• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

student housing environmental catastrophe

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well colour me suprised. 

My betting is that they will be leased to the council/home office for the housing of bennie seekers. 

Trough, trough. Trebles all round. 

Mr Adams fears PBSAs will have a limited lifespan and does not believe they have been designed for alternative use.

PBSAs are classed as sui generis, meaning they are treated differently from other types of accommodation and standards for light, space and outside areas are often lower.

I rented one of these student flatlets in London when I was working there. It was great. There were not enough students. Most people staying there were working. It was a converted office block, and well managed.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Mr Adams fears PBSAs will have a limited lifespan and does not believe they have been designed for alternative use.

PBSAs are classed as sui generis, meaning they are treated differently from other types of accommodation and standards for light, space and outside areas are often lower.

Oh, what he means is that they are ok for students but not anymore else. 

Bet they are paying top dollar for them too. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Oh, what he means is that they are ok for students but not anymore else. 

Bet they are paying top dollar for them too. 

Most the students paying top whack for 'managed units' are johnny foreigners anyway...or at least they were when I was at uni 15 years back. Chinese are probably used to living in little cells. Most British students still preferred the 'young ones' er, 'ideal' of living, 5 or 6 of you and your best mates in a proper house with a little private garden for BBQs and so forth. 

As is usual with housing, it is all about money.  

They could fill all the rooms easily.  All they have to do is reduce the rent until it starts being attractive compared with the city's HMOs.  They don't want to do this, for the usual reason -- it is definitely worth £x and they're not going to start giving it away.