• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Hurricane - Dorian

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Which was the one that got New Orleans?  

Not that one, I wasn't in insurance by that point so had stopped getting a load of work when these things happened!

I think Andrew was 90A, the great storm was 87J.

Had to look it up but knew it when I did - Katrina, 2005.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Not that one, I wasn't in insurance by that point so had stopped getting a load of work when these things happened!

I think Andrew was 90A, the great storm was 87J.

Had to look it up but knew it when I did - Katrina, 2005.

Ah, yes, remember the name now. 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ah, yes, remember the name now. 

I went to New Orleans once, but I didn't see a hurricane, except for the pink cocktail of the same name.

Super tides sounds sexy.

Have to give it to Trump again. A few days ago he cancels trips so he can stay in the White House and monitor what is needed. That is what we used to call leadership.

Yeah, I know some will say it is electioneering. Just don't think he would have sat in front of a class room looking like a dummy on 911.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I went to New Orleans once, but I didn't see a hurricane, except for the pink cocktail of the same name.

I've been to New Orleans twice and haven't seen a hurricane either, which is odd as I've had twice as many chances as you.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

10 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I've been to New Orleans twice and haven't seen a hurricane either, which is odd as I've had twice as many chances as you.

where as I've never been to New Orleans and been chased home by two hurricanes.

6 minutes ago, NTB said:

I believe one of them was a Spitfire Fritz. B|

the last one was actually Denis iirc, we flew out of Havana the day before it hit, then landed at Heathrow 7/7 2005

it was our honeymoon, thankfully the rest of our marriage has been a bit less dramatic.

Edited by snaga

Don’t most hurricanes approaching Florida from that direction end up turning north and cruising up the East coast a couple of hundred km offshore, just making everything a bit wet and windy? Pretty sure that’s the case, it’s the ones that carry straight on and make landfall that do the serious damage.

Must feel unpleasant if you live there on the potential path though, never knowing if it’s going to be weather apocalypse or just a bit wet. 

Just now, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Don’t most hurricanes approaching Florida from that direction end up turning north and cruising up the East coast a couple of hundred km offshore, just making everything a bit wet and windy? Pretty sure that’s the case, it’s the ones that carry straight on and make landfall that do the serious damage.

Must feel unpleasant if you live there on the potential path though, never knowing if it’s going to be weather apocalypse or just a bit wet. 

The forecast track in the recent tweet TMT posted has it making landfall and then pushing north through the middle of Florida so hitting a lot of areas unused to hurricanes.

The standard track is just as you say.

14 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I've only been once and was racing back to Nashville ahead of a Tornado warning. I'm starting to think these NOLA hurricanes are a myth (although a friend from Baton Rouge moved back to the UK after his business got flooded (no insurance as prohibitively expensive) once too often)