• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
sam1994

Getting good manual workers

Recommended Posts

Every summer to prepare for the winter I take on a couple of sixth formers that have finished their studies and are waiting to go to university.

The work is manual: answer phone, make tea and send letters etc. After 3 days they have it mastered.

Have been paying them £12/hr (5 hrs a day) and give them a MacBook. They leave it here until they finish but if they do the full 8 weeks they can have it when they leave. There’s microwaveable food in the fridge and I’m pretty relaxed as long as the work gets done. But it is a dead end job. 

Normally I approach nearby schools to get these people. I now need more labour because I’m not 100%. I went to a job center and asked but everyone seems to be to put it politely, a bad fit..

Where can I find people that want a hopefully reasonably paying job for basic work?

I don’t need more problems right now, just someone that wants to do some work 

S

Edited by sam1994

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tdog said:

Friends kids? or friends of friends kids? 

I’d assume they’d be back to school now. I need people that are 18+ because we handle chemicals and sometimes even things like isopropyl alcohol treatment and chemical washing of hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

Every summer to prepare for the winter I take on a couple of sixth formers that have finished their studies and are waiting to go to university.

The work is manual: answer phone, make tea and send letters etc. After 3 days they have it mastered.

Have been paying them £12/hr (5 hrs a day) and give them a MacBook. They leave it here until they finish but if they do the full 8 weeks they can have it when they leave. There’s microwaveable food in the fridge and I’m pretty relaxed as long as the work gets done. But it is a dead end job. 

Normally I approach nearby schools to get these people. I now need more labour because I’m not 100%. I went to a job center and asked but everyone seems to be to put it politely, a bad fit..

Where can I find people that want a hopefully reasonably paying job for basic work?

I don’t need more problems right now, just someone that wants to do some work 

S

Thats not manaul work, thats office jobs.

Job centres are the last place to look for anyone employable.

Try putting an add in the local papers.

Are you in an urban centre and or near public transport?

Kids dont have much in way of transport, so you need to be near where your workforce is. Ive gone blue in the face explaining to idiots whove converted an old barn (owned by pw into an office but suddenly find out theres noone available within 40m commute to do the work.

 

 

 

Youre at the wrong end of summer for this.

People will be going back in a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, snaga said:

Try a few locsl fast good/ coffee shops and look for good service, try to poacb the staff that seem capable, hygenic, and can speak coherantly.

 

I’ll try this, that’s a decent suggestion. There is a Costa near, maybe some people want to make up some extra hours. 

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

Menial repetitive work? Get an Indian on upwork for 8 dollars an hour and make the tea yourself. :Old:

Needs to be in person. If I hire someone on Upwork I know I need to do it again myself. 

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

If it’s virtual, I would be delighted to help out @sam1994  at a loose end at the mo. 

Unfortunately it’s not remote work, appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Thats not manaul work, thats office jobs.

Job centres are the last place to look for anyone employable.

Try putting an add in the local papers.

Are you in an urban centre and or near public transport?

Kids dont have much in way of transport, so you need to be near where your workforce is. Ive gone blue in the face explaining to idiots whove converted an old barn (owned by pw into an office but suddenly find out theres noone available within 40m commute to do the work.

 

 

 

Youre at the wrong end of summer for this.

People will be going back in a few weeks.

I always get them lined up in March so when they finish exams by June I have several weeks. 

I’ve noticed these lads are good because it’s an early job for them so they’re not jaded; and £12 is the world to them. Haven’t had a problem yet. One or two no shows but then I just don’t pay them.

I would be happy to pay more. I had one bloke that was a beast. Would always fix things and wouldn’t leave until everything was done properly, not a 9-5er. I paid him £25 an hour in the end because he was worth 2 people. But he left because he had to move up North. When he left he even got me another person in, one of his mates. He was good too. 

30-40 mins from London Bridge or Victoria. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

I’ll try this, that’s a decent suggestion. There is a Costa near, maybe some people want to make up some extra hours. 

Needs to be in person. If I hire someone on Upwork I know I need to do it again myself. 

Unfortunately it’s not remote work, appreciated. 

I always get them lined up in March so when they finish exams by June I have several weeks. 

I’ve noticed these lads are good because it’s an early job for them so they’re not jaded; and £12 is the world to them. Haven’t had a problem yet. One or two no shows but then I just don’t pay them.

I would be happy to pay more. I had one bloke that was a beast. Would always fix things and wouldn’t leave until everything was done properly, not a 9-5er. I paid him £25 an hour in the end because he was worth 2 people. But he left because he had to move up North. When he left he even got me another person in, one of his mates. He was good too. 

30-40 mins from London Bridge or Victoria. 

Thats not a great wage for the area.

Chuck in train travel cost and it might not be worth it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spygirl said:

Thats not a great wage for the area.

Chuck in train travel cost and it might not be worth it.

 

True.

The sixth formers I was getting in were from down the road (half a mile walk). 

Local wetherspoons seem to be advertising £8.50 an hour, so might need to bump it up. 

Main task is just folding cardboard and pushing it in to a machine. If the machine makes a bad noise, press red button. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Thats not a great wage for the area.

Chuck in train travel cost and it might not be worth it.

 

Bollocks. That is top dollar for an 18 year old.

My advice? Network.

We took on 8 students every year, August to December. They used it to raise funds to go travelling in January.

After the first couple of years we didn't advertise. We got siblings, friends of siblings etc. Some very high quality people.

Your best bet is to ask those that have worked for you before to recommend next year's cohort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Bollocks. That is top dollar for an 18 year old.

My advice? Network.

We took on 8 students every year, August to December. They used it to raise funds to go travelling in January.

After the first couple of years we didn't advertise. We got siblings, friends of siblings etc. Some very high quality people.

Your best bet is to ask those that have worked for you before to recommend next year's cohort. 

Hadn’t thought of that. So just ask the chaps to recommend siblings or their mates in the lower years that will come up?

Problem is I need work out of the school holiday period now as I’m effectively immobile at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

I would be happy to pay more. I had one bloke that was a beast. Would always fix things and wouldn’t leave until everything was done properly, not a 9-5er. I paid him £25 an hour in the end because he was worth 2 people. But he left because he had to move up North. When he left he even got me another person in, one of his mates. He was good too.

Good on you for recognising their value as a worker, there are not many bosses that would do that. Its a shame that in time they will learn that the majority of bosses will take advantage of that dilligent hard work ethic. But its great to know there are good people in the world and I understand your business does very well, so proof that you can treat workers fairly and still be a successful business.

It's shame you are not local as I know a couple of great lads who have just finished exams and are looking for work. There will certainly be some locally, it's just finding them. Wight Flights advice on networking and recommendation is sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

Hadn’t thought of that. So just ask the chaps to recommend siblings or their mates in the lower years that will come up?

Problem is I need work out of the school holiday period now as I’m effectively immobile at the moment.

I don't know about now, but 8 years ago there were plenty of people taking gap years. The chance to earn £6k by Christmas and then go travelling was very appealing.

Also big the job up. Ours was actually quite demanding, and they mainly started off clueless about the world of work but ended up, after four months in a fairly high stress environment, as highly employable.

A few months experience, with a good reference, is gold dust to recent McGraduates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Bollocks. That is top dollar for an 18 year old.

My advice? Network.

We took on 8 students every year, August to December. They used it to raise funds to go travelling in January.

After the first couple of years we didn't advertise. We got siblings, friends of siblings etc. Some very high quality people.

Your best bet is to ask those that have worked for you before to recommend next year's cohort. 

It hinges on cost and time to travel.

Then the type of work.

Stuff lije eateries can see your wage almost double with tips.

 

Have you been upfront about pay and not tried diddling people out of their cash?

One of the local pubs is renowned for this. He cannot get staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

It hinges on cost and time to travel.

Then the type of work.

Stuff lije eateries can see your wage almost double with tips.

 

Again Spy you are talking out of your arse.

How recent is your experience of finding work as an 18 year old or restaurant tips paid to staff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, null; said:

Good on you for recognising their value as a worker, there are not many bosses that would do that. Its a shame that in time they will learn that the majority of bosses will take advantage of that dilligent hard work ethic. But its great to know there are good people in the world and I understand your business does very well, so proof that you can treat workers fairly and still be a successful business.

It's shame you are not local as I know a couple of great lads who have just finished exams and are looking for work. There will certainly be some locally, it's just finding them. Wight Flights advice on networking and recommendation is sound.

Happy worker = happy customer service.

Sometimes there is a fuckup. Customer gets wrong item etc.

Just fixing it as promptly as possible is key. We are high margin, so customer service is expected. Low margin is a crappy sector

Invest in people.  Always make sure they are fed and happy.  They must take their breaks too. 

No worker means no business. This is the reality. We can do all the fancy software we want but if there is no guy that can physically send what we produce we are fucked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sam1994 said:

Happy worker = happy customer service.

Sometimes there is a fuckup. Customer gets wrong item etc.

Just fixing it as promptly as possible is key. We are high margin, so customer service is expected. Low margin is a crappy sector

Invest in people.  Always make sure they are fed and happy.  They must take their breaks too. 

No worker means no business. This is the reality. We can do all the fancy software we want but if there is no guy that can physically send what we produce we are fucked. 

I agree with that. Just never believe they are grateful, like you or are loyal to anything but the paycheck.

Voice of experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wight Flight said:

I agree with that. Just never believe they are grateful, like you or are loyal to anything but the paycheck.

Voice of experience.

 

I’m aware of that. You do get some grafters but generally I just have kids that want the money. 

I’m fine with that — just get the work done. They generally do.

S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Again Spy you are talking out of your arse.

How recent is your experience of finding work as an 18 year old or restaurant tips paid to staff?

My nieces are 17-22.

I chat to them.

If you are a good payer then it gets around.

If you are a bad payer/ gropey then it gets around quicker.

18yo niece has slready changed jobs after she did not get the hours/money promised.

Its not that different from when i was that age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

My nieces are 17-22.

I chat to them.

If you are a good payer then it gets around.

If you are a bad payer/ gropey then it gets around quicker.

18yo niece has slready changed jobs after she did not get the hours/money promised.

Its not that different from when i was that age.

So they are getting £10 per hour wages and the same again in tips?

Fair play to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

My nieces are 17-22.

I chat to them.

If you are a good payer then it gets around.

If you are a bad payer/ gropey then it gets around quicker.

18yo niece has slready changed jobs after she did not get the hours/money promised.

Its not that different from when i was that age.

What is a good pay?

I generally hire English people. They are the predominant local demographic. I’ve also hired the +~2M demographic too.

I don’t know what 25 hrs a week should pay per hour, but haven’t had issues before. My problem now is finding more people in a different hiring process. That’s due to lack of knowing where to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sam1994 said:

What is a good pay?

I generally hire English people. They are the predominant local demographic. I’ve also hired the +~2M demographic too.

I don’t know what 25 hrs a week should pay per hour, but haven’t had issues before. My problem now is finding more people in a different hiring process. That’s due to lack of knowing where to go. 

£1 per hour more than everyone else is paying.

And most are paying minimum wage. Age related. If you want a good 18 year old at least pay them as an adult.

I think you are already offering more than everybody else. If I was in your area I would be sending both my lads your way.

So your problem is you aren't fishing in the right pond. With your pay and conditions you should be getting top quality youngsters. 

Have you thought about talking to the careers advisors in the local schools? They are crap but do at least know the youngsters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

So your problem is you aren't fishing in the right pond. With your pay and conditions you should be getting top quality youngsters. 

 

Yep, need to advertise a bit. 

I noticed some chip shows have good hard workers so might go there too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.