• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuey

Idiots travelling on Bank Holiday Friday

Yep, hands up... Plan was to get from Stockton to Lytham. Trains across through Leeds ruined by the music festival there. A66 barely moving past Scotch Corner.. So turned  back and now sampling the excellent pubs in Stockton, every cloud etc. 

I am sure it will be very different today and over the weekend but last night we went into Bath for a meal to celebrate our youngest GCSE results. The town was the quietest I have ever seen on an August evening. I thought we were alone in having low occupancy having just returned from Italy and closing the hotel for two weeks while we were away but I suspect occupancy of hotels and restauarant takes will see many businesses struggle in the near future.

The council hold much blame for this in their greed in expanding the hospitality sector so that now Bath is just another clone cityof so many others IMO.

1 minute ago, man o' the year said:

The council hold much blame for this in their greed in expanding the hospitality sector so that now Bath is just another clone cityof so many others IMO.

Why not have a wild weekend in Chippenham?

Yep, M5 here south of Bristol is fucked already, which is becoming pretty standard on any Friday afternoon but on a Friday bank holiday it's basically guaranteed that you'll get some cock turning his caravan over and blocking the whole thing up for hours. I 'work from home' most BH Fridays because of this.

It's really hotting up here too. I wouldn't fancy travelling this weekend.

I have a week off and Mr B, the old romantic,  has promised me a trip to Highbridge to looking at campers. I'm really excited but I expect we'll save it for Tuesday. 

3 minutes ago, Boglet said:

Yep, M5 here south of Bristol is fucked already, which is becoming pretty standard on any Friday afternoon but on a Friday bank holiday it's basically guaranteed that you'll get some cock turning his caravan over and blocking the whole thing up for hours. I 'work from home' most BH Fridays because of this.

I used to enjoy living on Castlefield in Manc as every now and then about twelve trams would queue up alongside a few trains due to problems at Deansgate... Amusing when you're not involved. 

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Solutions:

A. Bring in a form of road pricing. The technology already exists.. Or

B. Make petrol £2 a litre. Or

C. Kick out immigrants.

Block tractors and trucks from A roads. 

I do wonder what the breaking point is. Traffic around London is non-stop these days. The congestion is literally the worst thing about the UK. There are just no roads that don't take huge amounts of traffic.

Posted it before but my dad used to have dinner at 6pm and leave for work at maybe 6:25pm to get to work for 7. Now he has to leave at 5:15pm and is still late some days. There's roads around here which kids used to play cricket and stuff in the middle of in the 1990s, and now they are literally like main roads during rush hour. But stuff like this seems to just be dismissed by politicians.

Gone are the days where you could go on a day trip anywhere in the South East, you just spend your entire time sitting in traffic. That's all that seems to happen whenever I go out in a car.

Nowadays on any journey sub 4 miles I just walk it. Cycling is death trap and public transport is a waste of time since by the time you factor in getting to the station at both ends, waiting for the bus, then the traffic, and the standard 15 minute train delay, you can easily just walk the journey in a faster time if you've got nothing to carry and a go at a decent pace.

Edited by Bakez

16 minutes ago, Bakez said:

I do wonder what the breaking point is. Traffic around London is non-stop these days. The congestion is literally the worst thing about the UK. There are just no roads that don't take huge amounts of traffic.

Posted it before but my dad used to have dinner at 6pm and leave for work at maybe 6:25pm to get to work for 7. Now he has to leave at 5:15pm and is still late some days. There's roads around here which kids used to play cricket and stuff in the middle of in the 1990s, and now they are literally like main roads during rush hour. But stuff like this seems to just be dismissed by politicians.

Gone are the days where you could go on a day trip anywhere in the South East, you just spend your entire time sitting in traffic. That's all that seems to happen whenever I go out in a car.

Nowadays on any journey sub 4 miles I just walk it. Cycling is death trap and public transport is a waste of time since by the time you factor in getting to the station at both ends, waiting for the bus, then the traffic, and the standard 15 minute train delay, you can easily just walk the journey in a faster time if you've got nothing to carry and a go at a decent pace.

I have worked in the same geographic area all my life doing engineering for a living.

35 years ago 95% of the workforce lived either in the town or in the ones immediately around it.

If you drove 20 miles in from Manchester you were bloody odd or mad.

Now we have something like 25% driving the 20 miles from Manchester (1 hour on a good day), +2 hours on a bad day plus another 10% of folk who do 40-50 miles in from the sticks every day.

When I ride the 5 miles I do in on a pushbike on a good day it takes 5 mins longer than the car, on a bad day the bike is 15 minutes quicker.

Riding by bike is feasible if you avoid main roads as much as possible and don't mind getting a bit muddy if its wet.

Lack of job security and high housing costs have forced people into being hardcore commuters.

If commuting costs were tax deductible congestion wouldn't exist as the glubberment would move hell and high water to preserve its balance sheet.

Edited by Chewing Grass

11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Lack of job security and high housing costs have forced people into being hardcore commuters.

Yup, as when your job goes, it is too expensive to move. I certainly agree with that one.

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Yup, as when your job goes, it is too expensive to move. I certainly agree with that one.

The corollary of that is that many graduates don't have a car, work and rent hutches in City centres, and compete between each other for the £2k pay rise to £27k.... 

All good until the dindus catch on and follow. 

Edited by Stuey

4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Looks like we have no roads or traffic down here.

Wonder what the percentage of main arterial motorway miles VS population is like against other countries - I know geographic size also affects what would be needed but does look like there are a woeful number of motorways to deal with a population of 10's millions - drawing drivers into the same choke points to go to most places N/S, E/W.

23 hours ago, Bakez said:

I grew up on the south coast, and thought 45 minutes on a Saturday to do 11 miles was normal as I knew no different. Since moving "up north" I can now see how overcrowded it was, and this was the 80's. Yes, they have improved the road infrastructure since then, but it is still way too busy for me when I go back.