• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Anyone here bought glasses online?

Any good/bad experience with this?

Got my eyes tested a few months back and no change in 7 years which is good, got a new pair of glassed that cost a bomb - fancy maybe getting a spare pair and/or sunglasses but don't want to pay opticians prices now that I know the details of my prescription....so I'm hoping I can get them via the interweb at a fraction of the price...

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Any good/bad experience with this?

Got my eyes tested a few months back and no change in 7 years which is good, got a new pair of glassed that cost a bomb - fancy maybe getting a spare pair and/or sunglasses but don't want to pay opticians prices now that I know the details of my prescription....so I'm hoping I can get them via the interweb at a fraction of the price...

I get reading glasses from poundland only 1.5s though.

Id imagine if youve a script theyd be fine.

Got my wife two pairs of ordinary glasses and some prescription sunnies for about 60 quid all in, all were good. We struggled a bit measuring her intra-ocular distance (especially as one of her eyes is a bit squint) but it didn't seem to matter. She's properly short sighted, about -4.5.

Just now, Rave said:

Got my wife two pairs of ordinary glasses and some prescription sunnies for about 60 quid all in, all were good. We struggled a bit measuring her intra-ocular distance (especially as one of her eyes is a bit squint) but it didn't seem to matter. She's properly short sighted, about -4.5.

8 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

yes, no problems

What websites did you use?

Just checked my emails, it was SelectSpecs, about 2 1/2 years ago. Turns out the ordinary glasses were 6 quid a pair, and the sunnies 21, delivery 8 quid, so 41 quid in total. Absolute bargain TBH. I almost wish I needed glasses so I could buy some myself! :p

Just now, One percent said:

Dunno, I can’t see them without my glasses. xD

ill get me coat. o.O

Have you ordered your strap-on yet?

Just now, Rave said:

Just checked my emails, it was SelectSpecs, about 2 1/2 years ago. Turns out the ordinary glasses were 6 quid a pair, and the sunnies 21, delivery 8 quid, so 41 quid in total. Absolute bargain TBH. I almost wish I needed glasses so I could buy some myself! :p

Great thanks!

It is worth pointing out that this is exactly what the high street opticians do -- you go in, get measured, and they order the spectacles from their factory miles away.  If there's an issue they send them back and get a replacement pair posted.  The only positive with buying from the opticians is that they'll spot an obvious mistake -- but in my experience they're not even that good at spotting mistakes, and most problems will be fairly 'obvious' to the wearer as soon as they're put on.

[the exception to that is for people with their first pair of glasses -- they don't know what to expect and often complain about lots of visual disturbances when the problem is actually one of acclimatising to wearing the things.]

Used speckyfoureyes numerous times when I see an offer on hotukdeals. When they had a good deal on I bought 4 of the same pair in varying colours for £100 and been going through those for the past few years. Recently bought another pair which worked out at £40. If you order from them don't add any of the special anti scratch stuff which costs £20 as they message you and offer it for £10 after you pay.

It's nice to have numerous pairs of glasses on the cheap as you're not so precious about them, for example I just went in the sea with one pair and they just became my beach glasses - they didn't last long me doing that!

Edited by honkydonkey

6 hours ago, gibbon said:

yeah brought some for driving. From selectspecs I think, only £10. Survived me sitting on them on while drunk. Wouldn't ever bother buying in-store with their 10,000% markups again.

If you sat on them while drunk, I presume/hope that therefore you were not driving. O.o

I've bought a bunch from selectspecs in the past.

It's much easier if you've already got a pair of glasses that fit your head size so that you can compare the measurements that they give against your pair to get a better feel for the size and likely fit.

You'll also need to know your pupillary distance. A friendly optician told me mine, but they can be a bit funny sometimes about telling you because they know that you'll be wanting it so you can buy your glasses elsewhere.

8 hours ago, Tdog said:

I get reading glasses from poundland only 1.5s though.

Id imagine if youve a script theyd be fine.

Same here.. lucky to have symetrically bad eyes.  I said to myself they would never become a crutch when I started using them at 38.  Now Im 45 and pretty much have 3 of the strongest ones stacked up on my nose to type this!!! ... they all still cost less than £5 though!!!

Edited by sbn

10 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

If you sat on them while drunk, I presume/hope that therefore you were not driving. O.o

Ha no! In the back of a taxi coming home. Spent the next day running round like a mad man looking for them till I found them in my back pocket.