DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

Chewing Grass
4 minutes ago, Agent ZigZag said:

Which model No 5 would that be chewing Grass as there appears to be a few with some significant variance in price

Traditional favourites used to be Record and Stanley.

Loads on ebay, even antique ones still in their box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOXED-RECORD-NO5-PLANE/353099817246

or new

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stanley-Tools-No-5-Jack-Plane-2in-STA112005/303084946780

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Traditional favourites used to be Record and Stanley.

Loads on ebay, even antique ones still in their box.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOXED-RECORD-NO5-PLANE/353099817246

or new

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stanley-Tools-No-5-Jack-Plane-2in-STA112005/303084946780

I feel I should buy one of these.

I can confirm that the economy has not yet collapsed. I've just sold a teapot on ebay for £75.

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I feel I should buy one of these.

I can confirm that the economy has not yet collapsed. I've just sold a teapot on ebay for £75.

If you are after hand (non-power) carpentry tools there are loads of old carpenters ones on ebay and other than the collectors items (there are serious handtool collectors) quality bargains can be had.

sancho panza
4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Ive done it before.

Its a bit harder now than it was a few years ago they have tightned the rules up a tad. It used to be a right to own a shotgun but now you have to belong to a club and shoot regually to keep the licence.

A shotgun certificate is easier to own than a firearms licence, shotgun cert is for guns that can only hold 2 cartradges.

Finding land to shoot on is a nightmare IMO, the saying goes you get 2 birds a year from a shoot at £1500 each.

You can apply online, just give it a go. When i applied for mine a while back i recieved the certificate in 9 days and that was it.

Self defence is an illegal motive, if you even mention it you will not get a cert. Its also worth knowing that a carrying a air rifle on land that you dont have shooting permission is classed as a firearm offence with a mandatory 5 year sentance.

Its great fun though, clay shooting is fantastic fun.

SUper news Bob.

Once you've got the licence I presume if you ease up on the shooting club activities,noone really checks or minds too much.

Do you get a visit to check your gun cabinet or anythign like that?

Bobthebuilder
38 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

SUper news Bob.

Once you've got the licence I presume if you ease up on the shooting club activities,noone really checks or minds too much.

Do you get a visit to check your gun cabinet or anythign like that?

Not sure about the club checks these days.

You will need to install a gun safe and they will come and check it plus door / window security etc. They will come and check this on licence renewal as well, taking notes on gun serial numbers etc, plus a criminal record check.

Edit to add, they will come to your house and interview you really, i used to have my local firearms officers number on my phone, thats kinda how it is.

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I've been using the enforced work from home to sell on ebay, I've sold 6 things in the last week for a total of 150 quid, all stuff I no longer use. Ten auctions left to go and many with bids.

My girlfriend has been doing the same, and is on turbo mode, clearing out a lot of old clothes. She's done almost 300 quid in two weeks. 

I can't believe the demand is there, a lot of the stuff we are selling is cheap, but some is £50+. People are bored I suppose. Or they just trust that the furlough money will be never ending? Personally I've been super conservative with spending since this started.

People could be substituting their normal shopping trips for cheaper second hand purchases. Either way, I've sold on ebay a lot in the past and I've never seen so much demand.

Frank Hovis
6 hours ago, Hardhat said:

I've been using the enforced work from home to sell on ebay, I've sold 6 things in the last week for a total of 150 quid, all stuff I no longer use. Ten auctions left to go and many with bids.

My girlfriend has been doing the same, and is on turbo mode, clearing out a lot of old clothes. She's done almost 300 quid in two weeks. 

I can't believe the demand is there, a lot of the stuff we are selling is cheap, but some is £50+. People are bored I suppose. Or they just trust that the furlough money will be never ending? Personally I've been super conservative with spending since this started.

People could be substituting their normal shopping trips for cheaper second hand purchases. Either way, I've sold on ebay a lot in the past and I've never seen so much demand.

I know people who spend half their evenings buying stuff online to "bag a bargain".  It's their hobby and it gives them a high.

They get a second buzz when the delivery arrives and they get to open it because it's like opening a birthday present.  They are disappointed if they don't get a "present" every day.

They aren't spending a fortune but it's not buttons either; maybe £30 a day up to £100.

And it all accumulates in their house because they don't really want the object; it's the buying and receipt of a present that gives them the pleasure.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know people who spend half their evenings buying stuff online to "bag a bargain".  It's their hobby and it gives them a high.

They get a second buzz when the delivery arrives and they get to open it because it's like opening a birthday present.  They are disappointed if they don't get a "present" every day.

They aren't spending a fortune but it's not buttons either; maybe £30 a day up to £100.

And it all accumulates in their house because they don't really want the object; it's the buying and receipt of a present that gives them the pleasure.

I see you've met my wife.

8 hours ago, Hardhat said:

I've sold about £1,500 of stuff in the last month. None of these things are useful - generally collectables. I tend to buy from local antiques auctions and then sell on. All buy it now sales with offers - this way you tend to avoid the nutters as they have to think about the purchase rather than get caught up in the bidding.

I'm hoping the antiques auctions will fire up again soon. I really enjoy the experience of searching through interesting lots.   Also can't beat a day at an outdoor antiques fair like Newark.

Castlevania
On 10/06/2020 at 02:04, Hardhat said:

The price of retro video games has rocketed especially in the US. I guess people have time to play games and the $600 a week unemployment payments has to go somewhere.

Popuplights

My daughter has been clearing out her student house in Guildford. She had a table and a bookcase she didn't need, and had got for free in the first place. She put them on FB marketplace as free to collect, and was swamped with offers. Bloke came from Reading to collect in the end. Mental.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Here's the first batch @Bobthebuilder. Think I plucked em too early.

20200717_172727.jpg

when ydo you harvest.I'm going to plant some maincrop now I think,take me into winter :-)

Is the large one in the foreground ashamed to be associated with the others or is it making a break for it? 

Bobthebuilder
22 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Here's the first batch @Bobthebuilder. Think I plucked em too early.

20200717_172727.jpg

when ydo you harvest.I'm going to plant some maincrop now I think,take me into winter :-)

Awesome SP, i ate all mine about a month ago. Bit late to plant now but you would get a samish crop by Xmas.

Bobthebuilder
9 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Is the large one in the foreground ashamed to be associated with the others or is it making a break for it? 

The little ones are ganging up.

Bobthebuilder
33 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Here's the first batch

Anyway, you promised us chips, need to see the photo.

sancho panza
On 18/07/2020 at 00:49, Bobthebuilder said:

Anyway, you promised us chips, need to see the photo.

Bob, I still haven't cooked them yet....still showing them off.xD

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

Bob, I still haven't cooked them yet....still showing them off.xD

Dont leave them to long. The whole thing about growing your own spuds is the taste, cooked on the day they came out the ground is heaven, you will never have tasted such a sweet spud.

sancho panza
16 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Dont leave them to long. The whole thing about growing your own spuds is the taste, cooked on the day they came out the ground is heaven, you will never have tasted such a sweet spud.

Ok roger that.

I've got another 7 bucketsxD....I jsut want my moment in the sun with the kids.The Mrs thinks I'm a top farmer.....................sounds sad,but she says she's really proud of me.

On 24/07/2020 at 12:04, sancho panza said:

...sounds sad,but she says she's really proud of me.

And why not!  A blooming fine thing to be able to do.  My partner runs our allotment and I'm well impressed.  They say it's cheaper to buy but they're not comparing like with like.  Maybe in the past but no more.  

sancho panza
1 hour ago, Harley said:

And why not!  A blooming fine thing to be able to do.  My partner runs our allotment and I'm well impressed.  They say it's cheaper to buy but they're not comparing like with like.  Maybe in the past but no more.  

We baked them today.and as @Bobthebuilder promised they tasted really good......it was a massive difference to supermarket spuds.mrs P noticed and she's a food scientist.

Sadly,she trod on one of my two leeks growing in the veg patch last week but I have some reserves growing in pots now but they're three months behind the rest.our gardener syays you can elave leeks in the ground for two years.....................?????

on another matter,mrs P has her first shotgun lesson in august.

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

We baked them today.and as @Bobthebuilder promised they tasted really good......it was a massive difference to supermarket spuds.mrs P noticed and she's a food scientist.

Sadly,she trod on one of my two leeks growing in the veg patch last week but I have some reserves growing in pots now but they're three months behind the rest.our gardener syays you can elave leeks in the ground for two years.....................?????

on another matter,mrs P has her first shotgun lesson in august.

pink-toy-shotgun.jpg

Archived