• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Prison Officer job

The local paper has flagged that there's a vacancy at Dartmoor prison; linked below.

The prison service is notoriously understaffed so you will be at risk although Dartmoor is category C - the lowest risk of closed, as opposed to open, prisons.

This is in the middle of nowhere - think Porridge - so most people will have a long commute.

In a world where head teachers can be on six figure salaries, link below, you would think that this job would be reasonably well paid.

Wrong.

For a 37 hour week you get £21.6k; minimum wage pays £15.8k for the same hours.

So you get another £480 per month for all the commuting and risk compared to serving in the Spar shop.

Great; that's really valuing frontline public servants.

https://justicejobs.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-15/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/3/opp/28462-201908-Prison-Officer-HMP-Dartmoor/en-GB

https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-are-uk-headteachers-the-highest-paid-33570

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The local paper has flagged that there's a vacancy at Dartmoor prison; linked below.

The prison service is notoriously understaffed so you will be at risk although Dartmoor is category C - the lowest risk of closed, as opposed to open, prisons.

This is in the middle of nowhere - think Porridge - so most people will have a long commute.

In a world where head teachers can be on six figure salaries, link below, you would think that this job would be reasonably well paid.

Wrong.

So you get another £480 per month for all the commuting and risk compared to serving in the Spar shop.

Great; that's really valuing frontline public servants.

https://justicejobs.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-15/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/3/opp/28462-201908-Prison-Officer-HMP-Dartmoor/en-GB

https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-are-uk-headteachers-the-highest-paid-33570

Probably rely upon people with a police or military pension subbing their salary

Just now, Hopeful said:

Probably rely upon people with a police or military pension subbing their salary

I think you're right.

Houses in Princeton are some of the cheapest in the SW, for a reason, but £21k won't even buy you one of those.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

it's not a fortune for working nights or dealing with scum..

To clarify I was saying that it was an absolute pittance for what the work involves; somewhat insulting.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think you're right.

Houses in Princeton are some of the cheapest in the SW, for a reason, but £21k won't even buy you one of those.

I haven't been caught for any crimes yet and so I wouldn't voluntarily go to prison, and I have never really understood why anyone would choose going to prison for a career.

You'd be better as a cleaner at a nice office block somewhere for a living.

Our cleaners pop in do some vacuuming, clean the desks and the toilets, everyone's friendly to each other and every year we have a whipround to buy them a wee christmas gift.

Less money but a better existence.

Edited by JoeDavola

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

You'd be better as a cleaner at a nice office block somewhere for a living.

Our cleaners pop in do some vacuuming, clean the desks and the toilets, everyone's friendly to each other and every year we have a whipround to buy them a wee christmas gift.

Less money but a better existence.

A wee Christmas gift, do you think they like cleaning up wee or what?

18 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I haven't been caught for any crimes yet and so I wouldn't voluntarily go to prison, and I have never really understood why anyone would choose going to prison for a career.

That it is a secure job with a decent pension scheme; both of which are rare as hens' teeth in a rural area particularly for a non-clerical job.

It used to also have a reasonably good wage.

To me this is yet another example of the government trying to make all labour interchangeable and equally paid; so that job could be filled by an Iranian just off the motor boat as well as an any lcoal with eminent;y suitbale experience.

It is devaluing labour as does the minimum wage.  However much effort you put in you will be barely paid above minimum wage.

The message sent by the offered salary is loud and clear is: don't bother getting qualifications or experience because we don't care; anyone can do it.

Those pointless degrees just got that little bit more worthless.

People are being farmed.

I have just looked at, for comparison, what this job pays in the Irish Republic.

Whilst Varadka has an obvious agenda to achieve population growth by immigration it has not yet happened to anywhere near the level it has happened hee; though it is in the pipeline.

Prepare to be shocked by those enormous benefits that mass immigration has brought to the native population of the UK:

Average Prison Officer Salary in United Kingdom

£23,343
Avg. SalaryShow Hourly Rate
£2,035
Bonus

Average Prison Officer Salary in Ireland

€41,216
Avg. SalaryShow Hourly Rate
€13,226
Bonus

https://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Prison_Officer/Salary

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Prison_Officer/Salary

I knew someone who'd dreamed of becoming a prisoner officer; got the job and his bubble was then popped - moral in the Service is at rock bottom. Not long after he'd joined they were moved lock and stock from the civil service to private companies (I think G4S in this case) and their benefits were eroded and eventually it wasn't much more than minimum wage.

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

I knew someone who'd dreamed of becoming a prisoner officer; got the job and his bubble was then popped - moral in the Service is at rock bottom. Not long after he'd joined they were moved lock and stock from the civil service to private companies (I think G4S in this case) and their benefits were eroded and eventually it wasn't much more than minimum wage.

Ditto police; though the pay is better.

I knew a computer bloke, again it was his deam.  Trained and trained then applied and was accepted in his later thirties.  He lasted a year before resigning  because of the way that frontline officers were put at huge risk of violence through stupidly low manning levels and is now back in computers.

"Good" jobs are vanishing.  It's just jobs now.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I didn't realise the salary was that low. More than what I am currently getting but mine is a cosy gig in comparison. 

I thought it was from £25-28k these days given the risky nature of the work, how wrong I am. 

At £21.6k they are probably seeking unemployed applicants who have fewer options. :/

Also they are looking to close Dartmoor prison owing to its age and maintenance costs.  It's leased from Prince Charles with a ten year notice period.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-23968703

If it closes you will be transferred to working at Exeter.  Now that is shocking badly run; you do not want to work there.

In May 2018 Peter Clarke put Exeter Prison under an emergency protocol having found the prison, “unequivocally poor” with soaring levels of violence and self-harm. An inspection in May had found high levels of self-harm and 6 suicides, also high levels of assaults against prisoners and staff and high drug use. Clark wrote, “During the inspection we saw many examples of a lack of care for vulnerable prisoners which, given the recent tragic events in the prison, were symptomatic of a lack of empathy and understanding of the factors that contribute to suicide and self-harm.” Clarke maintained prison safety had “significantly worsened in many respects” since the August 2016 inspection. Prisoner on prisoner assaults rose by 107% and assaults on staff rose by 60% since the previous inspection. Clarke noted there was a, “strong smell” of drugs in some wings and some prisoners were, “clearly under the influence”. Many cells needed repair with broken windows, leaking toilets and sinks and badly screened toilets. Deborah Coles of Inquest said, “This cannot be blamed on staffing levels. That serious safety concerns are systematically ignored points to an institutional and shameful indifference to the well-being of prisoners. In any other setting this institution would be closed down.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Exeter

That wage for being a prison officer is pathetic. Wages in relation to house prices/ rents are a disgrace for many.

The fella who sweeps my multifuel stove flue is a fireman serving his final year for his pension. I was shocked a few years ago when he told me his pathetic monthly wage. Just under £1500 per month after deductions

No wonder he’s building a self employment business on the side! He’s very non pc and hasn’t advanced in the fire service to a desk job. He’s a thoroughly decent and competent guy and the type you’d want turning up at a fire

When he started his self employment the station officer pulled him up for parking his van with advertising in the fire station car park......not a good image for the public blah blah blah.....chimney sweep shrugged his shoulders and responded that he was a family man with a home and kids and the fire service wages required a boost!

He was here the other day and told me about applying for promotion for his last year as a thought to boost his pension payments......with his DGAF attitude of course. Oh how we laughed when he recounted the tale of packing in after four days of the three week tests.

I had a mate who was one.  Started off OK and then just looked grey all the time.  It must have been like serving time too!  Then the outsourcing, newish rules, etc.

It appears to me a high proportion of prison guards are thick, rough slags who end up blowing an armed robber serving life, before getting caught smuggling a Nokia in their minge.

58 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

The fella who sweeps my multifuel stove flue is a fireman serving his final year for his pension. I was shocked a few years ago when he told me his pathetic monthly wage. Just under £1500 per month after deductions

That's just under 22K-ish - plenty of people out there slaving away for that kinda money. Plenty of graduates can't find a job paying that much.

Edited by JoeDavola

Just now, JoeDavola said:

That's just under 22K-ish - plenty of people out there slaving away for that kinda money. Plenty of graduates can't find a job paying that much.

Agree. I still think that type of wage is shite though. Certainly wouldn’t motivate me to work full time but I’m older and have a choice now. Younger folk just have to do it to get by.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I agree with the first point but don't see why anyone still expects having a degree to get you a better paying job these days.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with the first point but don't see why anyone still expects having a degree to get you a better paying job these days.

Well quite. They've been sold a lie.

I think what I was getting at is that there's plenty of jobs that require specific experience/skills and work you hard that don't pay much more than 22K.

I know a Civil Engineer and the years of fucking hassle and stressful work (after a 4 year degree that was extremely stressful) he had to go through just to eventually reach 30K was ridiculous.

Edited by JoeDavola

Big sign up advertising for an assistant manager of a large Sainsburys store the other week. Cant remember exact location but was driving between Kent and Berkshire so high cost of living country...Think it was either £27k or £28k from memory. I bet you get so much s**t for that wage as well and barely would allow you to scrape by if you ain't on the housing ladder. Face it. The vast majority of jobs now are abysmally paid. Don't see why prison officer wouldn't be any different. Flooded with cheap labour since 1997 and now bearing fruit.

5 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Big sign up advertising for an assistant manager of a large Sainsburys store the other week. Cant remember exact location but was driving between Kent and Berkshire so high cost of living country...Think it was either £27k or £28k from memory. I bet you get so much s**t for that wage as well and barely would allow you to scrape by if you ain't on the housing ladder. Face it. The vast majority of jobs now are abysmally paid. Don't see why prison officer wouldn't be any different. Flooded with cheap labour since 1997 and now bearing fruit.

Be far better off like my mate - shelf stacker plus tax credits; only does a 4 day week too.

Edited by JoeDavola