• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Find old TV series

I want to watch this:

Take Me Home
BBC mini-series, 1989

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157244/

You can find it on iPlayer, but the episodes aren't available. It's on YouTube but has been blocked on copyright grounds.

And yet, you can't buy it. A couple of people are offering knocked-off DVDs of it for around £10 - off-air VHS material written to DVD.

I'm prepared to pay to watch it and I can't.

Don't do P2P, though it doesn't strike me as the sort of thing you'd easily track down.

Any ideas..

There was a really good mini series thing back in the 90s, think it was called "Starlings", about a handsome young Northern man on the make who starts a relationship with a posh bird and uses the connection to get a job in the City, a sort of role-reversed "My Fair Lady".

I guess Spygirl missed it, or he wouldn't be posting on here now! :D

Not quite the same, but:

The scene from 3 Non-Blondes where they are discussing Deal Or No Deal, and how sexy Noel Edmonds is.

Also, the scene from Goodness Gracious Me where they are attacked during a picnic by a single bee.

I really enjoyed both of those...

Back on topic, I'll take a look on P2P later for you @DTMark.

Edited by Inoperational Bumblebee

7 hours ago, DTMark said:

I want to watch this:

Take Me Home
BBC mini-series, 1989

You can find it on iPlayer, but the episodes aren't available. It's on YouTube but has been blocked on copyright grounds.

And yet, you can't buy it. A couple of people are offering knocked-off DVDs of it for around £10 - off-air VHS material written to DVD.

Don't do P2P, though it doesn't strike me as the sort of thing you'd easily track down.

Any ideas..

Set in Telford I believe 

It remember it being a too notch drama with brilliant performances by Keith Barron and Maggie O'Neill. Certainly deserves its status as a Cult Classic

I am surprised no one has produced a quality DVD of it. 

Edited by Flirtygirty

4 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

There was a really good mini series thing back in the 90s, think it was called "Starlings", about a handsome young Northern man on the make who starts a relationship with a posh bird and uses the connection to get a job in the City, a sort of role-reversed "My Fair Lady".

Actually..when i rolled down south for work, i ended up workung my way thru a few proper posh girls. As in Ladies with capital L.

Mid 90s, being northern was in.

I've been watching episodes of "One Foot in the Grave", maybe it's because I'm older now, but it seems funnier than it was back then. Absolute classic.

"He's in the pantry"
"Who?"
"Mr. Meldrew, of course. Who else would be in the pantry? He even had the temerity to ask what *I* was doing here"

That then reminded me of the series in the OP - I can vividly remember Annette Crosbie's acting in *that* scene when she finds out.

Has never made it to DVD. Appears the only people with copies are those who taped it onto VHS.

4 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Back on topic, I'll take a look on P2P later for you @DTMark.

When i was, i got my first proper perma boner from Mr Pye, based on Mervyn peake book.

It was on in 86. They had an attractive girl walk bollocked naked in one of the scenes.

Ch4 rebroadcast it a few years ago, 30 anniv or something. Ive got a rip on my computer.

Anyhow, the girl is now working as an isteopath or something. I googled her.

4 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

"Did you enjoy the soup?"

"What?"

"The soup, I pissed in the soup."

(he later siad he hadn't really)

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

I want to watch this:

Take Me Home
BBC mini-series, 1989

Any ideas..

Drop this guy a message - cannot see your request listed but may be worth an email. He is trustworthy and helpful - I have used hime before = http://www.oldtimetv.net/

6 hours ago, MrPin said:

I am always willing to pay for a boxed set of my favourites, but of that era, the recordings are worse that a crap rip.

I really don't understand why there isn't basically an online DVD 'burn on demand' service for absolutely everything that could also be very quick and available as things are released. I end up streaming GOT but would much rather have the DVDs turn up in the mail the day after it airs. I've never had council TV and don't really want it as, similarly with the various online services, I only usually want to watch a couple of the shows they have.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Actually..when i rolled down south for work, i ended up workung my way thru a few proper posh girls. As in Ladies with capital L.

Mid 90s, being northern was in.

I daresay., maybe partially because of that series which was popular. Posh girls good in bed by brit standards IME (which is only 2!) 

The main character learned poshspeak from the burd like My Fair Lady, then got the trading job and stitched up his City employers so they had to buy him off to cover it up, and returned to his flocks of starlings in the north, buying up the closed factory he'd been made redundant from and starting some otner business. Very predictable but amusing, would like to see it again.

1 hour ago, eight said:

Surely anybody who held a TV license at the time of original broadcast should be able to demand a copy of this from the So-Called BBC?

Sort-of. I looked into this.

You can request clips or programmes from the archive if you have a particular case to do so. One example might be a news programme wanting archive footage for a piece they want to make, or for research purposes. You just get charged for the time/cost to write out a DVD.

You cannot, however, as a member of the public, pick and choose anything and have it sent to you.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:53, The Masked Tulip said:

Someone claims to have all 3 episodes on a DVD for a tenner.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/take-me-home-dvd-1989-keith-barron-601245892

A couple of people seem to be selling off-air to DVD self-written copies of this.

Basically nobody has a digital/DVD copy (it was never released on DVD), the only copies of this thing in existence were recorded off the TV.

But that does look like the only option in the meantime.

10 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

No luck sorry.

Thanks for looking.

Does anyone remember a C4 programme circa 2002, which placed a group of 10 randoms in an underground "bunker" (eg: studio) and they had a week to decide unanimously which of them will walk away with the £100K prize? If they didn't unanimously decide they had to stay for another week, IIRC.

In the end they chose the already-loaded art dealer, as she was the only one who wasn't scheming. It was one of my favourite programmes at the time, but C4 didn't renew it for a second year. Cannot remember the name at all.

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Does anyone remember a C4 programme circa 2002, which placed a group of 10 randoms in an underground "bunker" (eg: studio) and they had a week to decide unanimously which of them will walk away with the £100K prize? If they didn't unanimously decide they had to stay for another week, IIRC.

In the end they chose the already-loaded art dealer, as she was the only one who wasn't scheming. It was one of my favourite programmes at the time, but C4 didn't renew it for a second year. Cannot remember the name at all.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1078562.hampshire_mum_is_in_the_money_after_tv_show_win/

On 03/07/2017 at 08:44, DTMark said:

A couple of people seem to be selling off-air to DVD self-written copies of this.

Basically nobody has a digital/DVD copy (it was never released on DVD), the only copies of this thing in existence were recorded off the TV.

But that does look like the only option in the meantime.

Thanks for looking.

Yep, your only chance would be to find some anorak who has it on tape and has put it onto DVD.

I knew a guy who worked at the So-Called BBC who seemed to revel in finding old copies of programmes, and he was a HUGE Doctor Who fan, who would disappear off with boxes of films and audio tape. He was a really nasty piece of work to me - really did not like me - so I tend not to think about him. But whenever it comes up about missing episodes of such and such programme I do wonder whether he is jerking off at home, with the curtains closed, watching 'lost' episodes of the Doctor.

He would be the type who would have a copy of the series that you are looking for.