• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SillyBilly

Diference between...

Labour and the Liberal Democrats?

Another defection today. To me I don't actually understand the difference between their "values" now. They both preach fairness and tolerance (i.e. fall over themselves in political correctness), both pro immigration, both pro spending seemingly, both are anti-Brexit (apart from Corbyn and a few token working class MPs Labour are Remain), both claim to hate tories, similar positions on climate change etc.

We talk about the LD occuping the "centre ground" but they're lefties are they not too? Do they have any Conservative features that Labour doesn't or I am missing something?

11 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Another defection today. To me I don't actually understand the difference between their "values" now. They both preach fairness and tolerance (i.e. fall over themselves in political correctness), both pro immigration, both pro spending seemingly, both are anti-Brexit (apart from Corbyn and a few token working class MPs Labour are Remain), both claim to hate tories, similar positions on climate change etc.

We talk about the LD occuping the "centre ground" but they're lefties are they not too? Do they have any Conservative features that Labour doesn't or I am missing something?

They probably have some inertia from days before lib/lab/con where it was more like lab/con. 

"I'm not voting for either of them", not realising that they are now all one and the same. 

After their disastrous coalition renege on tuition fees, I think they pretty much killed themselves, and only really recovered thanks to the delay in Labour coming out to back Remain. 

As such, they are now pretty much one and the same. 

Edited by The Generation Game 🙌

I'd say that the big difference between the two is the way that Labour aligns very strongly with the trade unions in domestic matters whereas Liberals will take a more middle ground.

Liberals also have a much stronger involvement in local politics for their own sake rather than seeing them as wholly subservient to national politics as does Labour (and the Conservatives).

When it comes to the EU Liberals seem to be 100% remain whilst a lot of old school Labour are leavers.

At the moment they should be treated as the same thing as the official party line from both is either stay in or BRINO; depending on who is speaking.

Back in the Blair days, when people couldn't tell the difference between Blairite neo-con policies and Tory neo-con policies; it was suggested that the Conservatives needed to distance themselves, by ensuring there was clear blue water between their own and Labour's positions.

Perhaps it's time to have a conversation about ensuring there is clear yellow water between the LibDems and Corbyn's Labour?

Or is that just taking the piss?

I would say Labour represent communism lite..  fronted by the weakest of thinking in politics today.

Libdems believe they are the thinking mans party for intellectuals.  Mostly appeal to academics in knitted henna bobble hats with similar delusions. 

9 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

To be fair the Tory party have been the same for the last 2 decades, time will tell if there is any difference with Boris other than the fact it looks as if he will leave the EU on 31/10 come what may.

Just look at the 30 or so who have left the Tory party in the last 12 months, they would easily fit in with the LIBLABs and many have taken that option.

Edited by Tdog

9 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

The Conservatives conserve nothing worth conserving.

Labour are not, and quite possibly were never for those who labour.

The Liberal Democrats might be liberal, but that's not really a good thing, and they're certainly not for democracy when they don't like the way people vote. 

Bunch. Of. Cunts. 

Fuck them all, vote For Britain and don't fall for Farage and his fake (civic) nationalism. 

1 hour ago, whitevanman said:

The Liberals are for middle class people who like to identify with trendy lefty values but don't want to associate with smelly poor people.

We have a winner. Once they were for tories with a conscience, now this pretty much sums them up.

With the plethora of ‘insight’ available in the dead tree press, it’s remarkable how nobody has commented on the ease with which all of these ‘conviction’ politicians have jumped party. It’s almost like the party has been a vehicle for election as opposed to a collective of like minded people.

I’m just saying, for the benefit of all our good friends in GCHQ....

8 hours ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

With the plethora of ‘insight’ available in the dead tree press, it’s remarkable how nobody has commented on the ease with which all of these ‘conviction’ politicians have jumped party. It’s almost like the party has been a vehicle for election as opposed to a collective of like minded people.

I’m just saying, for the benefit of all our good friends in GCHQ....

I'd imagine that if you asked people who they voted for in the last general election they wouldn't be able to tell you the name of the person, even less so if they lost. In the last 3-4 elections I've voted for the loser in my constituency, I can remember the party but wouldn't have a clue who the actual candidate was.

While there are certainly some higher profile figures in all parties, people vote based on party first.

Personally I'd be livid if my MP switched parties mid term... not that I voted for him anyway. Sure they can have personal convictions and positions but you vote based on the content of a manifesto, if you didn't why would a candidate attach themselves to a party in the first place.