• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

OurDayWillCome

Facebook friend suggestions

As much as I hate Facebook I have family and friends all over the globe so it's handy for staying in contact.

When it comes to 'friend suggestions' how are Facebook coming up with people to connect with? They say they don't use location services - mine is always switched off. If I turn on mobile data (only occasionally) suddenly all the Mom's on the school-run appear on the list - even those with no mutual friends. I can only assume that I will also appear on their lists (probably think I'm a predatory male stalker!) Facebook must rely on people not discussing such things (like fellow employees rarely compare wages) to get away with increasing their web of interconnected people.

10 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

They use location based analysis. Try turning it off on your phone and see how different it is. They also use IP address matching, on private ie home networks only apparently...

I always switch off location services - the surge in school-run moms appearing seems to be when I switch mobile data on. The alternative is because I am an irresistible sex god and they are all stalking me 😂

Edited by OurDayWillCome

7 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Would the IP matching have resulted in my new neighbour popping up on the list within a week of them moving in? I don't have an issue with Facebook using mutual friend lists but location tracking is ridiculous.

One of the reasons I binned it. All of my customers were coming up on the 'people you might know' list. I didn't know what the hell was going on. It took me ages to work out that it was matching my location to theirs every time I was round there. 

That's a bit too Orwellian for me thanks. Cheerio.

It's advertising is also creepily accurate. I'm not convinced of this myself, but a few of my mates are almost positive it's listening in somehow.

I booked on facebook with a false name but my correct address.
In next to no time, people I know popped up in the 'People you ight know box'
Must have trawled my email list.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

One of the reasons I binned it. All of my customers were coming up on the 'people you might know' list. I didn't know what the hell was going on. It took me ages to work out that it was matching my location to theirs every time I was round there. 

That's a bit too Orwellian for me thanks. Cheerio.

It's advertising is also creepily accurate. I'm not convinced of this myself, but a few of my mates are almost positive it's listening in somehow.

We are probably more conscious of intrusion than most folk but I'm amazed how little media discussion there is on how they track people. I remember back in the 90's some marketeers talking about how fantastic facial recognition could be for targeting advertising to specific customers as they walk down the high street. Now that so many people are online they don't need the facial recognition.

1 minute ago, Byron said:

These search engines are clever, and who knows where the information ends up!

13 minutes ago, Byron said:

Was it using the same connection as someone else uses eg are you sharing wifi with partner or kids who use it? that's the usual m.o.

If you want to be freaked out try this... https://amiunique.org/

10 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Was it using the same connection as someone else uses eg are you sharing wifi with partner or kids who use it? that's the usual m.o.

No, just a stand alone non wifi computer.

Edited by Byron

7 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

We are probably more conscious of intrusion than most folk but I'm amazed how little media discussion there is on how they track people. I remember back in the 90's some marketeers talking about how fantastic facial recognition could be for targeting advertising to specific customers as they walk down the high street. Now that so many people are online they don't need the facial recognition.

I would be getting ads for "ear realignment" in no time.

22 minutes ago, eight said:

I would be getting ads for "ear realignment" in no time.

If they could access the forum topics Tena men adverts would be popping up on electronic advertising boards as we walked down the high street.

Went into WHSmiths yesterday looking for a book for one of my kids. Wasn't sure if we had the correct one so Mr B took a pic and text it to him. Last night an advert for the book came up on his Facebook page. 

He didn't search for the book on his phone, just took a picture. He doesn't have the Facebook app on his phone. Any ideas? 

3 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Went into WHSmiths yesterday looking for a book for one of my kids. Wasn't sure if we had the correct one so Mr B took a pic and text it to him. Last night an advert for the book came up on his Facebook page. 

He didn't search for the book on his phone, just took a picture. He doesn't have the Facebook app on his phone. Any ideas? 

I would suspect that google has tapped into the message via gmail or an app and used ocr on the image.

8 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

The stuff that knows what you are looking for is in theory a good idea right up unto the point when you buy the item.

After that's it's wasting companies money so I'm not that bothered. It's also a tw&t if you have been shopping for presents for someone who can see your screen.

1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

Did you pay by card and/or use a WHSmiths loyalty card?

19 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Did you pay by card and/or use a WHSmiths loyalty card?

No, we didn't end up buying it because it wasn't the correct one. Besides I had a purse full of £1 coins I was trying to get rid of so planned on paying cash.

11 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Great find, I take my privacy seriously and was wondering how easy it is to track someone via their user agent. Just installed https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/random-user-agent/ if anyones interested, randomizes your user agent for each website you visit.

Regarding facebook, i'm pretty sure if you install their app then it captures all your phone numbers in the contacts.

1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

No, we didn't end up buying it because it wasn't the correct one. Besides I had a purse full of £1 coins I was trying to get rid of so planned on paying cash.

Did you previously do a search for the book online?

Edited by gibbon