• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

Best place to buy frozen berrys

Ok I shop at Aldi or Lidl they might sell them but no doubt the choice is limited I'm after blackberrys strawberrys blueberrys raspberrys inthe main not fussed if there's other stuff in with them where have you found the best value will get a few kilo if it's somewhere I don't shop i.e. Iceland/farm foods etc

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Ok I shop at Aldi or Lidl they might sell them but no doubt the choice is limited I'm after blackberrys strawberrys blueberrys raspberrys inthe main not fussed if there's other stuff in with them where have you found the best value will get a few kilo if it's somewhere I don't shop i.e. Iceland/farm foods etc

these seem pretty cheap

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/295653714

Buy frozen?  BUY FROZEN?

o.O

get yourself our now and get those brambles pick.  Take them home, rinse, leave to drain.  Then spread on a tray and pop in freezer.  When frozen, pour into a bag and seal.  They are then like peas and you can take out as many as you like. 

Pin early summer do the same for bilberries. 

Freeze in season fruit when cheap. 

Frozen berries ffs. 9_9

It does seem a bit silly buying frozen berries from abroad when right now is the time to be picking them, don't you have a footpath near you with loads of hedgerows. Blueberries and strawberries might be more difficult to find this "late" in the year, unless you live in the SE.

Blackberries etc are abundant right now, everywhere.

30 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Aldi. 

Separate strawberries, blueberries. etc

Berry mixes - two types.

Other frozen fruits too.

Not always in stock though and maybe varies by store - but all that's standard Aldi MO.

55 minutes ago, One percent said:

Buy frozen?  BUY FROZEN?

o.O

get yourself our now and get those brambles pick.  Take them home, rinse, leave to drain.  Then spread on a tray and pop in freezer.  When frozen, pour into a bag and seal.  They are then like peas and you can take out as many as you like. 

Frozen berries ffs. 9_9

You can meet some dodgy people while blackberrying though, ask TMT.

3 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

I mostly buy frozen fruit and veg nowadays,there is far less waste as I find that quite often fresh supermarket berries spoil very quickly.

I buy tinned fruit due to less waste and convenience. I also prefer imported fruit like pineapple because I'm not supporting subsidy junky UK farmers....

My son buys frozen packs of mixed berries from Aldi for smoothies. Occasionally I’ve made a fruit crumble from them and it’s fine but wouldn’t contemplate eating them after defrosting. 

I don’t eat much fruit other than the few gooseberries, rhubarb, plums and apples from my garden. More a vegetable eater due to wanting to avoid sugar as much as possible.

6 hours ago, One percent said:

Buy frozen?  BUY FROZEN?

o.O

Frozen berries ffs. 9_9

How big is your freezer? Would be doing about 20 blackberries a time in mine!

1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

My son buys frozen packs of mixed berries from Aldi for smoothies. Occasionally I’ve made a fruit crumble from them and it’s fine but wouldn’t contemplate eating them after defrosting. 

I don’t eat much fruit other than the few gooseberries, rhubarb, plums and apples from my garden. More a vegetable eater due to wanting to avoid sugar as much as possible.

I buy them and put them in rice pudding before microwaving. Gives a nice kick to it.

Morrisons do a kilo for £3 according to their website. Frozen berries are great - chuck 200g of frozen berries in a small food processor with 100g of water for instant sorbet. Sainsbury's frozen strawberries and blueberries is my favourite for it. You can also substitute cream, yoghurt or coconut milk for the water to make something more like ice cream.