DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

Other countries will turn to gas as well.I was leased to see Shell mention natural carbon solutions today,planting forests really.Its going to be a huge area of growth,massive profits.I leave work tomorrow and its an area im going to look much deeper into.

Personally planting and growing my own piece of forest is on the bucket list.

Initially, I don't think it would necessarily generate any kind of financial return, but the spiritual rewards of seeing it grow would be amazing, and a good thing to involve friends & family with, as well as a chance to re-connect with nature. I also wonder if, long term, it might not be a good investment or small business to sell carbon credits based on the forest growth.

I've been very inspired by the work of Dr. Akira Miyawaki, who pioneered the "tiny forest" in Japan. Essentially it's a way of fast-tracking a dense mix of species into a small area, and it mimics natural /native deciduous forest rather than much of the commercial forestry projects, which mainly only plant one kind of tree (monoculture). Deciduous, native forest is much better at processing carbon as well.

Some info here about a project in the UK: https://earthwatch.org.uk/component/k2/tiny-forest

Anyway I recommend reading up on his work, it's fascinating.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hardhat said:

Same here, I want to buy a field at some point, even if it just ends up as a massive garden/camp site/motocross track/horse pasture, a wooded area would be cool.  

Bricks & Mortar
46 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

When the likes of Elon Musk tweets a doge meme, he does it with tongue in cheek, knowing it will cause a pump. In some ways I think he’s taking a underhanded swipe at the financial system in general as well as the SEC.

It's much worse than that.  He was pumping Dogecoin relentlessy over the past few weeks, and the crypto-buying masses were putting their hard-earned (or stimmy checks) into it as the price went up tenfold.  Meanwhile, Sneaky Elon was quietly buying a billion and half worth of bitcoin.

Devious fucker.

4 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

It's much worse than that.  He was pumping Dogecoin relentlessy over the past few weeks, and the crypto-buying masses were putting their hard-earned (or stimmy checks) into it as the price went up tenfold.  Meanwhile, Sneaky Elon was quietly buying a billion and half worth of bitcoin.

Devious fucker.

I'll never understand people (I don't mean you) who expect billionaires to be guileless and nice. 

But then I don't understand why billionaire Gates is suddenly a virus expert either.

Anyone seen the new silver Bitcoin from coininvest?  I can't help but feel they missed a trick by not having an actual Bitcoin key on there too rather than just the value in mBTC.  

Talk about a hardware wallet you can still use if the net/power goes down.

So it would cost more, hasn't stopped people piling into any other assets.

I find it constantly hilarious and disturbing that bitcoin is continually depicted as a gold coin (and even a silver coin in one article I saw today).

Why is there the continual desperation to tie Bitcoin to gold, I wonder ....

20 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Devious fucker.

He wouldn’t have been buying it from the open market (thus doing people over switching to DOGE). That kind of volume buy/sell would send the crypto market haywire. Occasionally (especially in the earlier days) whales would wipe out the entire order book at exchanges, great if you had a buy order you forgotten about for the likes of ETH at a few dollars :)

They know that, so hence the likes of grayscale and exclusive large funds exist, quietly accumulating on the sidelines for large investors, although I suspect this amount in a transaction didn’t actually take place but a contract of some sorts instead. 

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Anyone seen the new silver Bitcoin from coininvest?  I can't help but feel they missed a trick by not having an actual Bitcoin key on there too rather than just the value in mBTC.  

Talk about a hardware wallet you can still use if the net/power goes down.

So it would cost more, hasn't stopped people piling into any other assets.

They did back in the day

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Casascius_physical_bitcoins

2 hours ago, planit said:

Without all the bullshit financial magic they apply to wooden 'biofuels', wood produces about the highest kg of CO2 per kWh of any fuel, it is terrible.

They would be better off cutting the large trees down and burying them down the coal mine from where they got the coal to burn in the power station.

This whole subject pisses me right off. DB is right when he says the oilies like renewables and see the threat as nuclear.

The whole planet could be carbon free by now, France nearly was in the 80's.

:PissedOff::PissedOff:

You’ll like this one. Place where I work, cash for ash biomass boiler. I work in t shirt and shorts, doors wide open. Can’t burn it quick enough.

Democorruptcy
57 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

Initially, I don't think it would necessarily generate any kind of financial return, but the spiritual rewards of seeing it grow would be amazing, and a good thing to involve friends & family with, as well as a chance to re-connect with nature. I also wonder if, long term, it might not be a good investment or small business to sell carbon credits based on the forest growth.

I've been very inspired by the work of Dr. Akira Miyawaki, who pioneered the "tiny forest" in Japan. Essentially it's a way of fast-tracking a dense mix of species into a small area, and it mimics natural /native deciduous forest rather than much of the commercial forestry projects, which mainly only plant one kind of tree (monoculture). Deciduous, native forest is much better at processing carbon as well.

Some info here about a project in the UK: https://earthwatch.org.uk/component/k2/tiny-forest

Anyway I recommend reading up on his work, it's fascinating.

I read up a bit on using a copse for firewood, when I moved to Scotland to buy a house with land. The plan was plant willow and beech. The willow was useable after 3 years then once the beech came through in year 8, you were self sufficient. I didn't buy a property so never tried it.

6 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I read up a bit on using a copse for firewood, when I moved to Scotland to buy a house with land. The plan was plant willow and beech. The willow was useable after 3 years then once the beech came through in year 8, you were self sufficient. I didn't buy a property so never tried it.

I know a farmer who shoved a dead cow in. Runs it hot all year Inc summer. Made 200k of it.

Just now, Cattle Prod said:

After the dotcom boom amd bust, I thought things could ever get so stupid again. I couldn't imagine how things could be more bizarre than a company with no plan, revenue or profit getting venture capital because it had a dot com domain.

I was wrong, my imagination was too limited. People are now throwing money at a picture of a dog on a coin.

About a generation ago.

Bricks & Mortar
34 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

He wouldn’t have been buying it from the open market (thus doing people over switching to DOGE). That kind of volume buy/sell would send the crypto market haywire. Occasionally (especially in the earlier days) whales would wipe out the entire order book at exchanges, great if you had a buy order you forgotten about for the likes of ETH at a few dollars :)

They know that, so hence the likes of grayscale and exclusive large funds exist, quietly accumulating on the sidelines for large investors, although I suspect this amount in a transaction didn’t actually take place but a contract of some sorts instead. 

5 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

After the dotcom boom amd bust, I thought things could ever get so stupid again. I couldn't imagine how things could be more bizarre than a company with no plan, revenue or profit getting venture capital because it had a dot com domain.

I was wrong, my imagination was too limited. People are now throwing money at a picture of a dog on a coin.

I've just come to a deal with my daughter, if she eats some red pepper every day until Sunday then i will buy her £10s worth of Robux. These surely have as much value as any other digital currency.

She's been pestering me for 2 weeks now, so i held out for a while.

25 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Could well be they did it like that, but regardless the doge pump didn’t really effect the bigger crypto market especially in BTC (It was bullish if anything).

All jokes aside, I think crypto discussion  is starting to derail from the original discussion of the thread (although I believe it’s very relevant) some agree and some don’t and I’m aware of that.

I’ve been lucky enough to be here (and HPC) from the beginning, so I’ll leave it to everyone to decide if they want to continue crypto discussion here or just leave it to other threads.

51 minutes ago, Hancock said:

I've just come to a deal with my daughter, if she eats some red pepper every day until Sunday then i will buy her £10s worth of Robux. These surely have as much value as any other digital currency.

She's been pestering me for 2 weeks now, so i held out for a while.

Yup Robux, and it does very well as a virtual currency. I do the same for my daughter.

And why not when some 3rd world currencies are more volatile and open to corruption.

https://www.ft.com/content/177e2a01-4098-4e9b-9792-02711de46dd4

Bobthebuilder
16 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

All jokes aside, I think crypto discussion  is starting to derail from the original discussion of the thread (although I believe it’s very relevant) some agree and some don’t and I’m aware of that.

I’ve been lucky enough to be here (and HPC) from the beginning, so I’ll leave it to everyone to decide if they want to continue crypto discussion here or just leave it to other threads.

I notice some posters sold out Great Panther today. An old thread PM stock and big gains for some went unnoticed. Well done to all who did ok the last few days.

4 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I notice some posters sold out Great Panther today. An old thread PM stock and big gains for some went unnoticed today. Well done to all who did ok the last few days.

Didn’t mean to distract from that, that’s what this thread is all about. That’s why I posted that response to take crypto talk elsewhere.

No underlying reason however, as much as I would like to be the CEO of the ‘Panther’ (works 60% of the time all the time) unfortunately I can only dream. :)

49 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I notice some posters sold out Great Panther today. An old thread PM stock and big gains for some went unnoticed. Well done to all who did ok the last few days.

My rubber band silver miners in my portfolio.Panther is .........?

silver miners.JPG

12 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

My rubber band silver miners in my portfolio.Panther is .........?

silver miners.JPG

Top one?!

I've got a smidge in a goldie DB.  The only one I could afford at the time from a thread recommendation.  Bought the bare minimum at around $4 (on phone so can't check). Thanks again all 🍻 

Edited to add - it's had a great run.

Archived