• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
onlyme

Meteor

Just saw a big meteor heading due  west, or something coming down and breaking up. Seen shooting stars before but never one of those. Just happened to be poking head out of back door at the time.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and the heavenly bodies will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved. And the Tory's work will be exposed and thus the Saviour Jeremy Corbyn  will cometh upon us.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Just saw a big meteor heading due  west, or something coming down and breaking up. Seen shooting stars before but never one of those. Just happened to be poking head out of back door at the time.

I saw one in January, just happened to look out the window, makes you wonder how many there are

This is right for the timing:

Police units have responded to a call about a possible light aircraft crash this morning.

Units have been sent to the Tavistock area after a caller said they saw what looked like a plane crash.

There have been several reports on Twitter this morning about people seeing a glowing object falling from the sky.

Plymouth C Section Response Tweeted at 5.55am: "Did anybody else see two glowing objects falling southwesterly direction out towards Plymouth sound? I know I have been up all night, but that was odd. Asteroid?"

People from across the country have reported seeing a similar sight. It is not clear if the sightings are related.

The Force Incident Manager for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "This is a possible light aircraft. It's come in as the Tavistock postal code PL20 6SL. Somebody called from an adventure centre in Princetown.

"Units have arrived on scene. They currently haven't seen anything. They are searching the Cadover Bridge and Shaugh Prior areas.

"It is quite remote."

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/live-plane-crash-devon-cornwall-3295945

POLICE in Devon have launched  an investigation after a mysterious object fell from the sky on the south coast.

Two fireballs, one bigger than the other, sparked several 999 calls, with witnesses fearing there had been a plane crash.

One theory was that it was an asteroid breaking up after penetrating Earth's atmosphere.

The drama unfolded shortly before 6am this morning.

Police in Devon said air and ground searches were being carried out, although there are no recorded flights in the area, Plymouth Live reports.

The Force Incident Manager for Devon and Cornwall Police said: “There have been reports it broke into two and this has come from numerous people.

“We’ve got two aircrafts in the air looking and doing aerial searches of the area. 

“At the moment we are saying it is the Yelverton/Tavistock/Prince Town area.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9886185/devon-meteorite-police-called/

7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Almost definitely the same sighting, did look as it was breaking up just as it disappeared being the house wall. Not light aircraft, way way too fast. Direction of travel tallies. 

The stories suggest that people reporting it as a light aircraft breaking up and crashing are wrong but that it was instead a meteor that had broken up into several parts.

I've seen many shooting stars, and watched the slow satellites whilst waiting for them, but never a meteor. You lucky bugger.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The stories suggest that people reporting it as a light aircraft breaking up and crashing are wrong but that it was instead a meteor that had broken up into several parts.

I've seen many shooting stars, and watched the slow satellites whilst waiting for them, but never a meteor. You lucky bugger.

I was literally poking my head out the door at the time, very lucky sighting.

Looked like this,  but "granier" with sub trails/spark effects  from small lumps fanning off from the mail trail.   General light conditions were about the same too.

image.png.7a4b672576a146f73737d4e81d7d895a.png

Edited by onlyme

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

I know how you feel. I saw one when I nipped to the bins before bed. There was no noise but when I think back I know I add noise on. Its a real weird humbling experience. The fire trail eery. You wont forget it. Doubt I will see another othe than those that just get captured on film. At the time the immediate news went with meteor but other stories floated about. I have to admit I thought it was a planes light at first but once closer it was clear. You wont stop thinking of it all day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_UK_meteoroid

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I was literally poking my head out the door at the time, very lucky sighting.

Looked like this,  but "granier" with sub trails/spark effects  from small lumps fanning off from the mail trail. 

image.png.7a4b672576a146f73737d4e81d7d895a.png

Lucky enough to have seen three, one like the picture and  two where I was standing directly beneath as they wen't overhead. All three were in Devon. Maybe there is summat about the place :ph34r:

The sulphurous smell and smoke that filled the air of the two that went overhead added to the experience

Edited by Hopeful

6 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I know how you feel. I saw one when I nipped to the bins before bed. There was no noise but when I think back I know I add noise on. Its a real weird humbling experience. The fire trail eery. You wont forget it. Doubt I will see another othe than those that just get captured on film. At the time the immediate news went with meteor but other stories floated about. I have to admit I thought it was a planes light at first but once closer it was clear. You wont stop thinking of it all day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_UK_meteoroid

I remember some brilliant night skies in Turkey decades ago when the beaches were empty and remote, still remember those through the Raki haze.

This is how War of the Worlds begins.

Someone send out a middle-aged professor with a pipe, trousers with a waist-band around his chest and a very bright but even sexier young assistant with glasses and a tight two-piece skirt outfit. Then throw in a senior military guy who believes nothing they say.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This is how War of the Worlds begins.

Someone send out a middle-aged professor with a pipe, trousers with a waist-band around his chest and a very bright but even sexier young assistant with glasses and a tight two-piece skirt outfit. Then throw in a senior military guy who believes nothing they say.

You have seen one too many disaster movies. Will it cause volcanoes, and earthquakes?

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I suspect lots of people running around screaming before being vapourised. 

These films are legion at the moment. I'm bored with the lot of them.

Saw 1 once.  Brilliant purple flare travelling about 200x faster than an airliner at top altitude.  No exaggeration, covered about a 1/3 of the visible sky in about 2 seconds.  Assuming it was WAY higher than airliner altitude, imagine how fast that must be!!!!!

It left a grey/brown trail as it was after sunset, so the sun didnt catch it.

It burnt out long before it landed (if it was even on a path to).

No sound.  Just me stood alone,  wanting to share with anyone what I had just seen.  Anyone who had not looked up when I had, would only have seen what looked like a standard plane vapour trail.

I felt very blessed... anyone could have appreciated the painting... but only I had seen the hand of the artist moving the brush!

Edited by sbn

2 hours ago, sbn said:

Saw 1 once.  Brilliant purple flare travelling about 200x faster than an airliner at top altitude.  No exaggeration, covered about a 1/3 of the visible sky in about 2 seconds.  Assuming it was WAY higher than airliner altitude, imagine how fast that must be!!!!!

It left a grey/brown trail as it was after sunset, so the sun didnt catch it.

It burnt out long before it landed (if it was even on a path to).

No sound.  Just me stood alone,  wanting to share with anyone what I had just seen.  Anyone who had not looked up when I had, would only have seen what looked like a standard plane vapour trail.

I felt very blessed... anyone could have appreciated the painting... but only I had seen the hand of the artist moving the brush!

A few thousand years ago you could havew returned to the village and told a story that could have founded a religion for billions centuries later. Or, at the very least, started a war in which someone stubbed a big toe.