• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Key cutting why is it so hard?

Question

I need the large key reduced in size to be the size of the smaller brass key.  Nobody wants to do it for some reason. Any ideas where I can get this done?.

20190907_185532.jpg

Edited by spunko

3 answers to this question

It won't fit the lock if you make it smaller O.o

I am guessing that what you want is a shorter key that is otherwise identical to the original.

It may be something to do with the non-availabity of a shorter blank for that particular lock type.

It will fit I've measured it, if you mean in terms of length.

The problem I think is that the end - don't know the technical term - on the brass key  is about 10% smaller than the one on the larger key. I assume that's what you meant.

So even if I found somewhere to reduce the barrel length I'd need them to not shrink the end at all. 

The brass key is pretty standard so they'd probably try to resize the larger key down to that size, but all i need is the long bit (barrel?) not quite as long. 

Getting a new lock will cost a bit as it's not a standard one, so would rather avoid that. 

Edited by spunko

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

It will fit I've measured it, if you mean in terms of length.

The problem I think is that the end - don't know the technical term - on the brass key  is about 10% smaller than the one on the larger key. I assume that's what you meant.

So even if I found somewhere to reduce the barrel length I'd need them to not shrink the end at all. 

The brass key is pretty standard so they'd probably try to resize the larger key down to that size, but all i need is the long bit (barrel?) not quite as long. 

Getting a new lock will cost a bit as it's not a standard one, so would rather avoid that. 

Cut off the non-business end of the key and shorten the shaft. And learn to weld.