DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Something for the weekend

dgul

I've got one particularly speculative trade on at the moment -- sports direct.

SPD have been doing a share buyback over the last month, and the size of it is ginormous -- they've been about 1/3rd of the market since they started it (late July).  The buyback stops Friday.  Anyway, I've just started a short on it.

There is a gotcha with this trade, in that i think there's a big chance that MA will announce a takeover (taking it private) at some point soon.  Now, I think this is all part of the strategy -- buy back, support the market, stop the support, watch prices crash, take private*.  So, I'd suggest there's a need for a proper stop-loss (insured)

[* I'd note that this would be illegal, but MA is MA].

Also, there's every chance that they'll announce something crazy, like extending the buyback (that would be crazy, but so is the share buyback in the first place -- it is MA after all).

[I'd also note that the buyback stops Friday -- but I have a feeling that it'll be a rumour/news thing -- we'll see]

Anyway, I've no idea what'll happen, but as of this morning it is on.  Hope I don't get too burned...

Archived