DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

On 28/11/2019 at 22:21, wherebee said:

except when the fucking squirrels find it.  Then they take one bite from each one and laugh in little squirrel voices.

Get yourself a motion detector and an air rifle. Couple of squirrel steaks will go lovely with what's left of the corn. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bobthebuilder
36 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Get yourself a motion detector and an air rifle. Couple of squirrel steaks will go lovely with what's left of the corn. 

By the time you have bought all of that its about 30 years worth of sweetcorn from the shop. Plus squrrel tastes like shit.

Bobthebuilder
22 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Spent the afternoon with Junior Panza digging up some roots and smal bushes where we're going to plant.

He grafted hard for a 13 year old,was more enjoyable than I thought.Started talking about spuds and frying our own chips.

Starting to think planting cycle and found this helpful article.

Looking to build my self a simple rota for planting

Debating whether to go for raised beds.

Any advice from the expereienced gratefully received.

https://www.jackwallington.com/13-tips-to-help-allotment-newbies-by-an-allotment-newbie/

National allotment society some good advice-dont even know what brassicas are.With a planting schedule

https://www.nsalg.org.uk/growing-advice/how-to-plan-an-allotment/

Traditionally allotments are set in rows, on a three year crop rotation system (brassicas, roots and then ‘other veg’), but today the style of allotment planting is much looser – with people choosing to mix up their beds, breaking up the formality of the rows.

Crop Rotation

After setting aside a section of your plot for perennial crops such rhubarb and asparagus, every new plot-holder needs to give some thought to crop rotation. This helps to ensure that you do not get a build-up of pests and diseases, groups plants with similar nutritional needs

together, and helps to build soil fertility. Crops such as sweetcorn, squash and salads can be fi tted in suitable places around the plot but take care not to grow them in the same spot every year. Some gardeners follow a 3 year rotation schedule.

Year 1

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes.
Autumn planting: onions, leeks, garlic, shallots.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.
Autumn planting: green manure such as grazing rye to break up soil.
 Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.
Autumn planting: winter brassicas, ie kale, sprouts, oriental greens.
Add compost in spring and summer
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Lime the soil after harvest for brassicas if necessary.

Year 2

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes.

Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.

Year 3

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes.
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.

Year 4

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.
Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes.

15 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

By the time you have bought all of that its about 30 years worth of sweetcorn from the shop. Plus squrrel tastes like shit.

First rule of survival, don't eat the tins till you've exhausted all other options. 

I joke, I have no idea, the first rule is probably stay with your vehicle or some shit.

16 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Get a Jack Russell.  They go mad for squirrels.   Mice too.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Harley said:

Get a Jack Russell.  They go mad for squirrels.   Mice too.

I have a lovely female staffie who does the same, shits on the veg mind.

• 3 months later...
sancho panza

first Parsnips and carrots are planted.

Going to plant the potatoes I've been chitting.Pondering whether to plant striahgt into some purchased compost or wheter tto mix the compost with some topsoil.....  @Bobthebuilder or anyone else for advice

Bobthebuilder
9 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

first Parsnips and carrots are planted.

Going to plant the potatoes I've been chitting.Pondering whether to plant striahgt into some purchased compost or wheter tto mix the compost with some topsoil.....  @Bobthebuilder or anyone else for advice

Mix it with soil 50-50 nice big pots if you have them, plant them in about half full of soil and top up as the shoots appear and grow up, dont cover them completely let the sun get to the top leaves.

I did a job once for a allotment veg show winner,he told me if you want massive spuds put some horse manure in when you plant, never tried it myself.

When you harvest eat them on the day, they will be the best spuds you have ever eaten and remember, lots and lots and lots of water, veg are 90% water.

sancho panza
38 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Mix it with soil 50-50 nice big pots if you have them, plant them in about half full of soil and top up as the shoots appear and grow up, dont cover them completely let the sun get to the top leaves.

I did a job once for a allotment veg show winner,he told me if you want massive spuds put some horse manure in when you plant, never tried it myself.

When you harvest eat them on the day, they will be the best spuds you have ever eaten and remember, lots and lots and lots of water, veg are 90% water.

Cheers Bob.I'll mix half n half.Some of the videos onlien all plant straight into compost.do you add any extra feed or whatever you call it? somepeople add potassium.

I put the parsnips and carrots in a week back stright into the soil.Going to grwo the spuds in conatienrs.Point taken on the watering but I don't want to drwon them.

Luckily asda are selling top soil and compost,B&Q now shut.Going to have to rely on my chitted spuds as can't buy the B&Q version.

Looking to get an allotment.I see some people plant veg over the winter as well.

reformed nice guy

If you have a lot of clay in your soil then its good to mix in some sand where you are planting carrots and parsnips. Helps keep them a single strand, prevents them going all gnarly

Bobthebuilder
29 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

do you add any extra feed

I tend to feed everything in the garden, veg, flowers and fruit trees once a week, i do have a small garden mind and most plants are in pots. People say all sorts of things for feed but i just use the blue miracle grow crystals mixed in a watering can quite strong then use the hose for a proper water.

sancho panza
On 26/03/2020 at 14:06, Bobthebuilder said:

I tend to feed everything in the garden, veg, flowers and fruit trees once a week, i do have a small garden mind and most plants are in pots. People say all sorts of things for feed but i just use the blue miracle grow crystals mixed in a watering can quite strong then use the hose for a proper water.

Bob,anyone,forgive my ignorance but how often do you water.do you try and permananently stop it getting dry?

ALso about to put my spuds out.Watched a youtube saying wait for april after last frost  but then others saying before last frost.Does it make a difference?

ALos,leeks.You ever planted them?

Do you plant all year or jsut some of it?

Thanks if you can help.

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

Bob,anyone,forgive my ignorance but how often do you water.do you try and permananently stop it getting dry?

ALso about to put my spuds out.Watched a youtube saying wait for april after last frost  but then others saying before last frost.Does it make a difference?

Thanks if you can help.

I water everyday in dry weather, best to do it in the evening so the sun does not dry it out but i do water in the sun if things are wilting. As i said veg needs a lot of water spuds more so, best to use a hose everyday.

Leeks are easy, sow multiple seeds in pots through the summer then plant in when you harvest the spuds into the same pot, the leeks will be 9 inches tall ish, make a hole with the handle of a broom say and put the leeks about 5 inches down. They will grow over the summer, autumn and be ready all winter.The bit of the leek that grows in the hole blanches hence the white bit on the bottom of leeks. You get 2 harvest a year from the same pot / plot, spuds then leeks and sometimes you find a missed spud when you dig up the leeks in winter. Now you know why leek and potato soup is a classic.

Edit to answer all your questions.

I have planted out some early spuds already and will continue for April, if the plants have grown foliage and you get a frost it will kill them but if you are planting now the growth will not be until the end of next month so you should be ok.

Great thing about growing in pots is if you do get a frost you can always bring them indoors for the night.

sancho panza
23 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I water everyday in dry weather, best to do it in the evening so the sun does not dry it out but i do water in the sun if things are wilting. As i said veg needs a lot of water spuds more so, best to use a hose everyday.

Leeks are easy, sow multiple seeds in pots through the summer then plant in when you harvest the spuds into the same pot, the leeks will be 9 inches tall ish, make a hole with the handle of a broom say and put the leeks about 5 inches down. They will grow over the summer, autumn and be ready all winter.The bit of the leek that grows in the hole blanches hence the white bit on the bottom of leeks. You get 2 harvest a year from the same pot / plot, spuds then leeks and sometimes you find a missed spud when you dig up the leeks in winter. Now you know why leek and potato soup is a classic.

Edit to answer all your questions.

I have planted out some early spuds already and will continue for April, if the plants have grown foliage and you get a frost it will kill them but if you are planting now the growth will not be until the end of next month so you should be ok.

Great thing about growing in pots is if you do get a frost you can always bring them indoors for the night.

Cheers Bob.

I read soemwhere that overwatering could wash away the seeds but what you say makes a lot more sense.

I'm planting in stages,so one line of carrots/parsnips,week or tow later another line of carrots/leeks.I know this is a daft question but when you seed,do you jsut put one seed every five inches or so,or do you spread a few round and see what germinates.That's what I've done so far but am worried I might crowd some out.

That tip on the leeks is really good,how far apart do you space them?

When you sow the seeds in pots, do you jsut put them somewhere in the sun or do you put them inside with a bit of light? On the apcket there was a bit about planting out.IS that to avoid frost?

At the mo we're going for carrots,parsnips,leeks and spuds.Is there anything else that's easy to grow that we might have a go at?

Bobthebuilder
20 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Cheers Bob.

I read soemwhere that overwatering could wash away the seeds but what you say makes a lot more sense.

I'm planting in stages,so one line of carrots/parsnips,week or tow later another line of carrots/leeks.I know this is a daft question but when you seed,do you jsut put one seed every five inches or so,or do you spread a few round and see what germinates.That's what I've done so far but am worried I might crowd some out.

That tip on the leeks is really good,how far apart do you space them?

When you sow the seeds in pots, do you jsut put them somewhere in the sun or do you put them inside with a bit of light? On the apcket there was a bit about planting out.IS that to avoid frost?

At the mo we're going for carrots,parsnips,leeks and spuds.Is there anything else that's easy to grow that we might have a go at?

I have only grown carrots once, sow seeds in drills then thin out as they grow, a lot of work for something thats cheap as chips in the shops(same for most root veg i think) plenty of vids on youtube. You sow carrots in Feb usually and parsnips taste better after a frost at the end of the year Dec onwards.

A lot of pot planting is done to give the little plant a chance against frost, snails and slugs, they would not stand a chance sown directly in the ground, grow them on a windowsill, cold frame or greenhouse if you have one.

Easy veg are sweetcorn, courgette, tomatoes,spinach,if you want tomatoes its a bit late in the year to grow from seed now, best buy a few small plants if you can.

You sow root veg directly into the soil then thin out the smallest and most others in pots first then plant out late spring.

Monty Don knows all.

sancho panza
6 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have only grown carrots once, sow seeds in drills then thin out as they grow, a lot of work for something thats cheap as chips in the shops(same for most root veg i think) plenty of vids on youtube. You sow carrots in Feb usually and parsnips taste better after a frost at the end of the year Dec onwards.

A lot of pot planting is done to give the little plant a chance against frost, snails and slugs, they would not stand a chance sown directly in the ground, grow them on a windowsill, cold frame or greenhouse if you have one.

Easy veg are sweetcorn, courgette, tomatoes,spinach,if you want tomatoes its a bit late in the year to grow from seed now, best buy a few small plants if you can.

You sow root veg directly into the soil then thin out the smallest and most others in pots first then plant out late spring.

Monty Don knows all.

Many thanks for your patience schooling the novice here Bob,much appreciated.

I've watched lots of vids but you can't ask them questions.

Bobthebuilder
30 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Many thanks for your patience schooling the novice here Bob,much appreciated.

I've watched lots of vids but you can't ask them questions.

A bit like advice on ISAS, SIPPS, cashflow, pe etc for me.

I will say growing veg can be easy or can be a lot of work, dont get an allotment unless it really is your hobby. See what older gardeners grow they have learnt the hard way, spuds easy, just put them in soil they will grow and you will get spuds. Same for courgettes, tomatoes need picking out side shoots and tying up to a cane as they grow but thats it, water, feed and you will get veg.

Roots and brassicas are a lot harder to do and have more pest problems best left for your 2nd or 3rd year really but stick the carrots and parsnips in, give it a go, nothing better than seeing children pulling the carrots up and the wonder on thier faces.

My cherry tree is just starting to blossom, its in its 3rd year and the 1st time it has blossomed, patience is needed, just like some shares i guess.

IMG_2905.JPG

sancho panza
38 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

A bit like advice on ISAS, SIPPS, cashflow, pe etc for me.

I will say growing veg can be easy or can be a lot of work, dont get an allotment unless it really is your hobby. See what older gardeners grow they have learnt the hard way, spuds easy, just put them in soil they will grow and you will get spuds. Same for courgettes, tomatoes need picking out side shoots and tying up to a cane as they grow but thats it, water, feed and you will get veg.

Roots and brassicas are a lot harder to do and have more pest problems best left for your 2nd or 3rd year really but stick the carrots and parsnips in, give it a go, nothing better than seeing children pulling the carrots up and the wonder on thier faces.

My cherry tree is just starting to blossom, its in its 3rd year and the 1st time it has blossomed, patience is needed, just like some shares i guess.

IMG_2905.JPG

Yeah I'm well aware I know nothing that's why thread s like this help so much.I'll go easier on the roots and get some courgettes/sweetcorn.I need to learn,I think it's vital for the kids going forward to udnerstand the planting cycle

I've not even asked about pests yet but will leave that for when it happens.But even knowing how to grow spuds is useful.

Congrats on the cherry tree,must be a proud moment.Like with thsi growing stuff,I could jsut buy it,but I know the kids will lvoe doing the harvesting.

My eldest has really got into helping me sift the soil/dig out weeds and is well excited about frying his own chips.

The simple things that our society has forgotten how to enjoy to some extent.

Bobthebuilder
42 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

My eldest has really got into helping me sift the soil/dig out weeds and is well excited about frying his own chips.

They will be the best chips you have ever had.

14 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

They will be the best chips you have ever had.

57 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Get some beef dripping! 

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker

AS food is about to ROCKET in price over the next cycle...Discover How YOU can GROW FOOD For FREE!

Not only that get some of the best gardening advice I’ve ever read!

This 224 Page book "Grow Food for Free" reveals how to do it EVEN without a garden! Hint... a used car tire!

spacer.png

PDF book download link:  FREE at NO cost:D

On 28/03/2020 at 06:51, sancho panza said:

Thanks if you can help.

Where abouts roughly in the UK aer you?

And do you know your approximate soil type, i.e. heavy clay, heavy chalk. This is quite important but I don't want to frighten anyone off.

If you are on heavy clay like me then this means the ground stays wet until April, then in summer it dries like a desert. It affects what you can grow to an extent. If you are on heavy clay then fruit trees will grow well but brassicas will not without some imporvements. Generally it's best to see what farmers are growing in orchards or fields nearby to give you an idea.

You can check soil type here: http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/

If you used raised beds you can control the soil type to an extent of course -- you choose what to put in them.

Bobthebuilder
23 hours ago, Loki said:

Get some beef dripping! 

On the subject of home made chips, beef dripping is a must and i never peel my spuds, just chop em up and fry with the skin on. Bit of salt, ketchup? or gravy?

1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

On the subject of home made chips, beef dripping is a must

Is this just a personal preference or is there more to it?

Archived