• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
Southmartin

Cheapest way to send small parcels

Recommended Posts

Trying to work this out - does anyone know of the cheapest way to post a small jiffy bag with a few items.

Annoyingly the height would be about 3cm (so it's no longer a Royal Mail "large letter" size)... i've looked at Hermes and they're also £4+ too... 

Ideally I need to get the price to £2 ish for next day delivery - any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Trying to work this out - does anyone know of the cheapest way to post a small jiffy bag with a few items.

Annoyingly the height would be about 3cm (so it's no longer a Royal Mail "large letter" size)... i've looked at Hermes and they're also £4+ too... 

Ideally I need to get the price to £2 ish for next day delivery - any ideas?

Cheapskate. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Trying to work this out - does anyone know of the cheapest way to post a small jiffy bag with a few items.

Annoyingly the height would be about 3cm (so it's no longer a Royal Mail "large letter" size)... i've looked at Hermes and they're also £4+ too... 

Ideally I need to get the price to £2 ish for next day delivery - any ideas?

 

You and me both. If you find a solution I’ll be astonished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would probably do well with Royal Mail’s Click and Drop.

If you send over 1000 parcels a year, apply for an RM account.

Tracked 48 is a cheap service. I pay just under £3.74 per 2kg, insured up to £100. I think Yodel may be a bit cheaper but fuck that. Signature costs 30p more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sam1994 said:

You would probably do well with Royal Mail’s Click and Drop.

If you send over 1000 parcels a year, apply for an RM account.

Tracked 48 is a cheap service. I pay just under £3.74 per 2kg, insured up to £100. I think Yodel may be a bit cheaper but fuck that. Signature costs 30p more.

The problem we seem to have is that the products are small, relatively light (less than 50g each). Normally only 3 per envelope. They are circular with a diameter of exactly 25mm... which means they'd just about go through the RM sizer if they were in a thin envelope, but not in a jiffy (and they're glass, so need to be in a jiffy).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

The problem we seem to have is that the products are small, relatively light (less than 50g each). Normally only 3 per envelope. They are circular with a diameter of exactly 25mm... which means they'd just about go through the RM sizer if they were in a thin envelope, but not in a jiffy (and they're glass, so need to be in a jiffy).

Have the same problem. Typical letter is 68G.

If you put them all in one tray and use Large Letter service they will waive it. This seems to be at the discretion of the regional manager though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Southmartin said:

The problem we seem to have is that the products are small, relatively light (less than 50g each). Normally only 3 per envelope. They are circular with a diameter of exactly 25mm... which means they'd just about go through the RM sizer if they were in a thin envelope, but not in a jiffy (and they're glass, so need to be in a jiffy).

Tilt switches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Southmartin said:

The problem we seem to have is that the products are small, relatively light (less than 50g each). Normally only 3 per envelope. They are circular with a diameter of exactly 25mm... which means they'd just about go through the RM sizer if they were in a thin envelope, but not in a jiffy (and they're glass, so need to be in a jiffy).

Are they circular or spherical?

If circular. What is the depth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the postage down for my Ebay parcels by using stamps bought for 50-60ish % of face value. So a 3.00 small parcel 2nd class actually only costs me around £2. People sell old stamp collections for less than face value. Takes a bit of organising to get the stamps in stock and ready , but saves me loads every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

I get the postage down for my Ebay parcels by using stamps bought for 50-60ish % of face value. So a 3.00 small parcel 2nd class actually only costs me around £2. People sell old stamp collections for less than face value. Takes a bit of organising to get the stamps in stock and ready , but saves me loads every year.

Do you lick second hand stamps? :CryBaby:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Royal Mail with a franking machine for years. Small packages less than a kilo, posting about 200-250 per month volume.

For the past 4 months I have been using DPD. You need to contact and haggle, but has worked out cheaper for most. There are some places (NI, Isle of Man etc) that we still use Royal Mail for due to price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to start up selling on eBay a few years back, I found postage to be cost prohibitive and came to the conclusion that there is some sort of trick out there that's a very well kept secret. I mean I know I can buy a 50p item from China with free delivery, but buying from the UK how does the seller sell and post an item for under £1 total, when the RM price is 61p for a letter or £3 for a small parcel???
Some kind of BS going on and people are keeping their lips sealed.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

I used Royal Mail with a franking machine for years. Small packages less than a kilo, posting about 200-250 per month volume.

For the past 4 months I have been using DPD. You need to contact and haggle, but has worked out cheaper for most. There are some places (NI, Isle of Man etc) that we still use Royal Mail for due to price.

Was this before the changes to the 'large letter' small parcels thing a few years back? 

I'm trying to guess how many items might end up with one of those "your item can't be delivered please pay us an extra £1 at your local post office" type things

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snark said:

I tried to start up selling on eBay a few years back, I found postage to be cost prohibitive and came to the conclusion that there is some sort of trick out there that's a very well kept secret. I mean I know I can buy a 50p item from China with free delivery, but buying from the UK how does the seller sell and post an item for under £1 total, when the RM price is 61p for a letter or £3 for a small parcel???
Some kind of BS going on and people are keeping their lips sealed.......

I scratched my head too. One of our competitors sells direct online. Our cost prices will be similar, give or take. I briefy looked into it via getting a few courier quotes. They are either making pence per item or there is some kind of swindle going on. Even with cheap postage though (that I was unable to find) it seems like a lot of work to make not very much at all. Better off spending your time trying to get some margin business through the door then engaging in a race to the bottom to make 20p on product sale.

Also as most of the stuff I deal is in hazardous unless you ignore the rules you will not compete with a lot of ebayers and amazon sellers. Most simply send stuff via normal post despite it being against the courier/RM's conditions. I know this as I bought a lot of stuff to see how the f**k it was being done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.