings above the notional equal number of shares.

The price at which these shares are sold being a pre-agreed index like RPI.

The company dissolves in ten years' time, selling its assets to a new company set up on a similar basis but with people who wish to leave / cash in their share not required to reinvest.

If there is insufficient appetite for reinvestment then the island is sold and the proceeds distributed to the shareholders in proportion to their shareholding.

Simple, no?

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Beansprouts are easy to grow. Rabbits breed like rabbits. A urinal to catch your own piss. Sorted.

I know people used to breed rabbits for food WW2 and suchlike, but have you ever eaten a wild rabbit? The poor souls spend all thier life on a shit diet and run around like Linford Christie, no fat content at all, pure muscle, its like eating carpet. Urine good for tomatoe feed, apparantly they call it gardeners brew, urines high in Nitrogen.

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suggest a private limited company with shares pro rata to the investment and individual houses paying rent to the company.

Everyone renting has the opportunity to buy shares off the main shareholders up to an agreed point which leaves everyone with an equal number of shares once all purchases have occurred.

Purchases of shares are from existing shareholders pro rata to their holdings above the notional equal number of shares.

The price at which these shares are sold being a pre-agreed index like RPI.

The company dissolves in ten years' time, selling its assets to a new company set up on a similar basis but with people who wish to leave / cash in their share not required to reinvest.

If there is insufficient appetite for reinvestment then the island is sold and the proceeds distributed to the shareholders in proportion to their shareholding.

Simple, no?

In English Frank.  Please. o.OxD

24 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I know people used to breed rabbits for food WW2 and suchlike, but have you ever eaten a wild rabbit? The poor souls spend all thier life on a shit diet and run around like Linford Christie, no fat content at all, pure muscle, its like eating carpet. Urine good for tomatoe feed, apparantly they call it gardeners brew, urines high in Nitrogen.

Sheep poo is good for tomatoes and fertiliser in general. Collect it, put it in hessian sack and hang in your water but. 

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Sheep poo is good for tomatoes and fertiliser in general. Collect it, put it in hessian sack and hang in your water but. 

Ive heard doing the same with stinging nettles makes a good blackfly spray. I will add nettle tops are probably the best wild veg in the world.

5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Ive heard doing the same with stinging nettles makes a good blackfly spray. I will add nettle tops are probably the best wild veg in the world.

How do you prepare nettle tops?  I’ve heard of nettle soup. 

Bobthebuilder
Just now, One percent said:

How do you prepare nettle tops?  I’ve heard of nettle soup. 

Cut the new growth off the tops, you may need to wear glothes, rinse to get rid of unwanted protien and boil for a minute. Just like spinach really. I grew up in Dorset in the 70s and we all used to poach fish etc, the first time i cooked nettles the smell took me back to 1972, our parents and friends must have been using it.

Good recipies for all this stuff in the River Cottage Cookbook.

12 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

Today I made a rope, kind of. I had nothing but 3mm paracord to sling my hammock, which snapped under my considerable load. So I took 3 lengths and plaited it, like a girls pigtail. To my surprise, it worked like a charm! 

Snapped 3mm on the right, plaited on the left

20190825_184904.jpg

Have you any lampposts, for the hanging of treasonous MPs, to go with it?  

Democorruptcy
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I once viewed a house with a huge room over the garage and I thought snooker table. When I got there it was full of rabbits. No worries about them running free but they wouldn't be able to eat the carpet.

sancho panza
5 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Further to my recent post about sinking a well - or wherever you get your water from...  Just be aware that some bbq charcoal in our decadent society comes soaked in petrochemicals for people who've forgotten the art of fire.
Gravel - sand - charcoal.  You could do the whole thing in a 3l coke bottle with the bottom cut off and a rag stuffed in - for a day or two - but for longer term, this is the mutts.

Cheers B&M.I'm still going to get some MSR stuff but amazed how easy it is.Be interested to know how clean it gets the water?

12 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Not ad infinitum the plant will die back after 6 months or so, once the leaves strat to turn brown the spuds wont get any bigger but you can dig them up before that for small new type spuds. You plant spuds in three batches earlies, middle and lates. they are really easy to do.

They love a bit of manure planted in with them also great for breaking up new veg patches as in they break the soil up for the next year. When i used to grow a lot of veg i would grow some leeks in pots and half bury them in the soil once the potatoes had come out, they will last all over winter.

Other easy to grow veg are tomatoes, courgettes and sweetcorn. Potatoes are the best veg i know that freshly dug out the ground will knock your socks off taste wise will beat anything from the supermarket.

A good book for this sort of thing is The River Cottage Cookbook by Huge Furry Whippingtool, he wrote it before he became a big TV personallity, also Self suffiency for Realists and Dreamers by John Seymour (as Harley has on his book shelf).

Thanks for those tips.I'll check those books out.Even thosugh Im time pooe at the minute,I'm fascinated by this stuff.

Ref spuds,how long do they last once you've dug them out.This guy got ,loads out of five buckets...Roughly how long does one cycle take?And do you need 'seed' potatoes like this one guy was saying in the US.Ill psot his link second but he gets a bit technical about sulphur/potassium and I jsut want to grwo some  spuds in my back yard as simplky as possible.

9 hours ago, MvR said:

I keep a few tubes of SOS electrolyte tablets you dissolve in water because they are convenient to carry around and for rapid recovery during and after exercise, but for everyday home use you don't need the expensive supplements.  Himalayan pink salt  provides all the sodium and chlorides you need, plus some other trace minerals. Sea salt offer similar but with a few extra trace minerals like copper, zinc and magnesium. And "lo-salt"  provides lots of potassium. Baking powder provides sodium and bicarbonates.  These basically cover all the electrolytes your body needs, and can be bought in bulk very cheaply.. Pink salt for example can cost as little as a pound a kilo on Amazon ( assuming you buy a 25kg box/bag)  and will last forever in storage. As a tradable good, you can sell it in 100g packets for far more than that. Supermarkets sell 100g bottles of it for £3-4.. a 3000-4000% mark up!

As well as enabling proper hydration and water retention in the case of illness, they also enable proper conduction of the electrical signals in the body, keeping us feeling strong and energised.

Great info there MvR.Certainly some more additions to my shopping list.

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Ref spuds,how long do they last once you've dug them out.This guy got ,loads out of five buckets...Roughly how long does one cycle take?And do you need 'seed' potatoes like this one guy was saying in the US.Ill psot his link second but he gets a bit technical about sulphur/potassium and I jsut want to grwo some  spuds in my back yard as simplky as possible.

As ive already said up thread, its a piece of piss, put any potatoe in the ground and it will grow.That guy is looking for likes, potatoes have been doing just fine for a million years without him

sancho panza
4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I'm meant to be sizing up some trades for tmrw but have spent a load of time wqatching spud making.This guy- project diaries- has other good videos.Bob do you use compost or buy fertisliser? can you grow much in the winter and if so what?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQGv_dy-oLeu5SSgz2_8i8w

2 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

Today I made a rope, kind of. I had nothing but 3mm paracord to sling my hammock, which snapped under my considerable load. So I took 3 lengths and plaited it, like a girls pigtail. To my surprise, it worked like a charm! 

Snapped 3mm on the right, plaited on the left

20190825_184904.jpg

I'm impressed by the knots as well.......

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

can you grow much in the winter and if so what?

Not much, plant garlic bulbs on the shortest day. carrot seeds in Febuary then back to spuds again in March.

sancho panza
12 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

I don't know how you do it here, but in Ireland there are new potatoes and old potatoes. Mrs was over and were eating lovely floury spuds with butter and she was loving them. I asked my old dear "Are these last years " she said "ah yeah" Mrs said "what?" I said these are old potatoes, like 9 or 10 months old. She couldn't believe it.

Just kept in a dark shed over winter.

Cheers for that CP.Sounds like incredible to a city dweler like me.

Here yer man does carrots with advice on what plastic pots to use and how they grow seeds.

sancho panza
7 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Not much, plant garlic bulbs on the shortest day. carrot seeds in Febuary then back to spuds again in March

So if the shtf then we're looking at growing enough spuds for the winter.....does anything else keep well like spuds?

edit to add my grandad used to keep rabbits and we used to eat them all the time as kids.till he gave us a pet one lol.....

Bobthebuilder
Just now, sancho panza said:

So if the shtf then we're looking at growing enough spuds for the winter.....does anything else keep well like spuds?

Thats where processing comes in, jams, preserves, pickles etc.

Processing is the money shot in food, learn that and you are well ahead of the curve.

sancho panza
56 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Thats where processing comes in, jams, preserves, pickles etc.

Processing is the money shot in food, learn that and you are well ahead of the curve.

So mcuh to learn here Bob.It's a differetn world to what I'm used to.

17 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Rabbits basicly good for stew

Your going to need a crossbow and some sharp knifes for protein if your going full mad max you just need to hit the sheep that will slow it down then finish it off sheep are heavy so you either lop it to bits in the field or take a friend 200 tins of food would last one person a long time btw but not if anyone else knows about them

Apples also last well if stored in a cool dark place spaced out on newspaper so they're not touching each other.  You can keep them all winter and just inspect every so often for any which have gone rotten and remove them. 

I'm always amazed how many people with apple trees just leave the fruit to rot on the ground.  You just need to pick them at the right time and store for fruit all year round.  Any which shrivel can always be cooked.

Great thread, thanks for starting 👍🏻

Hope to make a positive contribution as time allows but I’ll kick off with this site, it’s one of the best resources I’ve come across on how best to approach prepping. Also the author is original from Europe so it’s not so US focused like most others I’ve come across.  

The title says it all, it really is prepping for less crazy people and so much is just good practical advice for getting through life’s ups and downs 😉

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/prep/

“...the purpose of this guide is to combat the mindset of learned helplessness by promoting simple, level-headed, personal preparedness techniques that are easy to implement, don't cost much, and will probably help you cope with whatever life throws your way.”

6 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Sugar, you can do shit loads with it, bags of sugar would be like gold if TSHTF for an extended period.

Needed to make jams which someone upthread are a good way of preserving fruit for those lean winter months. 

Archived