• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Gender pay gap

Got a letter from work. Big Company Ltd has decided to award a pay rise this year of 1.5% of the total wage costs.

Yippee!

But concomitant with our commitment to close the gender pay gap we've decided to split that budget amongst the female members of staff. There will be no pay rise for males in the 2019/20 bargaining year.

Boo!

Where I work all the women are managers or project leaders. The only salary gap is probably mine wrt to their pay as they all seem to have a lot of cash to splash around on shoes and clothes.

I suspect the gap comes from the fact that 90% of the cleaning staff are women and that most of the burds work part time - I mean really part time not just spending all day yick yacking with work mates.

So that's another year with no pay rise.

Edited by Dave Bloke

9 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Got a letter from work. Big Company Ltd has decided to award a pay rise this year of 1.5% of the total wage costs.

Yippee!

But concomitant with our commitment to close the gender pay gap we've decided to split that budget amongst the female members of staff. There will be no pay rise for males in the 2019/20 bargaining year.

Boo!

Where I work all the women are managers or project leaders. The only salary gap is probably mine wrt to their pay as they all seem to have a lot of cash to splash around on shoes and clothes.

I suspect the gap comes from the fact that 90% of the cleaning staff are women and that most of the burds work part time - I mean really part time not just spending all day yick yacking with work mates.

So that's another year with no pay rise.

That would be resignation event for me sell your skills elsewhere 

Tough.  There's nothing you can do about it.

Remind yourself that work and pay are simple -- you sell your skills to those that are prepared to pay for it.  If you feel that they're not rewarding you enough for your efforts then leave.

[Everyone moans.  All the time.  'not fair!' -- life's not fair. Just get on with it.]

This to my pea brain is nonsensical and counter productive for the medium and long term health of the business. But when are we going to get that first sizeable PC company casualty to back this up (with a clear woke and broke link)? Seems like big tech (generally very well educated people) defies the logic as Google et Al. seem to thrive despite dining out on it. Maybe I'm misguided. How can women with sons not even find these developments scary?

Edited by SillyBilly

9 minutes ago, The Generation Game 🙌 said:

I can never remember whether you work in Geneva  (and commute in) or France?

Not sure it makes much difference, other than possibly a legal perspective. 

No not been in Geneva since 2013ish, now permanently in France. Just a bit pissed that is now 4 years with no raise for various reasons not entirely to do with my current employer when inflation has run as 2-3% per annum in that time.

#globalism

#eudividend

28 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

You mean they don't do any actual work, but get paid more than the ones that do. ;)

... And take more sick leave and waste time on personal phones more. 

4 minutes ago, Stuey said:

... And take more sick leave and waste time on personal phones more. 

Yep.

I'm having a real problem at the moment in my office with two of my female co-workers who just won't keep the noise down; I get on with them both but find it difficult to concentrate on work when they're yakking for extended periods pissing themselves laughing at the tops of their voices ect...it's just rude. It's like sitting in a bar during happy hour trying to get some work done. And to add insult to injury they get paid more than me even though they often don't seem to have much to do.

But if I dared say 'here keep the noise down I can't hear myself think' I'd get a bollocking. I'm considering working from home when I have difficult work that requires complete concentration.

Edited by JoeDavola

8 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Tell them that you've started identifying as a woman.

I'm 100% serious.

xD

unfortunately they don't that kind of stuff in France.

I'm not staying for ever at my current job, I was just a  bit surprised at the letter.

Yet another pile of drivel report that doesn't bother to delve into the known and mostly fair reasons there is a "gap" in the first place. 

And of course doesn't mention or show any graphs for part time work - where this "gap" is the other way around - but that's clearly perfectly fine. 

15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Women going freelance face bigger gender pay gap

https://www.ft.com/content/03d49cb8-def4-11e9-b8e0-026e07cbe5b4

Is that because of the extra days women take off sick?

No show, no pay.

Maybe there are now loads of employers who need to keep on paying women more to ensure the stats are 'fair'.  Whereas the free-market doesn't care about 'fair' and only pays on value given.

Edited by dgul

15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Women going freelance face bigger gender pay gap

https://www.ft.com/content/03d49cb8-def4-11e9-b8e0-026e07cbe5b4

Is that because of the extra days women take off sick?

No show, no pay.

Probably because they're going freelance doing silly shit that nobody will pay good money for.

13 minutes ago, snaga said:

I guess nail techicians, dog walkers, and hosting ann summers parties dosn't pay as much as having a skilled trade, plumber, electrician, etc?

Exactly.