DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

Those graphs are astonishing. I've been staring at them for about 15 minutes trying to take it in and consider the implicatons (as well as your second response, thanks for that). One thing is clear - the tapering of QE by the Fed and the raising of rates was exceedingly stupid, they really didn't have a clue where they were. 500 PhDs couldn't comprehend this graph.

So though government debt has been rising, M2 has been rising faster, since 2008. I get that the latest downleg in that ratio is due to recent printing, which your second graph shows to be both QE and fiscal spending. But prior to this year, it was almost all QE. Where is that money now, just sitting in commercial banks because they don't want to lend it out? It's a strange standoff, because they are about to be put in the dustbin of history by the CBs, are they not more afraid of that?!

I've had to look up what 'government current transfer payments' are (here, for my fellow financially challenged: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/transferpayment.asp#:~:text=Transfer payments commonly refer to,common types of transfer payments. ). I can see how these are inflationary, it's intuitive. People get money for nothing, it's out in the real economy chasing goods and services. So most of that green spike on the second graph are the virus paychecks and other unemployment supports, right? Thinking back the chain, they are not getting wages, because their employers are not getting business because people are not spending money. But that unspent money is not dissapeared, it'll all flood out once this thing is (allowed to be) over. On top of all the printed money handed out to keep people going. If my line of thinking is right, those floodgates will be open soon in the US, once the election is settled, I think the coronavirus will go away pretty quickly (the data will show it to be not a significant threat, and the media will allow this narrative out).

Then we have the UK. I wonder what a similar graph in the UK looks like, because we are printing direct to government here who is handing it out in furlough (and to BCG at the rate of £7000 a day per consultant etc etc). And savings are rising, rising, rising. Our idiotic goverment will simply copy what other governments are doing re covid, so once they have cover to say it's over, they will.

My kind of take away from this is that the deflation, sharp shock risk is a curtailment of fiscal spending as you say. And at the first sign of this, they will do a deal in the US. It's not necessary here, they have already printed enough to the real economy to bake it in. So the main risk I see is the US election result getting dragged through court, and no covid relief deal being possible till the new administration sits. This is a real risk, but would be to me a very low risk buying opportunity, as there is no way out of this other than more fiscal spending. And once the election outcome is settled, the post covid opening up (and massive pent up demand by our consumer mad culture and governments on infrastructure) will kick off the reflation cycle in full.

There was a good question upthread about 'is this not the wrong kind of QE'. Do you expect the BOE and the Fed to hand another tranche of cash to spend on infrastructure once the Covid panic is declared over, or do you see a risk they will retrench? I suspect they won't see what they've already created given inflation lags. 500 PhDs couldn't see the obvious before all this. I can see that governments will ask for it "build back better" and all that, but will the CBs comply if the crisis has passed?

Edit:

The other main takeaway is: how big is a trillion. We have become desensitised to it, but a trillion is an absolutely enormous number. People kind of think 'yeah, billion, trillion, whatever, boooring" But you take one look at those graphs and you can see the impact of the 2 or 3 Tn deal they are trying to agree on in the US will have. And how big the $1Tn or so (£850bn) the BOE has handed out is relative to it. Pound is toast. We need dollar/forex earning companies/gold&silver in our portfolios more than ever.

59 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

One thing is clear - the tapering of QE by the Fed and the raising of rates was exceedingly stupid, they really didn't have a clue where they were.

The really fascinating thing for me is that ceasing of creating money from nothing to support asset bubbles and attempting to raise rates to get back to a more normal range is deemed stupid. 

I say it's fascinating because given the amount of and reliance upon debt, it was stupid. But the alternative is to continue on with more debt and lower rates.

So we appear to have a choice between stupid that used to be sensible and more stupid because the stupid has got so stupid that the only thing that can be done is more stupid because sensible has been forced to disappear. Which is stupid.

11 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

a choice between stupid that used to be sensible and more stupid because the stupid has got so stupid that the only thing that can be done is more stupid because sensible has been forced to disappear. Which is stupid.

You are Thomas Sowell and I claim my 5 trillion Zimbabwe bing bongs 

On 31/10/2020 at 22:14, DurhamBorn said:

Here is the next bunch of liquidity.Just another years welfare printed here.More inflation down the lines.£845billion balance sheet now for the BOE.Roughly printed back the deflation now so its all inflationary from here on in.Im shocked how bad this government is though.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/31/bank-england-inject-100bn-fight-second-wave/

Sorry for asking a completely layperson question but is it better to be almost completely out of cash/NS&I premium bonds for the coming inflation/wealth tax targetting cash in your opinion?

18 hours ago, Barnsey said:

We had two offers rejected as I greatly underestimated the pent up demand frenzy which is now most certainly coming to an end here in the West Midlands. One of the offers made was 8% below asking and the agent refused to put it forward as it was "too embarrassing". I sh*t you not. It was for the best looking back now as would have been the wrong choice. The months since have given us time to consider so many other areas I hadn't thought of.

Thankfully I'm seeing quite a bit of inventory sticking recently and very little going sold STC, VERY area specific, some new build prices even coming down a little (very surprised given how they're reluctant to do so for land reg reasons), been the case for about a month now I'd say and worsening.

The lending market really needs to ease up as it's incredibly restrictive at the high LTV/FTB end which is a killer for chains.

Feel for you mate, when the stimulus ends, the bubbles pop, while to go yet though.

For what its worth  I used to live in Kings Norton south Brum and quite liked it, safe area.

I'm looking in London or the surrounding areas.

Was hoping for a 15-20% correction, it's not there at the moment but you can sense the downward pressure on the prices. But I guess furlough will keep the show on the road for a lot of people. You can sense the hope from the government is that in 6 months everything will be OK again and they can remove the supports. 

The narrative of the news kind of hides the fact that for many places in London prices have been pretty stagnant since 2016 and in some cases have fallen. 

I know of people who have bought around 2016 time and the property is worth c.10% less - that's pretty much the entire deposit if they wanted to sell.

HTB in particular I think has been disastrous for anyone that used it after the initial sweet spot (c.2 years), where prices climbed massively. We're getting to the point now where the equity repayments now kick in, and potentially remortgaging as well, which could be at higher rates.

I've got quite a few mates in London properties. One had to be bailed out by BoMaD when selling their flat in Muswell Hill as they were in negative equity, another in Winchmore Hill has lost 20% as they had to sell to relocate, the other has doubled their money in 5 years on a terraced house I wouldn't board a dog in  (Walthamstow).

On 29/10/2020 at 16:50, Cattle Prod said:

Too many moving parts I think, Sancho. Just need to keep watching. I don't think US production will get that low, but 6 or 7 is realistic. The Mexican export drop just means they'll have to play nice with Canada and get the pipelines built, but it just subtracts more from the global supply picture. My current estimate, and dyodd of course, is $80 Brent by end 2021 (as in sometime during 2021 - I think ~$80 Brent will tip us into another crisis, maybe BK).

I had some fun today looking at the ration of XLE, XOP and OIH to the oil price, there will be plenty of time to see it coming. One thing I'm currently watching is if contango starts to come out of WTI.

Here is how discounted OIH is to the oil price (brent is easier because of the WTI spike low), you'll see that trend changing a mile away. They have to start making money again before it does!

image.thumb.png.5c7bd3625a0e9f71260e95c028246d14.png

that discount to OIH,XLE and XOP really is a compelling chart showing how cheap the big players are to the underlying.

Ref US shale,even a drop to 6 or 7 would surely cause a significant dislocation to the treadmill? as per your previous comments/art bermans that ti will take ayear to get it going again.

I've got my head out of my election trading book and am back looking at oil prices and the more we talk,the more this looks like the opportunity of a lifetime.I'm playing catch up with this thread but DINO has another comment further on about chinese coal demand which goes to show that if you;re looking west for the future demand picture you're looking the worng way

On 02/11/2020 at 05:56, DurhamBorn said:

At Fidelity David would of provided a macro road map and the stock pickers would decide what to do with it.He is a cycles guy based on liquidity and is probably one of the best in the world in understanding Fed action and the leads/lags.Short term calls arent his thing,so im surprised he is making them more and more,though its end of cycle stuff so probably trusts the calls more.Iv always found for the ordinary investor its far better to focus on building out a portfolio over time at what you think are cheap or very cheap entry points guided by the likely cycle ahead.

For instance,i think Shell will return £21 minimum up to £30 over the cycle,share increase and dividends.So £9.40 + £21 

BT i think will return £2.40 (so £3.41 a share total price) minimum increase and dividends.

Thats based on an inflation road map.I have a lot of confidence across my portfolio most will hit by 2028/30,i have zero confidence,nor care if they go up or down in the short/short medium term.

I use David for his analysis of long term trends.If you're using him for anything else then it's a bit like playing a striker at centre back at football and then moaning when a few people go past him.He's a macro strategist who's retired and having some fun with his twitter account.

With any calls,you have to get to grips with the underlying logic of the call.His long term calls are well reasoned and he articualtes his case extremely well across all interviews.Short term calls are hard to get right and are inherently more prone to error.

WHat we need to be watching here is liquidity and David's record on calling long term moves and expaining them is super.AS individual investors it's easy to rely on other people's calls but long term it'll harm your returns and maybe put you in a posution where your risk/reward is skewed.

I read everything posted on here by some knowledgeable psoters but at the end of the day we all need to make our own minds up particualry if you're trading short term.

On 02/11/2020 at 18:58, Cattle Prod said:

India oil consumption now at 2020 highs, I think people forget that cheap oil is a stimulus direct to the economy, and that it's a disproportionatly large stimulus im emerging markets as a % of GDP. It's no wonder they are buying it and burning it hand over fist, while stupid governments in Europe subject us to more enforced stagnation. Its f'ing maddening.

There we go......looking West instead of East...

On 04/11/2020 at 19:19, DurhamBorn said:

Its starting ;)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/three-uk-and-vodafone-adopt-inflation-busting-price-hikes.html

CPI+3.9%

The industry will all follow suit and likely none will break ranks.

I've bored on beofre about what good value BT is at the moment and I haven't beena fan of them for years,but canning the divi and then raising prices is a prelude to a good deal from the regulator and future divi's.BT and Vod FCF yield is eye watering at these levels.

Ref CP's oil supply drop,it won't be long before we're seeing significant input price hikes.....

Decl:long BT/Vod and other telecoms.

23 hours ago, Boon said:

Not quite yet, I guess there may be a time when the non-furloughed kick up a fuss and want their slice of the pie. 

Been looking at topping up the oilies today, but with a Biden administration looking likely, would people think the tax implications are bearish? 

Biden has promised to rein in fracking.On the one hand I'll lsoe some cash on my bets if  he wins but our oilies will likely more than compensate.

We'll still get the stimulus and what could be better for oil than stimulus and fracking bans...........?

On 05/11/2020 at 10:44, Cattle Prod said:

This is why the US left the Paris Accords: they are meaningless until Chinese coal use is curtailed. But of course it's all about this:

I think I put a graph up here on Chinese coal use, I'll see if I can find it, but ere is a snip from the BP statistical review of world energy, as a data source independent from that article:

image.png.e50a80a45685802434822dff46b22286.png

image.png.f69effd6cbecce15252a2aaf79a08419.png

China (in 2019) was 81.67 exajoules of energy of a world total of 157.86. In other words, China consumes ~52% of the world's coal, within its own borders that is, and will continue building it out for the next ten years or so. In the meantime we pay virtue signalling taxes on cleaner forms of energy.

You can also see they have a lot further to go as a world % in terms of Natural Gas, Oil and Nuclear.

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/business-sites/en/global/corporate/pdfs/energy-economics/statistical-review/bp-stats-review-2020-full-report.pdf

Edit:

Corrected for 2019 figures.

DINO had o I rneemembered but it's not CHina it's world usage but I suspect the bulk of the increase or holding up is CHina

On 22/10/2020 at 13:16, DoINeedOne said:

Another interesting site if you like animated data https://ourworldindata.org

1530014051_Screenshot2020-10-22at13_21_39.thumb.png.383f369553b899e44a99a95f971ff1cf.png

On 05/11/2020 at 11:42, Cattle Prod said:

Brent hit 35.67 on Monday before bouncing hard, despite physical oil traders saying at the weekend (in response to lockdown demand fear questions) that there will be no price crash next week as inventories are being drawn down. Inventories are what physical oil is priced off. If traders think it'll be harder to get, they will pay more, and not if not. It's a pretty efficient market. It's up 15% since then, and if that holds till the weekend, I'll take that as my $35 Brent target.

Vitol reckons worldwide stocks are being drawn down by about 2m a day, but as they are in buying mode (not having floating storage to sell), I'd say that is conservative. There are some signals that October stocks drew down by much more golbally, but I'd need to see the same signal in November.

Take a pre-covid oil consumption level of 98 (BP data, oil only), and OPEC currently has 5.6mbpd off the market (they had a 'cut' of 2.1mbpd in 2019, 7.7mbpd now), 2mbpd draws implies a current consumption level of 94.4mbpd. Using a 101mbpd baseline (BP data inc other liquids), current consumption is 97.4mpd, in line with the IEA figures. So in terms of a cap on price, OPEC is really only holding 3.6mpd (7.7 minus 2.1 minus 2) off the market, and shrinking. And as I said, the 2mbpd Vitol mentioned is probably lowballing. This is what is putting a base under price (and oil equities being discounted to it is not rational, I suspect they will just take a while to catch up like all equity markets).

So what happens next? Well, US inventories have just gone below 2016 levels, when price was $51. Given the overhang of OPEC supply, current price is not an unreasonable discount. I think inventories will be drawn down harder than 2016, and as I said there are some signals that this is happening now. Everything I see points to inventories globally going to the 5yr average by the end of the year.

I've previously said that Art Bermans predictions for US production loss were too extreme, and I thought that 7-8mbpd was more reasonable @sancho panza. He was putting more of this out recently, so I and another geo challenged him on it, and he has since revised his prediction upwards. His assumptions are too vague, and I am now more sceptical about what he is putting out. It's already pretty inconsistent. Anwyay, I'll now say that I think they'll decline to the 8.5-9.5 region, and I have pretty high confidence in that. If the wells they are currrently drilling and completing are of lower quality, that number might undershoot, but I have no way of knowing that. 

The important bit is that that is coming off a pre-Covid production high of c. 13.8mbpd. So there is a fairly solid 5mbpd loss baked in from the US, which is still the largest natural (and very very difficult to reverse) supply drop in history. There will also be losses from Canada and other non-opec suppliers. In summary, the idea that if demand normalises there is a coming supply gap still stands, and is becoming visible in US production as expected, and also visible in Asian demand up at pre Covid levels. If OPEC extends their cuts at the end of the month, it can only be to keep the US quiet, and bake in $80 a barrel to rescue their economies IMO. There is a fair chance of world inventories undershooting significantly to the downside.

Also on demand, I heard on LBC this morning that the roads around and in London are choc a block. I checked the TomTom data, and it's true. If the people England are ignoring lockdown restrictions, there is hope for the country yet! And is also an interesting view on the demand story.

I'll return to this tongith as I've child care duties inbound.

Is there any chance that OPEC is waiting for US inventories to draw down before applying another cut?That would make a lot of sense if that US shale drop even by 5 mn bpd ina 100mn bpd world comes through.

This is looking like it's going to be an epic short squueeze on punters who thought prices woud stay low forever.

I can't believe Western govts aren't seroiously worreid about fuel supplies down the line.

Too busy putting fences up around student halls I suppose

On 05/11/2020 at 13:14, Boon said:

Seems to me to be a half-hearted lockdown.

Shops are closed, but McDonalds/KFC are still open? 

they're essential for some people

Looking through the crazy Halifax hpi % today, Oct price growth tailed off quite significantly to just 0.3%. Chimes very much with the lack of activity I've seen in recent weeks.

I simply cannot see the market accelerating again until Spring. Even if they announce an extension of the stamp duty holiday, all that'll do is cause even more sales to fall through now as folks will decide to wait to see what happens. It's the panic of not making the cut off date (due to the largest backlogs ever seen in housing market history) that has driven recent transactions, mainly at the higher end of course.

On 05/11/2020 at 13:24, Democorruptcy said:

It's just an excuse to get more money out there.

In the debate the other day Sir Keir Rammer was suggesting ending the lockdown on Dec 2nd might be too early and it needed extending. Boris replied there would be no need because the R rate is barely over 1 already.

TheR.jpg

The only way I could sonsider voting for that nincompoop Bozza is by lsitneing to this twat for two minutes.I won't be voting at this rate.

On 05/11/2020 at 13:38, kibuc said:

Two quick takes on the go:

Great Panther reports spectatular 3Q financials, not only posting record revenues, record cash flow, record literaly everything, but also coming up with massively reduced AISC, $200/oz lower than ytd average anf the same amount down yoy. Fantastic numbers. 

First Majestic with record earnings and cash flow too, obviously, but what's impressive is that they delivered it against average sale price of $22.5 per punce of silver. Average spot fpr the quarter was $24.5/oz. Haven't read the full report yet so dunno why they sold their silver so cheaply, but early there's a lof of upside of they star achieving spot prices. 

iirc Great panther is one you hold.good call,I always thought it was a turd lol,goes to shwo what I know.

On 05/11/2020 at 14:09, Cattle Prod said:

I think the R rate is based on false positives. Pandemic was over in June, I can only hope Captain Hindsight will eventually ride to the rescue and it will be shown to be so.

False positive rate is 80% or so os if 1.2% positives in tests , and false postive rate is 1% then 80% of psotives are false according to carl heneghan.

Dr Mike Yeadon explaining why PCR tesing is flawed and why lockdowns don't work and that pandemic peaked in june.If you weren't such a knowledgeable geologist then I'd be claiming my fiver

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2020/11/04/

19 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

DINO had o I rneemembered but it's not CHina it's world usage but I suspect the bulk of the increase or holding up is CHina

1230624008_Screenshot2020-11-06at14_45_19.thumb.png.8059eb75a7d4d0b473afaf52a288660b.png

Democorruptcy
27 minutes ago, Barnsey said:

Looking through the crazy Halifax hpi % today, Oct price growth tailed off quite significantly to just 0.3%. Chimes very much with the lack of activity I've seen in recent weeks.

I simply cannot see the market accelerating again until Spring. Even if they announce an extension of the stamp duty holiday, all that'll do is cause even more sales to fall through now as folks will decide to wait to see what happens. It's the panic of not making the cut off date (due to the largest backlogs ever seen in housing market history) that has driven recent transactions, mainly at the higher end of course.

Time to extend furlough until March and get more money out there via taxpayer backed loans. I expect renters will be "helped" next with a governbankment scheme for payments to landlords, like in Wales.

I keep thinking they have gone 'all in' then they go 'all in' again! I suppose it's because they keep magicking money up from under the poker table.

On 05/11/2020 at 13:10, AWW said:

"Working from home" is quite the misnomer. Might be alright if you've got a massive pad with an office, but for most people it means laptop on the couch while trying to get a minutes peace from the kids!

My wife does it quite nicely in our 2 bed. No kids mind, I’m working class so can’t afford them.

Democorruptcy
4 minutes ago, Shamone said:

My wife does it quite nicely in our 2 bed. No kids mind, I’m working class so can’t afford them.

You have got that all wrong. You should be popping out 1 a year and raking in the bennies.

5 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

Those graphs are astonishing. I've been staring at them for about 15 minutes trying to take it in and consider the implicatons (as well as your second response, thanks for that). One thing is clear - the tapering of QE by the Fed and the raising of rates was exceedingly stupid, they really didn't have a clue where they were. 500 PhDs couldn't comprehend this graph.

So though government debt has been rising, M2 has been rising faster, since 2008. I get that the latest downleg in that ratio is due to recent printing, which your second graph shows to be both QE and fiscal spending. But prior to this year, it was almost all QE. Where is that money now, just sitting in commercial banks because they don't want to lend it out? It's a strange standoff, because they are about to be put in the dustbin of history by the CBs, are they not more afraid of that?!

I've had to look up what 'government current transfer payments' are (here, for my fellow financially challenged: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/transferpayment.asp#:~:text=Transfer payments commonly refer to,common types of transfer payments. ). I can see how these are inflationary, it's intuitive. People get money for nothing, it's out in the real economy chasing goods and services. So most of that green spike on the second graph are the virus paychecks and other unemployment supports, right? Thinking back the chain, they are not getting wages, because their employers are not getting business because people are not spending money. But that unspent money is not dissapeared, it'll all flood out once this thing is (allowed to be) over. On top of all the printed money handed out to keep people going. If my line of thinking is right, those floodgates will be open soon in the US, once the election is settled, I think the coronavirus will go away pretty quickly (the data will show it to be not a significant threat, and the media will allow this narrative out).

Then we have the UK. I wonder what a similar graph in the UK looks like, because we are printing direct to government here who is handing it out in furlough (and to BCG at the rate of £7000 a day per consultant etc etc). And savings are rising, rising, rising. Our idiotic goverment will simply copy what other governments are doing re covid, so once they have cover to say it's over, they will.

My kind of take away from this is that the deflation, sharp shock risk is a curtailment of fiscal spending as you say. And at the first sign of this, they will do a deal in the US. It's not necessary here, they have already printed enough to the real economy to bake it in. So the main risk I see is the US election result getting dragged through court, and no covid relief deal being possible till the new administration sits. This is a real risk, but would be to me a very low risk buying opportunity, as there is no way out of this other than more fiscal spending. And once the election outcome is settled, the post covid opening up (and massive pent up demand by our consumer mad culture and governments on infrastructure) will kick off the reflation cycle in full.

There was a good question upthread about 'is this not the wrong kind of QE'. Do you expect the BOE and the Fed to hand another tranche of cash to spend on infrastructure once the Covid panic is declared over, or do you see a risk they will retrench? I suspect they won't see what they've already created given inflation lags. 500 PhDs couldn't see the obvious before all this. I can see that governments will ask for it "build back better" and all that, but will the CBs comply if the crisis has passed?

Edit:

The other main takeaway is: how big is a trillion. We have become desensitised to it, but a trillion is an absolutely enormous number. People kind of think 'yeah, billion, trillion, whatever, boooring" But you take one look at those graphs and you can see the impact of the 2 or 3 Tn deal they are trying to agree on in the US will have. And how big the $1Tn or so (£850bn) the BOE has handed out is relative to it. Pound is toast. We need dollar/forex earning companies/gold&silver in our portfolios more than ever.

@Cattle Prod welcome to hard core macro strategy.Its critical, the interaction between the amount of debt and M2 because what really counts is the amount of money and the DEMANDS on it.When M2 increases faster than debt then there is LESS demand on the money and that means there is MORE that can be spent.The QE in 08 was actually going into a hole already spent because it was for debt defaulted on,the demand was backward looking,not forward.Like you say all this liquidity is building in the pipes and will explode across the economy at some point.Its crucial people own assets that earn outside of sterling and ones that can leverage the inflation.

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

False positive rate is 80% or so os if 1.2% positives in tests , and false postive rate is 1% then 80% of psotives are false according to carl heneghan.

Dr Mike Yeadon explaining why PCR tesing is flawed and why lockdowns don't work and that pandemic peaked in june.If you weren't such a knowledgeable geologist then I'd be claiming my fiver

https://lockdownsceptics.org/2020/11/04/

Yes, allowing science to 'run' government policy is madness, its just another wishful form of dogma/belief (i'm not anti-science btw). However, i think there is more to this particular covid caper. Boris and his cabinet are arguing furiously behind the scenes (there is no political consensus), and its mostly im sure more about how to make best use of this hyped-up 'covid crises'.   

..btw, when it comes to other policies, its the same mental mantra coming from environmentalism in general, and climate science in particular. I think its why many people are becoming more and more sceptical of science (and dare i say it, the 'experts').

Its tragic really, and unfortunately this cynicism also manifests in a diminishing respect toward our institutions... Over promising and under-delivering?... Slowly, then all at once, the repeated lies and their awful after effects are everywhere to see, whether it be in the exagerated tech promises, science, social policies, education, the economy... of course we are well attuned to these thoughts here on this forum, but i don't mind admitting that the closer the reality gets, the more scary it becomes... bit like inhabiting your own SF novel.      

On long term money supply this shows the affect and leads and lags on inflation

https://www.longtermtrends.net/m2-money-supply-vs-inflation/

Usually inflation lags the money supply growth.Notice the two jumps in the 70s.

Notice too how over the long term increases in the money supply set inflation higher,and then money supply falls.They usually meet in the middle area.That is one reason why i think 10% inflation or higher could happen this cycle.

Notice also M2 and inflation tend to stay quite steady until M2 jumps quickly.Thats because instead of a greater demand on money,there suddenly becomes much more money and so a greater demand for products and services jolting prices.

Now notice the velocity of the money stock.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2V

So we have a massive increase in money,and a long cycle collapse in the velocity of that money.

The question is what would make that velocity increase and breach the dam?.Inflation heading higher in a big sector most likely.

Energy or food will start the increases i think.

15 hours ago, JMD said:

Yes, allowing science to 'run' government policy is madness, its just another wishful form of dogma/belief

But the post-modernist fascist woke brigade calling for lockdowns, more control, etc don't believe in science and facts!  Go figure!

34 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

And still BT and Vodafone languish near decade lows. Are institutional investors completely thick or something?!

I get the impression that mobile and broadband bills are very low particularly if shopping around for various discounts/cashbacks. 

Competitive market is great for me as a customer but how will any of them make money if they just discount against each other all the time? 

Archived