• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
LC1

Sulfites in wine - thought I was dying.

So last night I thought I was seriously ill (ok, not dying), assumed it was a really bad chest infection as I had a sore throat, blocked nose, a kind of burning sensation in my lungs and a really bad wheezing cough that made it feel quite hard to breathe.

Finally managed to get to sleep at around 2am and imagined that I would awake feeling exactly the same, but amazingly I felt completely normal in the morning. I'd had two glasses of reasonably expensive French red wine with dinner.

I drink red wine fairly regularly, but usually just the one brand. This has happened once before with similar symptoms, almost like an asthma attack, but I don't have any kind of asthma at all.

Searching online it appears this is more common than you would imagine. How the fuck can they use an additive that causes such scary symptoms in a significant proportion of people and not even need to disclose how much they are using? Seriously unpleasant :PissedOff:

I think sulphites are why I get terrible hangovers after drinking dry cider so haven't had it for probably thirty years.

The sulphite IIRC is used to stop the fermentation in both cider and wine.

I don't drink wine either.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think sulphites are why I get terrible hangovers after drinking dry cider so haven't had it for probably thirty years.

But they're not essential, you can get wine without, so I assume it's a cost thing. And only happened to my twice in my lifetime, though both in the last 2 years, so maybe I have developed a sensitivity. But why only some bottles?

13 minutes ago, LC1 said:

So last night I thought I was seriously ill (ok, not dying), assumed it was a really bad chest infection as I had a sore throat, blocked nose, a kind of burning sensation in my lungs and a really bad wheezing cough that made it feel quite hard to breathe.

Finally managed to get to sleep at around 2am and imagined that I would awake feeling exactly the same, but amazingly I felt completely normal in the morning. I'd had two glasses of reasonably expensive French red wine with dinner.

I drink red wine fairly regularly, but usually just the one brand. This has happened once before with similar symptoms, almost like an asthma attack, but I don't have any kind of asthma at all.

Searching online it appears this is more common than you would imagine. How the fuck can they use an additive that causes such scary symptoms in a significant proportion of people and not even need to disclose how much they are using? Seriously unpleasant :PissedOff:

How are you with bacon?

Sounds like you were lucky. That was a nasty reaction. If your breathing was affected then you need to take notice. 

You say it was not an asthma attack but it sounds like one. Wine is known to bring on asthma attacks. You say that you don't have asthma but what happened to you last night would suggest otherwise.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

I've had this a few times, never considered that it might have been that and thought it was more likely because I live about 8 miles from one of the most polluted roads in England.

Seems to be pretty common, especially asthma-like symptoms. My breathing was laboured and had an audible wheeze. Managed to keep a logical head that I wasn't dying, bit can easily see that it might freak you out and cause a panic attack. Horrible.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You say that you don't have asthma but what happened to you last night would suggest otherwise.

I am relatively sporty and have never had any breathing issues, just those two times. After red wine.

I don't eat bacon these days, but know a lot of food has sulfites. I eat salamis, dried fruit etc without issue.

Sulfites are recognised as 1 of the 14 common food allergens. Not all red wines have significant amounts of sulfites. If you haven’t imported the wine yourself (back from hols or whatever), it should be listed as an allergen on the label if there are more than 50ppm levels. Below 50ppm you would need to be consuming quantities of wine in the order of an Olympic swimming pool to trigger a reaction.

20+ years in the food & drink industries.

2 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I am relatively sporty and have never had any breathing issues, just those two times. After red wine.

I don't eat bacon these days, but know a lot of food has sulfites. I eat salamis, dried fruit etc without issue.

It is a mistake to think that people with asthma do not do sports. There is a long list of people at the top of sport who have asthma. 

Quite the contrary, Russian docs believe that the narrower airways, as a result of asthma, results in improved sporting prowess and even longer life.

It is possible that you have narrowed airways, that you body has adjusted to them but the wine was enough to narrow your airways just that bit too much. In which case, you need to take heed of what happened.

For future reference, strong black coffee can act as a broncodillator in an emergency. Longterm, regular magnesium citrate consumption is believed by some to relax the airway.

But I would consider getting it checked out by the GP if only so that you can have an emergency inhaler on hand.

It’s a well known problem. In Ontario the the semi-monopoly liquor store even has a range of wines specifically labelled as being low in sulphates and other stuff that will set off allergies.

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is possible that you have narrowed airways, that you body has adjusted to them but the wine was enough to narrow your airways just that bit too much.

Very interesting. I'm going to look into this matter more closely.

14 hours ago, LC1 said:

I have (had) asthma in my youth.  Wine was a common trigger so I mostly avoided.

On 05/09/2019 at 19:14, Frank Hovis said:

Yes it must be the reason and not the 12 pints of cider you drunk

Purely for the cause, I have been imbibing wine since 7.30 this evening. The good news is that the sulfites haven’t had any adverse affect, proving as I have long suspected that the OP is a shirt lifter. A happy by product of this experiment is that for tonight, Brexit seems far less important than I had thought. 

In the interest of science, tonight’s experiment will be repeated tomorrow. My first peer reviewed article beckons...

1 hour ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Purely for the cause, I have been imbibing wine since 7.30 this evening. The good news is that the sulfites haven’t had any adverse affect, proving as I have long suspected that the OP is a shirt lifter. A happy by product of this experiment is that for tonight, Brexit seems far less important than I had thought. 

In the interest of science, tonight’s experiment will be repeated tomorrow. My first peer reviewed article beckons...

Oi! @LC1, he called you a poof! Fight!

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well not twelve but an equivalent strength beer or lager doesn't have that effect; and nor does sweet cider.

Uncle Monty does keep an exceptionally good cellar.

11 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

The good news is that the sulfites haven’t had any adverse affect, proving as I have long suspected that the OP is a shirt lifter. 

:o

10 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Oi! @LC1, he called you a poof! Fight!

:Old: Make love, not war

(though not with HO obviously, that would rather go to prove his point!)

Used to drink flagons of red wine as a yoof, and never once had a reaction. And like I say, plenty of reds don't cause me a problem, just rare random bottles. Is it that some producers use much more sulfites than others? 

1 hour ago, LC1 said:

:o

:Old: Make love, not war

(though not with HO obviously, that would rather go to prove his point!)

Used to drink flagons of red wine as a yoof, and never once had a reaction. And like I say, plenty of reds don't cause me a problem, just rare random bottles. Is it that some producers use much more sulfites than others? 

Quantities vary a fair bit for sure. It’s also just about possible the problem is the fining agent:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3339366/