• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Are the so called "red arrows" showing their true colours by betraying the UK taxpayer and trying their luck on the deregulated US airshow curcuit

It seems some government  propaganda on the So-Called BBC is punting some "feelgood factor / special relationship" guff about the so called "red arrows" taking time out to tour the United States where airshows and aviation flying regs are much more degenerate than  in the UK after the heinous Shoreham Airshow Massacre.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/display-teams/red-arrows/us-canada/

Edited by WorkingPoor

It is also being punted on uk governement propaganda media outlets that a so called "Raf Typhoon display team" will be replacing the taxpayer funded so called "red arrows" at heavily regulated uk airshows this summer & autumn.

1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

It is also being punted on uk governement propaganda media outlets that a so called "Raf Typhoon display team" will be replacing the taxpayer funded so called "red arrows" at heavily regulated uk airshows this summer & autumn.

That’d be interesting if the pilots slipped up and went supersonic in the middle of the show! (I don’t believe the story anyway)

Just now, WorkingPoor said:

By the way did anyone on here actually give any £ to #VulcanToTheSky .com?

I could be wrong but I think your interest in such things way exceeds that of everyone else on here. 

4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

By the way did anyone on here actually give any £ to #VulcanToTheSky .com?

No.

Fine if people like that but I don't have a romantic view of planes these days; I find air travel a pain and noisy helicopters repeatedly disturb the peace of the day.

Why do you hate airshows so much ? 

I quite like them and will be going to Bournemouth* next weekend. 

It's far more dangerous just driving half a mile to the shops than it is watching an airshow.  Shoreham was terrible, we all know that, but tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people take great pleasure from the shows.

Life is shit enough without removing the few remaining pleasures that exist for people.

*Bournemouth airshow is performed over the sea.

Sad if they need to go to the US to practice,  but if we’ve regulated the crap out of it then it’s hardly surprising.

I do worry there will be a lot of disappointed people in this country surprised to reach their death beds despite having removed every element of fun and risk from their existence in the pursuit of eternal life.

34 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Sad if they need to go to the US to practice,  but if we’ve regulated the crap out of it then it’s hardly surprising.

I do worry there will be a lot of disappointed people in this country surprised to reach their death beds despite having removed every element of fun and risk from their existence in the pursuit of eternal life.

They practice for most of the year outside of the UK. They're only really in the UK for the summer display season. 

2 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

The Red Arrows is a display of pilot performance as a team.  It is rather impressive.  The Typhoon display team is a display of aircraft performance.  I find the latter quite boring as all the 4th gen fighters are pretty similar (from a 'looking from the ground' POV).  5th gen aren't really impressive as they're all about stealth and comms.   The only impressive tech I've seen for years is the MIG29OVT.  Anyway, IMO they're all just noisy things and you're better off watching something like spitfires or stunt planes are they're more aerodynamic at lower speeds and so match the small visual envelope of an air display. 

30 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Blackpool airshow was quite crap this year. There was the BBMF which is always nice to see but the rest was rather dull. The best year was about three years ago when it featured the Red Arrows, a flying fortress and the Vulcan.

Duxford airshow is simply the nuts. 

Big black male to female? o.O

2 hours ago, dgul said:

The Red Arrows is a display of pilot performance as a team.  It is rather impressive.  The Typhoon display team is a display of aircraft performance.  I find the latter quite boring as all the 4th gen fighters are pretty similar (from a 'looking from the ground' POV).  5th gen aren't really impressive as they're all about stealth and comms.   The only impressive tech I've seen for years is the MIG29OVT.  Anyway, IMO they're all just noisy things and you're better off watching something like spitfires or stunt planes are they're more aerodynamic at lower speeds and so match the small visual envelope of an air display. 

From when I was a kid in the 1970s the big ones for me impression and thrill wise were.

1) Hawker Sea Fury

2) AVRO Vulcan

3) De Havilland Mosquito

4) EE Lightning

Sea Fury was the best noise, Vulcan (going vertical) made all your insides vibrate as the ground shook.

Surely the whole point of an airshow is to convince any friendly despots you've invited that this year's must-have colour for airborne death-dealing is blue?*

Entertainment value for the plebs is purely coincidental.

*Other colours are available. Easy terms for payment can be negotiated.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Mine:

1) B-17 Flying Fortress.

2) Twin Lancasters (a few years back when that one from Canada came over)

3) Avro Vulcan.

4) Typhoon. They fly over my house most days but the display they put on makes them look like something out of Star Trek and...the noiseO.o

5) PBY Catalina. Lovely looking thing.

6) Fairey Swordfish. Bigger than I thought!

I love old planes, me.

Spitfire for me.

You can recognise it from the sound of the engine alone.

Without fail it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Maybe not the best fighter ever built but certainly the most beautiful.

Edited by Virgil Caine

3 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Surely the whole point of an airshow is to convince any friendly despots you've invited that this year's must-have colour for airborne death-dealing is blue?*

Entertainment value for the plebs is purely coincidental.

*Other colours are available. Easy terms for payment can be negotiated.

Well said Bishop.

Now tell us what car-boot sales and antique shows are *really* all about...

;)

XYY

See them ''Red Arrows'' 'planes that are heading towards Yankee-land to show-off - will they fly there by their own ''steam'', or be towed-over by some fairly expensive aeroplane-transporter type boat...?

I forget which position I currently hold in MrPin's ''government-in-waiting'' - but think I probably need to know some shit about aeroplanes, and them poofy boats...!

''Aye-aye, Cap'n...!''

Did I get that right...?

XYY

@MrPin

Edited by The XYY Man

19 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

See them ''Red Arrows'' 'planes that are heading towards Yankee-land to show-off - will they fly there by their own ''steam'', or be towed-over by some fairly expensive aeroplane-transporter type boat...?

I forget which position I currently hold in MrPin's ''government-in-waiting'' - but think I probably need to know some shit about aeroplanes, and them poofy boats...!

''Aye-aye, Cap'n...!''

Did I get that right...?

XYY

@MrPin

They'll fly over under their own steam, via Iceland/Greenland/etc.

12 minutes ago, dgul said:

They'll fly over under their own steam, via Iceland/Greenland/etc.

I was wondering about that - do you know that to be the case? And would they need to refuel mid-air to do that?