• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Bus Stop Boxer

Land Rover Freelander

Thinking of getting one the late model Freelanders. I like the "dynamic" variant as it still has a reasonable contemporary presence with the bodykit and looks like a jolly nice drive.

I dont mind a bot of roll, i'm after comfort.

I'm aware of all the diff / axle nightmares on the earlier FL2 models. So will be buying a 13/14 registered model. The 190hp auto looks good.

Anybody had one? They seem to be the least troublesome of the LR stable.

Just now, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Thinking of getting one the late model Freelanders. I like the "dynamic" variant as it still has a reasonable contemporary presence with the bodykit and looks like a jolly nice drive.

I'm aware of all the diff / axle nightmares on the earlier FL2 models. So will be buying a 13/14 registered model. The 190hp auto looks good.

So, how is life in Essex going?  o.O

Ditto, I'm looking for some extra towing capacity mainly, plus doing my bit for something tat is at least in part still British.

Everything I've read suggests that it is one of if not the most reliable of current lineup, service history seems mandatory for a chance of a good s/h purchase - you can look it up on the LR site if you put the VIN in. 

I'll be looking older but FSH and trying my luck a bit for the right price, just started looking so lot more to read before dipping toe in.

Have to be really careful with tyres, putting on mismatched tyres is a definite no.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23109.html

I've been a Technical advisor for a pretty notable French Tyre company and the general rule is as follows. 
Under normal circumstances its acceptable to fit different brand/pattern on a vehcile as long as they are on the same axle. It's also advisable to fit the tyre patern which are newest on the rear axles for safety. 
In the case of the Freelander being a AWD design this above is not advisable! 
There can be up to 10% difference in rolling circumference between brands of types of the same size, ie 235/55 R19 Michelin could be 10% larger against a 235/55/ R19 Bridgestone for example. 
This will cause a differencial between front and rear axles. 
I would only fit same Brand tyres to both front and rear axles.

16 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

That was all that I was going to pitch in.  Though IIRC if all you want is cheap and cheerful then you don't bother fixing it and just have it as 2wd.

A colleague owned a later one. It looked smart and he liked it.

Cheers for input. The later 13/14 models seem quite swish and the Dynamic model, to me is preferable to the HSE as it still looks contemporary (just about) with the body kit etc.

I fancy a nice relaxing chariot, and it could be a bit of a sleeper given LRs reliability rep in other models. Few people remarking that it inspires calm behind the wheel. I like the sound of that.

Less to go wrong on them but still convey you in a refined manner. Still quite dear to fix when they do fuck up though it would seem. Not worried overly, about mpg.

On 01/09/2019 at 21:17, onlyme said:

Ditto, I'm looking for some extra towing capacity mainly, plus doing my bit for something tat is at least in part still British.

Everything I've read suggests that it is one of if not the most reliable of current lineup, service history seems mandatory for a chance of a good s/h purchase - you can look it up on the LR site if you put the VIN in. 

I'll be looking older but FSH and trying my luck a bit for the right price, just started looking so lot more to read before dipping toe in.

Have to be really careful with tyres, putting on mismatched tyres is a definite no.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23109.html

I've been a Technical advisor for a pretty notable French Tyre company and the general rule is as follows. 
Under normal circumstances its acceptable to fit different brand/pattern on a vehcile as long as they are on the same axle. It's also advisable to fit the tyre patern which are newest on the rear axles for safety. 
In the case of the Freelander being a AWD design this above is not advisable! 
There can be up to 10% difference in rolling circumference between brands of types of the same size, ie 235/55 R19 Michelin could be 10% larger against a 235/55/ R19 Bridgestone for example. 
This will cause a differencial between front and rear axles. 
I would only fit same Brand tyres to both front and rear axles.

How much extra. Crap for towing anything weighty as it's not up to it, they are basically a car - I see a lot of people buying them who think they can tow a horsebox with them on the basis "it's a Landrover innit"

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

How much extra. Crap for towing anything weighty as it's not up to it, they are basically a car - I see a lot of people buying them who think they can tow a horsebox with them on the basis "it's a Landrover innit"

190hp and 4WD not enough? Its odd cos i think they come with a tow bar fitted as standard.

Genuine question. Though I wouldnt be needing one for towing.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Not much 2000kg tow limit will be fine (looking to tow loads approx 1500kg), it is a compromise, don't need the 3,500kg rating of a discovery sized vehicle or the fuel consumption and insurance to match. Has a pretty generous nose weight limit of 150kg, lots more leeway with load balancing compared to most cars on that basis alone.

7 minutes ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

190hp and 4WD not enough? Its odd cos i think they come with a tow bar fitted as standard.

Genuine question. Though I wouldnt be needing one for towing.

They'll pull, it's more what they will stop.

7 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

They'll pull, it's more what they will stop.

All round really that needs matching, you don't want to be pulling max rating (85% is probably sound), the load needs proper balancing for nose weight, which is easy to get wrong. The trailer brakes themselves should be doing most of the work but infrequent use can cause issues there. Tobe honest I wouldn't;t wan't to e towing 3,500kg with a disco with a weight itself of around 2500kg? 

4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

All round really that needs matching, you don't want to be pulling max rating (85% is probably sound), the load needs proper balancing for nose weight, which is easy to get wrong. The trailer brakes themselves should be doing most of the work but infrequent use can cause issues there. Tobe honest I wouldn't;t wan't to e towing 3,500kg with a disco with a weight itself of around 2500kg? 

Ahh, a braked trailer, there's a thing....

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

Aye Landrovers for MEN.

Naye fucking cupholders, or online bingo dashboards.

Series is okay, but you really need a stage 1 for the V8 to be a real man...

23 hours ago, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Ive gone off the idea.

Mainly cos they're diesel and there will be almost no resale in a few years.

Diesels are going nowhere the outcry from government is/was all about lost road tax revenue when they pushed diesel and banded road tax via Co limits/numbers they never envisaged the manufactures would produce relatively powerful cars  that fell in the £30 year tax bracket

The above problem was rectified in the governments favour by the government in 2018 by taxing them at the point of purchase when new, then a flat rate from there on in  hence the "diesel is bad " meme has drooped out of the news since ,the fact that cars in the £10 road tax bracket are now only in that bracket for one year from new(2018>) and after that they pay the same £140 pa as an X5  tells you all you need to know

There has to be a bogeyman

Edited by Long time lurking

On 07/12/2019 at 23:11, Bus Stop Boxer said:

Ive gone off the idea.

Mainly cos they're diesel and there will be almost no resale in a few years.

Car tax doing the same to some petrols as well. Mother's old subaru tax renewal arrived and is something like £360, which I suspect is around half the value of the car. The car is in superb condition and runs and drives flawlessly and should have many more years use in it but wouldn't be surprised if it ends up going for scrap when she is done with it.