• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Mobile phone battery life

I've had this phone, a Samsung Galaxy S8, for about 16 months.

Normal usage pattern: one phone call during the day, otherwise almost nothing. Used occasionally in the evening. Charged in the evening, to 100% before bed.

These days, the battery is down to between 67% and 72% by the morning. I'm pretty sure it used to retain over 90%. By 5pm it's down to somewhere around 55% despite seeing almost no usage. Clicking "Close All" to shut down all running apps seems to make little to no difference.

Went out on Saturday, used "Maps" to navigate with screen off for 90 minutes. That used about 50% of the battery. Which was then dead before I returned home. Spent half the day in an area with no data services at all and occasionally no voice service either.

Operating system is Android 7, as it was out-of-the-box. All automatic updates are forcibly disabled so it never detects any. No apps are allowed to self-update though I suspect some do occasionally. In the period prior to what seems like a very rapid decline nothing was updated - people often blame updates - the thing is stable and pretty much so like-for-like before and after.

I can't see anything that's draining the battery excessively. In the absence of anything else I'm just assuming that the battery is basically knackered and needs replacing now. It will make it through the day left indoors but taken outside it's unlikely to survive a whole day.

Can anyone see anything of particular significance? Thanks. (Short charges are when I put the thing back down on the wireless charging point which I suspect may hasten the demise of the battery).

Screenshot_20190826-112603.thumb.png.e0cf6238ac86d9e6c66f9eb5cd07f493.pngScreenshot_20190826-112720.thumb.png.bfb0b00818660fe2c9ddcb879d533ac4.pngScreenshot_20190826-112659.thumb.png.2a9f0719456be92eac5eebf09315f95e.pngScreenshot_20190826-112501.thumb.png.7aff7cdf2ff149ecf62156e124bbb16c.pngScreenshot_20190826-112537.thumb.png.481c85a6b957df2aabd9b132a8797904.pngScreenshot_20190826-112555.thumb.png.17aedc01ff8a55d09f9a68d87404883f.png

Screenshot_20190826-112555.png

Edited by DTMark

I just upgraded my two and a bit years old Xiaomi Mi 5. Not really much reason to upgrade except same problem as you, battery didn't get me through the day. Supposedly with some phones you can swap the supposedly unswappable battery but can't see it being a good result. 

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Why not put a new battery in it? 18 months is about right for constant use.

If I have to pay for it myself, it costs about £70 - there's a "place in town" that does these while-you-wait. Though I think it's probably unavoidable.

What has been especially good about this one is that there's a way to kill all the spyware Samsung put on it, and also to kill the phone's ability to even detect any updates, so it's as flawless as it was out-of-the-box and everything works perfectly. There's no reason to change it.

27 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Well, that's my scrolling thumb knackered.

Cheers Mark...!

;)

XYY

It all fits on the screen at once on my desktop :P

Just now, dillinger said:

I have a Samsung S6 which at times overheats.

I went to Bed last Night wuth it at 100% 

Woke this morning with it at 38%.

When it heats up it drains the Battery.

There's a well-known problem suspected to lie with the Android "Pie" version on the S8. There's a growing body of evidence that the overheating causes the battery to expand and push the back off the casing, then the battery tries to escape around the edges of the phone.

This is why I've given up on big brand phones, they just dont prioritise battery life. These days I just but buy generic chinese shite off amazon, currently I have a Blackview BV5800 https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/07/13/blackview-bv5800-review-solid-budget-rugged-ip68-smartphone/. Also as @Funn3r mentioned, Xiaomi  are another cheap chinese brand that lots of people rate. Bin that samsung over priced shit and get a phone actually designed for normal every day use. 

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What a URL! 

I always cut off the rest of the URL before posting 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNZOS-Replacement-EB-BG530BBU-EB-BG530BBE-EB-BG531BBE

All the other stuff reveals your entire sexual history and an index to your FBI file. 

42 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Can anyone see anything of particular significance?

Not that’s obvious..   how the hell do you have such bad luck with phones Mark?!!

If it is any small consolation my work phone is an apple and the battery in that only lasted about 3 years (with pretty heavy use).

16 months sounds pathetic though.

I’d be tempted to change the battery and see if you can do a clean android install.

Failing that I’d probably be throwing it in the bin and swearing a lot.  

17 minutes ago, DTMark said:

If I have to pay for it myself, it costs about £70 - there's a "place in town" that does these while-you-wait. Though I think it's probably unavoidable.

Get a DIY kit for £15. I’ve not done a Samsung but I have replaced the battery on a few different models of iPhone. None took more than about 20 minutes.

YISHDA Galaxy S8 Battery, 3000mAh Replacement Samsung Galaxy S8 Battery EB-BG950ABE with Tools for SM-G9508 G9508 G9500 G950U SM-G G9500 | Samsung S8 Spare Battery [18 Month Warranty] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KTYNX8P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zj8yDbMF75WF7

9 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Not that’s obvious..   how the hell do you have such bad luck with phones Mark?!!

If it is any small consolation my work phone is an apple and the battery in that only lasted about 3 years (with pretty heavy use).

16 months sounds pathetic though.

I’d be tempted to change the battery and see if you can do a clean android install.

Failing that I’d probably be throwing it in the bin and swearing a lot.  

The last Android phone I had was also a Samsung and the battery life was appalling but then so was Android back then, it was just laughable. Following a subsequent experience with a shite Samsung big-screen TV that had to go back for a refund I swore I'd never buy anything made by Samsung again.

But this time I forked out the ~£650 for this thing thinking "I'll spend decent money on something that will last" and that doesn't seem to be the case.

I suspect a claim against the retailer will be difficult because all batteries decline over time, it's inevitable, and it does 'still work'. It's just that being out and about the other day drove home how useless these things are: the navigation is a key feature that gets you where you're going but then can't get you home again because the battery dies. So much promise, but when it comes to using the thing, it doesn't deliver. Battery life is the killer with these things. But I suspect it would have managed it when it was new.

Even though the AccuBattery app might say "16 hours at 65%" or whatever, the moment you use it to do anything for any period of time you can watch the % dropping in real-time and the lower it gets the faster it seems to discharge.

14 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Get a DIY kit for £15. I’ve not done a Samsung but I have replaced the battery on a few different models of iPhone. None took more than about 20 minutes.

YISHDA Galaxy S8 Battery, 3000mAh Replacement Samsung Galaxy S8 Battery EB-BG950ABE with Tools for SM-G9508 G9508 G9500 G950U SM-G G9500 | Samsung S8 Spare Battery [18 Month Warranty] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KTYNX8P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Zj8yDbMF75WF7

I've just been watching the DIY video. The thing needs a lot of dismantling. The probability that I'll do all of that successfully isn't very high, I suspect it's best left to someone who has done it before ;)

These things really aren't designed to be "repaired", are they.. :(

9 minutes ago, DTMark said:

the navigation is a key feature that gets you where you're going but then can't get you home again because the battery dies.

That probably isn't just you,  satnav seems to drain them all pretty quick.  A couple hours of constant use like that will probably drain most because the screens always on and it's working away in the background.

Perhaps a a temporary measure one of those charge blocks would be a worthwhile investment?  Just take it in a pocket if you know you're going to be using your phone a lot..  I always take one if I'm flying/travelling.

14 minutes ago, DTMark said:

But this time I forked out the ~£650 for this thing thinking "I'll spend decent money on something that will last" and that doesn't seem to be the case.

For hi tech electronics generally you need to do opposite - buy the absolute cheapest thing that will do the job and expect to replace it in 1-3 years. I mean I could but 4 phones of the type I usually buy for that.

Edited by goldbug9999

52 minutes ago, DTMark said:

There's a well-known problem suspected to lie with the Android "Pie" version on the S8. There's a growing body of evidence that the overheating causes the battery to expand and push the back off the casing, then the battery tries to escape around the edges of the phone.

That happened to my husband's last phone - I think it was a Sony of some description.

14 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

For hi tech electronics generally you need to do opposite - buy the absolute cheapest thing that will do the job and expect to replace it in 1-3 years. I mean I could but 4 phones of the type I usually buy for that.

This one came with things like facial recognition and NFC but I've never used either. The one thing that's really handy is the wireless charging. Makes plugging a cable in seem like a real nuisance. A nice big screen and really clear definition - it even has a reasonably decent DAC (audio) but then tech moves on and imagine cheap phones these days would compare well.

14 minutes ago, DTMark said:

15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

and NFC but I've never used either

NFC is the thing which enables contactless payment with your phone, it's a very convenient thing actually. Also you can NFC read the hidden details off your passport. 

33 minutes ago, This Time said:

That happened to my husband's last phone - I think it was a Sony of some description.

My son’s moto as well.

29 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Charging your phone to 100% shortens the battery life. Same goes for electric cars! 

Bit late now I suppose. Just get a cheap phone with a huge battery and charge it to 80%, the battery will last many years.

Are you sure about that? I know that nicad batteries had problems like that but I thought lithium batteries were fine with it.

40 minutes ago, This Time said:

Husband has a Sony and it always feels like it’s overheating.

Spotify drains my battery. I have a Oneplus 5. The only plus is it charges to full capacity super quickly.