• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Frugal

I had some old candles that were useless as the wick had burnt out. I followed the way of dosbods and melted them down and made some firefighters. I simple soaked some cotton wool in the melted wax.

From a financial viewpoint I was probably wasting my time. However it was surprisingly satisfying turning a waste item into something useful....

image.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I had some old candles that were useless as the wick had burnt out. I followed the way of dosbods and melted them down and made some firefighters. I simple soaked some cotton wool in the melted wax.

From a financial viewpoint I was probably wasting my time. However it was surprisingly satisfying turning a waste item into something useful....

image.jpeg

I think @One percent would be more impressed if you'd made one of these...

image.jpeg.d65b5f9d1481d126a308f253ab79aa47.jpeg

Though these look better to me.

Image result for female firefighter calendar

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

12 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

image.jpeg

You are the Firestarter.

Twisted Firestarter.

I rather like the idea of doing the environmentally correct thing and repurposing something that would have gone to waste, but doing it with something that by design results in increased CO2 emissions.

Greta would be confused.

Edited by dgul

9 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I think @One percent would be more impressed if you'd made one of these...

image.jpeg.d65b5f9d1481d126a308f253ab79aa47.jpeg

So yesterday. We met the new police intake at Wakefield yesterday. As for  firefighters, stand aside Wayne, Darren, Craig and Trev. Meet Camilla, India, Chelsea and Charlotte. Yep it's Cambridge....

Cambridge-female-firefighters.jpg.5079dc77618a94321648670aa0dc4bea.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor

7 hours ago, whocares said:

Aren't they the opposite of fire lighters?!

Yeah I was just in pedant mode as Great Guy had typed "firefighters" (or autocorrect had done that for him).

43 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

So yesterday. We met the new police intake at Wakefield yesterday. As for  firefighters, stand aside Wayne, Darren, Craig and Trev. Meet Camilla, India, Chelsea and Charlotte. Yep it's Cambridge....

Way back, I worked with two girls who wanted to join the MOD Fire Service. They couldn't because one was too fat/unfit and one too small and weak to pass the  test which involved carrying a heavy dummy (representing an unconscious person) 50 metres in a certain time (or something like that).

Anyway it looks as though having to be strong enough to do the job was considered to be sexism and that test has been removed.  I'm 6ft 1 and 90kg, I don't believe any of the women pictured above could pick me up, let alone  carry me 50 metres.  

23 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah I was just in pedant mode as Great Guy had typed "firefighters" (or autocorrect had done that for him).

Way back, I worked with two girls who wanted to join the MOD Fire Service. They couldn't because one was too fat/unfit and one too small and weak to pass the  test which involved carrying a heavy dummy (representing an unconscious person) 50 metres in a certain time (or something like that).

Anyway it looks as though having to be strong enough to do the job was considered to be sexism and that test has been removed.  I'm 6ft 1 and 90kg, I don't believe any of the women pictured above could pick me up, let alone  carry me 50 metres.  

I wouldn't worry about that. Due to your white male privilege, you'd be left until last, behind all the ethnics, women, cats, dogs, rats and brown office furniture. By the time she got to you, you'd be comfortably carried inside two buckets.

2 minutes ago, maynardgravy said:

I wouldn't worry about that. Due to your white male privilege, you'd be left until last, behind all the ethnics, women, cats, dogs, rats and brown office furniture. By the time she got to you, you'd be comfortably carried inside two buckets.

You'll also get the blame by ignoring anything to do with a washing machine, including it being on fire.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

I've seen male retained firefighters out on a "shout" and they looked like the cast of Dad's Army.  There was about a dozen out for a bit of grass set alight by a barbecue.

Two were doing something and ten were watching.

The aim seems to be to have sufficient enlisted that there is cover at all hours and generally no particular strength is required as they're just pointing a hose or a beater to put out a gorse fire; those four are in better physical shape than the retained firefighters I saw.

I despair at the absolute state of the police (resisting the urge to post "that" photo twice in two days) because they need to able to win a no rules fight but the fire service works as a community effort by retired people.

18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Ha ha, after a monstrous £50 spend, on the MOT, my 26 year old Lexus is good for another year.

Do they still waive the road tax for vintage vehicles?, - vintage always used to be anything over 25 years old.

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Do they still waive the road tax for vintage vehicles?, - vintage always used to be anything over 25 years old.

It was fixed at a set date in the seventies for a long time and then Gideon restarted the rolling date; I think it's more like 35 years now.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It was fixed at a set date in the seventies for a long time and then Gideon restarted the rolling date; I think it's more like 35 years now.

40 years Frank. A few to go yet.

19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Bit like the fekking state pension - a goal you'll likely, never reach

Edited by Hopeful

17 minutes ago, MrPin said:

40 years Frank. A few to go yet.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Bit like the fekking state pension - a goal you'll likely, never reach

It made sense really because car build quality had got so much better; a 25 year old car in 1980 was from 1955 and a venerable classic of which very few were still daily drivers but a 25 year old car now is 1994, which I think is N reg, and that's some peoples' daily drivers rather than cherished classics.  As in the case of Mr Pin's Lexus.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Cheers.

It made sense really because car build quality had got so much better; a 25 year old car in 1980 was from 1955 and a venerable classic of which very few were still daily drivers but a 25 year old car now is 1994, which I think is N reg, and that's some peoples' daily drivers rather than cherished classics.  As in the case of Mr Pin's Lexus.

Of course

But just like people's improvement in life longevity, how many will achieve the proposed 75 and for how long afterwards,

how many people might achieve a car of 40- years old.

If you have goals they should be realistically achievable, or else they are just an insult to intelligence

it would be better to have no goals

24 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

:D

Sounds about right, the physical condition of many of the lads at the station I was at was not quite at the calendar standard posted above...and I'm being kind.

The less said about the one bloke who was scared of heights the better...

In terms of everything being used on a shout this was definately true and a bit more understandable as there was a 'use it or lose it' ethos at work in the Fire Service. As a cost cutting exercise if an item of kit hadn't been used in a year or so then it was removed from service as redundant. Of course as soon as that happened, you'd need the bloody thing. This also included personell, if not enough people were going out for shouts then they'd cut the numbers at the station, two pumps would become one etc. or in some cases, the station would be closed down. 

In terms of standards, a very good friend of mine is a instructor/trainer for the LFB. Over beers he absolutely lost his shit about how low the bar has now been set in order to accommodate those who, frankly, would not have cut the mustard previously. What pissed him right off was that he'd see the same people pass through his classes three four, five times after failing and trying again. He couldn't understand why they weren't being told that they simply weren't up to scratch and that perhaps they'd like to go look for something else.  As he said: 'I'd love to be an astronaut, not going to happen and I'm not about to waste NASA's time doing and re-doing their courses until the lower their standards enough to let me in'.

He said he had absolutely no issue with anyone, male, female, black or white or whatever if they passed the set standards. If they couldn't then they had no business being there and it was driving him mental that instead of sticking to that, LFB was actively lowering the requirements in order to achieve a politically correct quota.

Mental.

Tbf the only fireman I know is bloody awesome. He has biceps like thighs and could pick up two Swissys' at the same time, he runs the 800m in just over 2 minutes. He scores 400 at Scrabble. He won Gladiators on television in the 1980s, remember that with Wolf, Hunter et al. 

Relative by marriage and a great guy.

Trouble is he's 59 ( looks 40) and retired  about 7 years ago . Lud here in lane 5 ( the black guy with the shaved head) coming fourth for Great  Britain in the world 800m 55 final...

Edited by crashmonitor

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Of course

But just like people's improvement in life longevity, how many will achieve the proposed 75 and for how long afterwards,

how many people might achieve a car of 40- years old.

If you have goals they should be realistically achievable, or else they are just an insult to intelligence

it would be better to have no goals

The intention of the classic car exemption was that people who had a cherished classic in their garage that they drove on Sundays in the summer were not paying full road tax for what was an occasional car.

It wasn't there so that somebody could just keep their normal car going until it became exempt from road tax.  A 1994 car is an old car but I still see them about as cheap commuters; a 1979 car is a classic hobby car.

The rise in state pension age is very different and is outrageous.  Most working people receive three main benefits from the taxes they pay: free education and healthcare, and then a pension to fund their retirement.  To steal years of working people's retirement pay outs away whilst merrily pissing money away (foreign aid, HS2, non-contributory benefits, Harry and Meghan) should have seen the government that even proposed it fall. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The intention of the classic car exemption was that people who had a cherished classic in their garage that they drove on Sundays in the summer were not paying full road tax for what was an occasional car.

It wasn't there so that somebody could just keep their normal car going until it became exempt from road tax.  A 1994 car is an old car but I still see them about as cheap commuters; a 1979 car is a classic hobby car.

The rise in state pension age is very different and is outrageous.  Most working people receive three main benefits from the taxes they pay: free education and healthcare, and then a pension to fund their retirement.  To steal years of working people's retirement pay outs away whilst merrily pissing money away (foreign aid, HS2, non-contributory benefits, Harry and Meghan) should have seen the government that even proposed it fall. 

Yes

But you have to have a hope you can game the system

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Yes

But you have to have a hope you can game the system

Absolutely.

The reason that I think the classic car is reasonable is that I would totally keep my next car going just to hit the 25 year mark and enjoy tax free status and I know that isn't the intention of it.

Though I'd say I am very much gaming the system by not paying any income tax :)

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Can they carry me out of a burning building?