DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a lovely letter informing me that my savings account rate is dropping again - 2nd or 3rd time this year.

Down to 0.10 from 0.20.

I mean receiving even 4x that would be laughable so i don't care but things must be utter shit behind the scenes if they are still fucking about with 10ths of a percent interest rate changes.

Pathetic.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I have a lovely letter informing me that my savings account rate is dropping again - 2nd or 3rd time this year.

Down to 0.10 from 0.20.

I mean receiving even 4x that would be laughable so i don't care but things must be utter shit behind the scenes if they are still fucking about with 10ths of a percent interest rate changes.

Pathetic.

Christmas parties don't pay for themselves!

must be lloyds or halifax, i just got that, now lets see ;

£0.00 x 0.1% = £0.00.

well, thats me finished with my interest calcs this year, making my premium bonds look like a good investment.

3 hours ago, janch said:

I've just discovered this website with info on which companies are the most shorted and thought it might be useful:

www.shorttracker.co.uk

Thanks, might top up on premier oil now i see they are the most shorted.

Chewing Grass
4 hours ago, Loki said:

Down to 0.10 from 0.20.

Pathetic.

Sad times when leaving £100 in a savings account won't even buy half a Mars bar for the privilege.

5 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Sterling heading towards my $1.39 target:P Wasnt everyone in the MSM saying parity with the $ or $1.10 ?.Should give us a nice entry point into oil etc later.

Well played durhamborn!

Thought this was an interesting article https://monevator.com/tax-efficient-investing-uk-order-isa-sipp/...and got me thinking about  implications when buying S & S.

For those who plan to retire and give the Government nothing in tax you can earn upto £27.5k tax free (£12.5k PA, £2k divis, £12k CGT, £1k savings interest) PLUS anything in an ISA. This then means that you may want to structure your S&S to account for this in the following ways:

1. bias your share purchases more towards growth stocks where you can choose when and how many to sell, thus managing your CGT ceiling.

2. Try to keep all your other share types mentioned in article I.e. bonds, ETF`s, REIT`s in an ISA otherwise any payments above £12.5k pa gets taxed at 20% min.

3. If your ISAs are maxed out with those in 2. above AND you have `spent` your £12.5k annual income tax pa,  move out you dividend paying shares as they are taxed at lower rate I.e 7.5% not 20%.

I may be stating the obvious but never really considered it.

Thoughts/comments?

Alifelessbinary

Most of the platforms are straining under the volumes this morning. The joy of being a retail trader on heavy trading days!

Overall many of the stocks discussed on this tread have performed well and the rising pounds gives us more firepower to buy the oil stocks.

The stability created can on be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Tdog said:

Says it all of who will gain from the free markets Tories.

image.png.32b2741249b6a70bab90f0350b146e66.png

Absolutely.More HTB for those BDEV/PSN/BKG shareholders to gorge on.

Got mullered on some shorts this morning all property related.Stops triggered.

Must say though,pleased with sterling strength for buying more oilies/gold/copper plays.

Worth noting Freeport has been running up last week or two,.

Edit to add:Although to be fair,the short losses more than offset by the uplift in CNA.Every cloud

11 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

Yep, I remember the screeching about parity, and I bought then (sold too soon though). Think I'm beginning to understand markets! Thanks for your comments around that time, helped me hold fast on my FTSE stocks 

I'll never forget that banker lady they got on channel 4 news to tell us sterling was only going lower from $1.23 a few months back.Pretty much nailed the bottom.

11 hours ago, Alifelessbinary said:

See you all tomorrow to discuss the good news.

Morning!  Literally, the storm is over and the sun is out, although a bit blustery so maybe best for me not to put all my sails out!

2 hours ago, CVG said:

I guess that there may be some odd declines based on the reduced value of foreign easrnings.

Yup, I'm reasonably well allocated on UK income shares.  Some work to do still as I'm aiming for 25 in each account and am 2 and 5 short in two managed accounts.  But mostly at 4% in each holding.  Where not, they require a turn like oil or are too high and am waiting a hopeful eventual pullback (renewables).  A bit annoyed I did not react to the Drax, Sainsbury and infrastructure buy signals earlier this year but maybe some pullbacks ahead!

The UK centric earning stocks have done best today but I topped up Unilever which has been going down recently but may be bottoming.  A bit of a technical divergence now appearing.  Not in my 5% yield tartget zone but included for some hopeful stability!  I'll also probably top up some FTSE trackers elsewhere as the UK must be quite attractive internationally (although faces a broad headwind given most other markets).

So I'm pleased to have secured almost enough FTSE holdings and now need to look harder at the international stocks just as the pound will hopefully strengthen.  That said, value is hard to find ATM from my initial look but it's currently the swirling year end so a bit messy.  I think I've seen a bit of a stealth rally in some oil majors though and there may be some other stealth moves underway.  Research, research, research!

3 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

1. bias your share purchases more towards growth stocks where you can choose when and how many to sell, thus managing your CGT ceiling.

Good post, especially as I'm going postal on not paying too much tax this year given the political and other nonsense.   The other way to use the generous CGT allowance versus paying tax on dividends is to go for accumulation funds/ETFs who roll up the dividend income into more stock purchases rather than pay it out.  Problem is most income focused vehicles pay out because income dependent investors want the income on a regular (even monthly) basis.  But a FTSE ETF accumulation tracker version of a distributing one may be yielding say 4% (FTSE100 yield currently 4.40%) so not bad.  Whatever, even £27.5k per person (maybe two of you) would be fine for me!

Archived