DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

Bobthebuilder
On 25/08/2019 at 00:59, sancho panza said:

Cheers for that Bob.Now I know Im going to sound thick as here but so what you're saying is stik some spuds in some sloil and they'll grow spuds ad infinitum if yu leave keep topping the soild up?

Invcredible.I never had anyone to teach me this stuff.Thanks.If you can think of any other plants that are easy to grow then please feel free to post.

Heres the spuds from one of the plants in a 12" pot, planted them late about 3 months ago. Going to have them for tea tonight.

IMG_20191006_151129.thumb.jpg.8d99af267435a45899c16525c5f98e03.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/10/2019 at 08:01, Sugarlips said:

This poor fella has attempted to go off grid/FIRE in outback Western Australia, doing no one any harm and the council is gonna fight him all the way..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-30/outback-council-threatens-illegal-camper-with-legal-action-fine/11653536?fbclid=IwAR1FRxU5y2MlTd3jbmcWmxTx0IN2HzWAoXAfgg4L0dn9xXQ8xCqqG0M73cg

It's funny that he bought the land for $4500AUD but his fines are double the land value.Council are crazy.

On 06/11/2019 at 05:44, Tdog said:

There is a TV show on Channel 5 tonight at 9pm that was really good last week with Ben Fogel presenting ... had some  bright 24 year old Italian girl who'd been sleeping rough, but then got preggers and bought a shack in some Swedish forest to raise her kid... not sure who its about tonight but last weeks was definitely worth watching.

not that fucking bright then, all things considered...

• 2 weeks later...
Bobthebuilder
On 17/11/2019 at 20:24, sancho panza said:

compsot bin now in situ,going to start weeding the plots ready for the february planting season......exciting times.

What are you going to grow SP?

On 05/11/2019 at 18:44, Tdog said:

There is a TV show on Channel 5 tonight at 9pm that was really good last week with Ben Fogel presenting ... had some  bright 24 year old Italian girl who'd been sleeping rough, but then got preggers and bought a shack in some Swedish forest to raise her kid... not sure who its about tonight but last weeks was definitely worth watching.

I watched it last night on catchup and then saw your post.  The odd comment raised my doubts, Ben's too to the point he asked her what was going on. 

I don't think it was quite wilderness off grid as made out:  generous Swedish benefit system, especially with child, father visits now and then, as does mother in law, those bin contents looked a plant, has money for the gas, car, etc, did not seem at all DIY practical to have done much, story with those newish biildings and the wood clearance, bench in that interview spot by the water, theose few seedlings (plus nothing ready for them to be planted), etc. 

Still, love the programme though and Ben is great.  Binge watched all three episodes - the Panama folk seemed quite wierd (plus what inventions?).  And that Ethiopian restaurant, and £600k!

My favourite was the Sri Lankan one with the vet in the last season.  She was great.  Not off grid though.

Pretty much all my watching now is off grid and building stuff.  A lot is fake but there are some gems.  The best ever show, with the best ever cast, of which Bob Harte (a very RIP) came over as the most beautiful of people, was "The Last Alaskan".

spacer.png

Bus Stop Boxer
2 hours ago, Harley said:

I watched it last night on catchup and then saw your post.  The odd comment raised my doubts, Ben's too to the point he asked her what was going on. 

I don't think it was quite wilderness off grid as made out:  generous Swedish benefit system, especially with child, father visits now and then, as does mother in law, those bin contents looked a plant, has money for the gas, car, etc, did not seem at all DIY practical to have done much, story with those newish biildings and the wood clearance, bench in that interview spot by the water, theose few seedlings (plus nothing ready for them to be planted), etc. 

Still, love the programme though and Ben is great.  Binge watched all three episodes - the Panama folk seemed quite wierd (plus what inventions?).  And that Ethiopian restaurant, and £600k!

My favourite was the Sri Lankan one with the vet in the last season.  She was great.  Not off grid though.

Pretty much all my watching now is off grid and building stuff.  A lot is fake but there are some gems.  The best ever show, with the best ever cast, of which Bob Harte (a very RIP) came over as the most beautiful of people, was "The Last Alaskan".

spacer.png

Is that Dominic Grieve from the future?

I remember the original series Fogel did, the people always seemed to have something else going on as opposed to just living wild.

There was a program once, long time ago, don't think it was any of the series I remember Fogel/parry/mears/Grylls etc. This old guy had bought an island in the Seychelles years earlier, when it was much more remote, built himself a house, raised some monkeys and when the crew turned up on a boat to visit him he came running and bouncing down the island like a man in his 20s. Iirc he'd retired in his 50s, had been there 40 years and when they asked how he was so fit his response was along the lines of he didn't have to deal with people anymore. It was a very long time ago, so my memory might be scrambled, but this guy has always been an inspiration. Get as far away from cold weather and other people when you're as young as possible. 

You'd think having a pension and grown up children should be the first requirements for anyone considering a mud hut in bongobongoland. Dragging small children along for the ride is a hiding to nothing, at best they end up weird like that Greta girl.

21 hours ago, Tdog said:

...but she had something about her...

Yes she did, which was quite attractive.

21 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Is that Dominic Grieve from the future?

No.  As mentioned, it was a seemingly beautiful guy who very sadly passed away (with cancer).

Bus Stop Boxer
1 hour ago, Harley said:

Yes she did, which was quite attractive.

No.  As mentioned, it was a seemingly beautiful guy who very sadly passed away (with cancer).

Sorry, cheap joke made without reading all the thread.

On 25/11/2019 at 18:43, Bobthebuilder said:

What are you going to grow SP?

Going to decide over next month.From memory,planting season is mainly feb/msr through summer.defo going to do potatoes in buckets.need to get some work done on my planting plan but haven't had time.currently away in Zuid Afrika with Mrs P staying with some rellies of hers who have a smal farm and their subsitence ability is incredible.

I need to get my planting list ready so any help greatly appreciated from those in the know.wink wink ;)

I've got two plots 1 ten foot square the other ten foot by eight fot,

reformed nice guy

I did my plan yesterday. I have a polytunnel and a fairly large outdoor patch.

In the tunnel i am growing:

• tomatoes (cherry and normal)
  • courgettes
  • lettuce
  • cucumber
  • aubergine
  • melons - never tried this before, this is my first attempt

Outside:

• Peas
  • Beans - broad, french, runner
  • onions - red, normal, spring
  • two pumpkins 
  • beetroot
  • parsnip
  • carrots
  • turnips
  • swede
  • chard
  • radish
  • brocolli
  • cauliflower
  • leeks
  • rocket
  • spinach

Now it does look a lot when I list it like that, but it is not so bad. I do it in waves so that it all doesnt come at once, aiming for a dozen carrots being pulled while another dozen are growing to be pulled a month later.

The most difficult thing in the above list are the cauliflowers and brocolli.

A simple tip for the carrots is to put a bit more sand where they are growing and they will be less wizened.

Bobthebuilder
2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Going to decide over next month.From memory,planting season is mainly feb/msr through summer.defo going to do potatoes in buckets.need to get some work done on my planting plan but haven't had time.currently away in Zuid Afrika with Mrs P staying with some rellies of hers who have a smal farm and their subsitence ability is incredible.

I need to get my planting list ready so any help greatly appreciated from those in the know.wink wink ;)

I've got two plots 1 ten foot square the other ten foot by eight fot,

Not much you can plant directly into the ground in Feb, carrot seeds maybe. I would leave the spuds until late March early April, any frost will kill them if they have come up.

You will have great fun with those sized plots, good luck and enjoy it.

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, reformed nice guy said:

I did my plan yesterday. I have a polytunnel and a fairly large outdoor patch.

In the tunnel i am growing:

• tomatoes (cherry and normal)
  • courgettes
  • lettuce
  • cucumber
  • aubergine
  • melons - never tried this before, this is my first attempt

Outside:

• Peas
  • Beans - broad, french, runner
  • onions - red, normal, spring
  • two pumpkins 
  • beetroot
  • parsnip
  • carrots
  • turnips
  • swede
  • chard
  • radish
  • brocolli
  • cauliflower
  • leeks
  • rocket
  • spinach

Now it does look a lot when I list it like that, but it is not so bad. I do it in waves so that it all doesnt come at once, aiming for a dozen carrots being pulled while another dozen are growing to be pulled a month later.

The most difficult thing in the above list are the cauliflowers and brocolli.

A simple tip for the carrots is to put a bit more sand where they are growing and they will be less wizened.

I am an old bloke these days and have tried most things in life vegetable or not. 20 years of trying to grow veg will testify to tomatoes, courgettes, cucumber, aubagine, radish, leeks, spinach(perpetual) as being easy to grow, the rest on your list not so, but good luck and let us know how you get on.

reformed nice guy
51 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I am an old bloke these days and have tried most things in life vegetable or not. 20 years of trying to grow veg will testify to tomatoes, courgettes, cucumber, aubagine, radish, leeks, spinach(perpetual) as being easy to grow, the rest on your list not so, but good luck and let us know how you get on.

I have a great polytunnel, my own chickens and do a lot of composting so I am in a lucky position. This will be my 5th year of doing it "properly". Currently have a lot of rocket and spinach growing despite the cold weather.

The only thing on the list I didnt grow last year was melon and aubergine. In true Dosbods style, I am planning to use either leftover seeds or gathered seeds. My pumpkin got nibbled when still a fairly small plant so thats why I am doing two.

A good source for seeds is realseeds.co.uk

They dont do hybrids and show you how to gather the seeds for next year

Bobthebuilder
17 hours ago, reformed nice guy said:

I have a great polytunnel, my own chickens and do a lot of composting so I am in a lucky position. This will be my 5th year of doing it "properly". Currently have a lot of rocket and spinach growing despite the cold weather.

The only thing on the list I didnt grow last year was melon and aubergine. In true Dosbods style, I am planning to use either leftover seeds or gathered seeds. My pumpkin got nibbled when still a fairly small plant so thats why I am doing two.

A good source for seeds is realseeds.co.uk

They dont do hybrids and show you how to gather the seeds for next year

Sounds great.

Aubergine can be really satisfiying to grow but watch for the tiny snails they burrow in and grow fat.

If i was still growing flat out i would use a polytunnel, as someone else said "the plastic is fantastic".

A great veg plant that is wonderful to grow and eat that i forgot to add is sweetcorn, you must grow some SP and potatoes in your 1st year.

3 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Sounds great.

Aubergine can be really satisfiying to grow but watch for the tiny snails they burrow in and grow fat.

If i was still growing flat out i would use a polytunnel, as someone else said "the plastic is fantastic".

A great veg plant that is wonderful to grow and eat that i forgot to add is sweetcorn, you must grow some SP and potatoes in your 1st year.

except when the fucking squirrels find it.  Then they take one bite from each one and laugh in little squirrel voices.

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

except when the fucking squirrels find it.  Then they take one bite from each one and laugh in little squirrel voices.

Better they do that than attempt to bring down a Boeing.  We should all plant sweetcorn to help save the frequent flyers.

Bobthebuilder
2 hours ago, wherebee said:

I once had squirrels bite the bases of half my sweetcorn plants one year in one night, little laughing bastards.

18 minutes ago, dgul said:

Better they do that than attempt to bring down a Boeing.  We should all plant sweetcorn to help save the frequent flyers.

yep.

20 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

We are always hopelessly behind the times for TV down under so I’ve only just come across this show and thought it was quite good and relevant here, not sure if it’s been ok UK tv though? Building off the grid in Alaska

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5273826/

Ta, I watch anything with "off grid" or "Alaska" in it!  Maybe on Youtube, etc where there are several videos about such things.  Some "Building Alaska" , etc videos on Youtube too.  Typing "off grid" into Youtube yields an impressive list of stuff.  Some are incredibly well made.  The modern day Jack Hargreaves.  "TA Outdoors" has 1.26m subscribers!  Kindred spirits.  Who needs live TV and a tax!

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the afternoon with Junior Panza digging up some roots and smal bushes where we're going to plant.

He grafted hard for a 13 year old,was more enjoyable than I thought.Started talking about spuds and frying our own chips.

Starting to think planting cycle and found this helpful article.

Looking to build my self a simple rota for planting

Debating whether to go for raised beds.

Any advice from the expereienced gratefully received.

https://www.jackwallington.com/13-tips-to-help-allotment-newbies-by-an-allotment-newbie/

National allotment society some good advice-dont even know what brassicas are.With a planting schedule

https://www.nsalg.org.uk/growing-advice/how-to-plan-an-allotment/

Traditionally allotments are set in rows, on a three year crop rotation system (brassicas, roots and then ‘other veg’), but today the style of allotment planting is much looser – with people choosing to mix up their beds, breaking up the formality of the rows.

Crop Rotation

After setting aside a section of your plot for perennial crops such rhubarb and asparagus, every new plot-holder needs to give some thought to crop rotation. This helps to ensure that you do not get a build-up of pests and diseases, groups plants with similar nutritional needs

together, and helps to build soil fertility. Crops such as sweetcorn, squash and salads can be fi tted in suitable places around the plot but take care not to grow them in the same spot every year. Some gardeners follow a 3 year rotation schedule.

Year 1

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes.
Autumn planting: onions, leeks, garlic, shallots.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.
Autumn planting: green manure such as grazing rye to break up soil.
 Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.
Autumn planting: winter brassicas, ie kale, sprouts, oriental greens.
Add compost in spring and summer
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Lime the soil after harvest for brassicas if necessary.

Year 2

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes.

Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.

Year 3

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes.
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.

Year 4

Bed 1 Spring and summer planting: carrots, parsnips, beetroot, celery, spinach, chard, parsley, celeriac.
Bed 2 Spring and summer planting: brassicas, such as cabbage, broccoli, caulifl ower, rocket, radish, turnip.
Bed 3 Spring and summer planting: peas and beans.
Bed 4 Spring and summer planting: Enrich the soil with compost and plant potatoes, tomatoes, courgettes.

Archived