DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

Bobthebuilder
42 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Is this just a personal preference or is there more to it?

Personal preference i suppose, if you get all chefy about it a double cooked chip in dripping is more like a roast potato than fries done in vegatable fat like you get in mcdonalds.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sancho panza
On 29/03/2020 at 11:27, Bobthebuilder said:

They will be the best chips you have ever had.

Put out the first two spud pots today.Very excited.

I'm actually thinking about using more pots as they're eaiser to control than planting striaght into the soil.I sued the half n half mix on top soil/compsot as you said.

On 29/03/2020 at 11:42, Loki said:

Get some beef dripping! 

I'll try that.

On 29/03/2020 at 21:59, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

AS food is about to ROCKET in price over the next cycle...Discover How YOU can GROW FOOD For FREE!

Not only that get some of the best gardening advice I’ve ever read!

This 224 Page book "Grow Food for Free" reveals how to do it EVEN without a garden! Hint... a used car tire!

spacer.png

PDF book download link:  FREE at NO cost:D

Cheers YRS,super vid.I'll have a proper butchers on Wednesday through the book.

Im really getting into this but have found thee's so many conflicting views on the web,I need to find jsut one source.

On 29/03/2020 at 22:38, spunko said:

Where abouts roughly in the UK aer you?

And do you know your approximate soil type, i.e. heavy clay, heavy chalk. This is quite important but I don't want to frighten anyone off.

If you are on heavy clay like me then this means the ground stays wet until April, then in summer it dries like a desert. It affects what you can grow to an extent. If you are on heavy clay then fruit trees will grow well but brassicas will not without some imporvements. Generally it's best to see what farmers are growing in orchards or fields nearby to give you an idea.

You can check soil type here: http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/

If you used raised beds you can control the soil type to an extent of course -- you choose what to put in them.

Doesnt sound frightening.I'm in Liecester.I was wodnering about soil types.Im in a green bit.

Thanks for the tips on looking at farmers,theyre mainly growing wheat n sheep.xD

http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/

image.thumb.png.a8c4672b45ce63e946c9710e6bde1a6c.png

image.thumb.png.95d199200771d41dc877862ac3603128.png

On 29/03/2020 at 22:38, spunko said:

Where abouts roughly in the UK aer you?

And do you know your approximate soil type, i.e. heavy clay, heavy chalk. This is quite important but I don't want to frighten anyone off.

If you are on heavy clay like me then this means the ground stays wet until April, then in summer it dries like a desert. It affects what you can grow to an extent. If you are on heavy clay then fruit trees will grow well but brassicas will not without some imporvements. Generally it's best to see what farmers are growing in orchards or fields nearby to give you an idea.

You can check soil type here: http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/

If you used raised beds you can control the soil type to an extent of course -- you choose what to put in them.

This one of the reasons I might start growing more in pots.

2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

does anyone know any online stores still selling garden stuff? Tried B&Q and they were shut,couldn't order.

I've just ordered a load of stuff from Homebase.

Wickes website was 36min queue just to get on.

Can't find a garden incinerator anywhere :CryBaby:

Bobthebuilder

I normaly buy my tomatoes, courgettes etc as small plants but as the garden centers are shut, this year will be mostly spuds from leftovers from the kitchen, oh well when needs must.

Heart's Ease
10 hours ago, sancho panza said:

does anyone know any online stores still selling garden stuff? Tried B&Q and they were shut,couldn't order.

https://www.compostdirect.com/all-products/compost/c43

I ordered a bulk bag from these guys at the weekend. No communication since but I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are good to go.

Wickes had grow more compost in yesterday in Halifax so I've put an order in for my sheltering neighbours. 30 minute wait. They're also still taking orders for wood delivery.

B+M had seeds which I got for a sheltering neighbour.  Bigger ones might have compost.

Lidl had small bags yesterday.

I've got my compost heap layered up and needing a turn.  Going for the Berkeley method.  Thanks btw for your earlier posts on your raised beds. I've borrowed your plot rotation!

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
12 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Cheers YRS,super vid.I'll have a proper butchers on Wednesday through the book.

Im really getting into this but have found thee's so many conflicting views on the web,I need to find jsut one source.

Other than Huw Richards channel, this is the ONLY organic food growing Y T stuff i watch, this guy James (MEGA Passionate) also PROVES all is planting/growing methods work...ENJOY:D

I haven't been in for a few days but Wilkinsons usually has compost/seeds and some plants and is open here so you can pop in for essential supplies of gardening stuff.

Heart's Ease
6 hours ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

Other than Huw Richards channel, this is the ONLY organic food growing Y T stuff i watch, this guy James (MEGA Passionate) also PROVES all is planting/growing methods work...ENJOY:D

I was looking for a link to the hot composting that James did back in November 2018 and could only find the follow up. Yep, enjoy his channel enormously. 

• 3 weeks later...
Bobthebuilder
On 18/04/2020 at 14:58, sancho panza said:

@Bobthebuilder got our first sprouts on the spuds bob,trying to get a pciture laoded but struggling

I was very excited.Elated even.Been looking for days/weeks and no signs of growth.

Awesome.

Once the shoots get 2 inches of growth you can earth them up a bit if you like, helps protect any spuds from sunlight. Water lots, twice a day in dry weather, once in the morning and again in the evening, spuds need a lot of water, lots of water.

Look forward to seeing those chips.

sancho panza
5 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Awesome.

Once the shoots get 2 inches of growth you can earth them up a bit if you like, helps protect any spuds from sunlight. Water lots, twice a day in dry weather, once in the morning and again in the evening, spuds need a lot of water, lots of water.

Look forward to seeing those chips.

your read my mind.that was my next question.

I got some small shoots on my first carrots and parsnips but too realy to tell much else.

I've got some leeks in too.A friedn was saying you can leave them in the ground for a few extra months so you don't use them all at once.

Bobthebuilder
17 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I've got some leeks in too.A friedn was saying you can leave them in the ground for a few extra months so you don't use them all at once.

Leeks will be good right through to next spring, then they will go to seed.

Frank Hovis
14 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Leeks will be good right through to next spring, then they will go to seed.

Leek seeds are absolutely superb.  I had some at one of those "how we used to live" demos and then planted some leeks to let them seed.  They were really nice.

This was maybe thirty years ago so I can't recall the flavour but it's worth letting a couple go just to try them.

It's come back to me - nutty and oniony.

Heart's Ease
13 minutes ago, Harley said:

Did you receive your order?  How long did it take?

Hi @Harley just checked back and I got it on 6 April.  A brimmed bulk bag and decent pallet. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bobthebuilder
On 13/05/2020 at 23:59, sancho panza said:

Just lost some of my first spud crop wto what looks like blight.Gutted.

Post a picture up SP, seems to early in the year for blight.

On 13/05/2020 at 23:59, sancho panza said:

Just lost some of my first spud crop wto what looks like blight.Gutted.

This is serious. sancho's posted this in the economic survival thread rather than the gardening one. O.o

sancho panza
4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

This is serious. sancho's posted this in the economic survival thread rather than the gardening one. O.o

where's the gardening one?

@Bobthebuilder

I've had a scare when I thought I'd got some blight but the spud plants look to have receovered.although clearly some damage.Some of them never got the light leaves.I looked up blight on youtube and it says you get it on the stems.This was only ever on the leaves really but I do appear to have lost a couple.

first ones are my good boxes,then the ones where .The leaves went yellow and wilted.A couple have come back as I got some feed and watered more carefully.

20200522_164533_resized.jpg

20200522_164558_resized.jpg

20200522_164612_resized.jpg

20200522_164806_resized.jpg

sancho panza
4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Post a picture up SP, seems to early in the year for blight.

I think I paniced a bit bob, but I'm realtively timepoor and I've been putting a lot of time into these and our carrots/parsnips/leekxD..A couple of the plants have recovered.But I'm worried I've either put too much soil in,or over watered....

Bobthebuilder
18 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I think I paniced a bit bob, but I'm realtively timepoor and I've been putting a lot of time into these and our carrots/parsnips/leekxD..A couple of the plants have recovered.But I'm worried I've either put too much soil in,or over watered....

Those spuds look ok to me, a bit of yellowing and what looks like snail damage but they will be fine. You cant over water spuds so dont worry about that. They look about the same as mine, i will post a pic tomorrow.

sancho panza
10 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Those spuds look ok to me, a bit of yellowing and what looks like snail damage but they will be fine. You cant over water spuds so dont worry about that. They look about the same as mine, i will post a pic tomorrow.

Cheers Bob,I chitted my own spuds so I don't know if I maybe planted a couple of duds.it was jsut when the leaves went yellow and the plants wilted in two of the buckets I was nearly cryingxD.My eldest and me have put so much effort in I didn't know how to tell him,I thought we were going to lose the whole crop.

WHats the thing with snail damage,should I put anbything down?How do you tel snail damage?

Thanks fi you can help.

We got our carrots and parsnipts growing slowly but couldn't psot a pciture as I was at the limit on ehre and needed the help with the spuds.

Archived