• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Come fly with me, come fly, come fly with me .....

This is a thread crosser with GE

You have a company, that frankly, is/was a pile of shit.

Then you load of managers.

And the last ~20 years have been about screwing down workers where, for various reasons, there was a surplus.

Nows theres not a surplus and, putting aside the fact the planes fly themselves*, they insist n having a Pilot.

And now theyve all walked out.

* Boings aside

I've not followed this story closely. So have no major sway here.

The pilots want more share of the profits. I don't know how much a BA pilot is paid, or the working conditions or other benefits (free shares incentives?). The staff could invest in the shares to access the profits through dividends and capital appreciation.

The stock price (IAG merged with BA), indicates not an entirely rosy picture of future growth. On balance if the staff knew this, and revisited their terms, would they change their minds on industrial action?

Untitled.gif.897c23416c7c7344b7f396d4899018fb.gif

Now have a look at a Apple chart for comparison!

AAPL

Untitledaapl.gif.a1a7f4560d198ef687d751e41c627820.gif

Edited by 201p

13 minutes ago, 201p said:

I've not followed this story closely. So have no major sway here.

The pilots want more share of the profits. I don't know how much a BA pilot is paid, or the working conditions or other benefits (free shares incentives?). The staff could invest in the shares to access the profits through dividends and capital appreciation.

The stock price (IAG merged with BA), indicates not an entirely rosy picture of future growth. On balance if the staff knew this, and revisited their terms, would they change their minds on industrial action?

Untitled.gif.897c23416c7c7344b7f396d4899018fb.gif

Now have a look at a Apple chart for comparison!

AAPL

Untitledaapl.gif.a1a7f4560d198ef687d751e41c627820.gif

100k - bbc r4 keeps repeating it ....

Ive a cunning plan.

The joke was always that BA was pension fundwith a aeroplane.

Why not get the BA pension fund to buy the shares out?

Turn it into a coop.

Win win.

Im glad I rarely fly anywhere.

£100k+ would be senior pilots. Entry pilots likely start on circa £30k. The good old beeb love nothing more than a headline about how the plebs holidays will be ruined. 

4 minutes ago, A_P said:

£100k+ would be senior pilots. Entry pilots likely start on circa £30k. The good old beeb love nothing more than a headline about how the plebs holidays will be ruined. 

£30k would be a BA cadet pilot -- ie, that's what they'd pay during training (the quid pro quo being you sign up to work for them for a few years).

Starting salary for an actual pilot will be about £60k.  Captain would start at about £100k.  Both would typically get more than that -- I think median annual pay (ie, what the 'average' pilot will get) at BA will be about £100k.  

They're certainly well paid by 'normal' standards, but they're even fairly well paid by industry standards.  Easyjet pilots (say) get paid less.

IMO this is the usual problem -- everyone moans about how much they're paid, and BA has a problem of militancy in their staff.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

£30k would be a BA cadet pilot -- ie, that's what they'd pay during training (the quid pro quo being you sign up to work for them for a few years).

Starting salary for an actual pilot will be about £60k.  Captain would start at about £100k.  Both would typically get more than that -- I think median annual pay (ie, what the 'average' pilot will get) at BA will be about £100k.  

They're certainly well paid by 'normal' standards, but they're even fairly well paid by industry standards.  Easyjet pilots (say) get paid less.

IMO this is the usual problem -- everyone moans about how much they're paid, and BA has a problem of militancy in their staff.

Can you provide proof for that starting salary? The last time I looked it was £30k is for a qualified pilot (unless something has changed drastically in the last couple of years) and they will have to pay back their training loans (+£100k) either back to the airline or whoever else they borrowed it from. No doubt their pay can and will increase quite quickly with time served but still there is a huge spectrum between the pilots.

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

Untitled.thumb.gif.5246c24eb47a02c810451dfb20480be9.gif

This is Easyjet - there's been about 5 years of stagnation. Are we seeing the effects of Greta Thunberg? More people seem to be flying more than ever according to charts. But it may not be as profitable for businesses flying people around.

Untitled3.thumb.gif.5b7ff7c0e10d43b29f9aea8a9da28ebc.gif

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IS.AIR.PSGR

There are complications in the business.  Profits have gone down but pilot demand has remained high due to restricted supply.  On top of this, there have been changes in legislation that have lowered the hours that pilots can fly (with a sort-of impact on payments for overtime or unsociable hours) and they want to keep up their income.  The problem for the pilots (coming down the line) is that the airlines have been pushing the regulators to relax the rules on pilot numbers and if they get their way demand will suddenly drop.

[* In particular, the number of pilots that a required to be awake and on the flight-deck at all times during long haul cruise -- the industry wants to lower this to one from two]

9 minutes ago, A_P said:

Can you provide proof for that starting salary? The last time I looked it was £30k is for a qualified pilot (unless something has changed drastically in the last couple of years) and they will have to pay back their training loans (+£100k) either back to the airline or whoever else they borrowed it from. No doubt their pay can and will increase quite quickly with time served but still there is a huge spectrum between the pilots.

They're certainly like junior doctors -- there's no point in listening to any moans from them when they're in their first year -- they all know that their lifetime career will be very lucrative.

1 hour ago, A_P said:

Nope.

100k is the average pilot wage.

1 hour ago, A_P said:

Thats long gone, when their was a surplus of pilots post 9/11.

Now there a shortgae.

21 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Nope.

100k is the average pilot wage.

Thats long gone, when their was a surplus of pilots post 9/11.

Now there a shortgae.

yes such a shortage that BA levy £115k for cadet training, which saw it increase from £65k to £100k in no less than three years

Edited by A_P