• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Shit SatNav

I bought a TomTom when I was travelling a lot for work. Now it refuses to update. Have TomTom withdrawn their support for life feature?

I haven't got an answer from the internet. Is this more throwaway tech?

4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Bought another s/h one, updated fine, the installed app (on windows in this case) will / should update any TomTom plugged into the PC as far as I'm aware.

What model is it?

It's a 520, and doesn't connect to a computer. It goes via a phone. Connects to phone OK.

Isn't it that the satnav ran out of weeks in the date field earlier this year meaning that you can't update any prior to that but now need to buy a new one?

I've had my £60 or £80 TomTom for about ten years without updating (updates were about half the price of the satnav) and where there are new roads more recent than this the signage is good.

The ability of its battery to hold a charge is non-existent but it still works fine.

18 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It's a 520, and doesn't connect to a computer. It goes via a phone. Connects to phone OK.

Looks like Wifi based updates can be very slow, will need it tethered to power. Maybe try resetting the Wifi connection (Forget and reconnect) or a reset and another try might be worth it.

Sat-navs are for big girls' blouses.

I want one with Chubby Brown telling me ''Turn right you daft bastard''...! ;)

Sadly, I do now own one of these infernal contraptions. Mrs XYY is learning to drive, and I have been giving her extra tuition in our own car. You now have to drive with one for twenty minutes of your driving test, so she nagged me to get one.

Now I've got two women constantly twittering on at me instead of only one...

:(

XYY

Lol I just brought in my ghetto sat nav for a service. It no longer updates the maps on the Tom Tom PC program - that probably ended 10 years ago.

It has a Garmin lead, and the lead blue tacked into the mini usb socket (usually the failure point).

It is held into the fan grille with a empty glaze car freshner. 

I plan to use putty glue to tidy it up and get rid of the cellotape.

Otherwise once this dies, I'll switch to using a smartphone google maps for future navigation. 

unt.thumb.jpg.7a0b8a88636859cf25d3f00e4da635f8.jpg

5 minutes ago, 201p said:

Otherwise once this dies, I'll switch to using a smartphone google maps for future navigation. 

Probably as good as anything. I only bought the thing as I was travelling round to different work sites in unfamiliar locations.

Google maps is pretty easy nowadays, although I must confess I am a cartographic dinosaur and would always drive with a tatty old £1.99 road map on the passenger seat. Long drives in unfamiliar places just aren't the same when you're being told where to go by some piece of shit calculator.

I was given an old school garmin gps that has an abysmal navigation app that they probably stopped updating 15 years ago, but it does locate itself off actual satellites  much quicker than smartphones, which appear to have pointless gps that doesn't work without celltower triangulation. I'm sure the military used to have laptops or tablets connected to such gps units for navigation but have not seen anything similar available to civilians. Believe gps coordinates convert to eastings and northings quite easily. Bet it would work better than crappy smartphones that overheat and crash all the time or dedicated units tied to proprietary software. Saying that,  route planning beforehand and using written prompts still generally works for driving.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Not being able to read a map is an early sign of dementia.

The sat-nav dependant are therefore more fucked than their analogue predecessors who had to think for themselves.

I don't use mine very often; usually it's for going for walks.

And I do pay attention to the route with the aim of driving back without the satnav; though sometimes I don't risk this if it has the potential for going badly wrong.

4 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

Google maps.

Defo. But they come a cropper.on unmaid.roads....had this in Thailand this summer.

Still..it wasnt my car....☺

The Google SatNav seems to have a flaw. It gives me instructions how to deal with a junction, after I have passed it.

On a different note, on a sunny day I used to like driving off at random in order to get lost, exploring lanes and villages I haven't visited before, or forgotten about.

The places I haven't visited are gradually decreasing, but the places I've forgotten about are increasing...

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

I bought a TomTom when I was travelling a lot for work. Now it refuses to update. Have TomTom withdrawn their support for life feature?

You're meant to be using a phone with GPS and "always on" data connection so they can track you constantly. 

I think the way you're doing it's better, with a GPS receiver and updatable maps, if you can get it working or get a replacement.

Google maps navigation is pretty shit hot, I'm sorry to say it but it's true. 

6 hours ago, 201p said:

Lol I just brought in my ghetto sat nav for a service. It no longer updates the maps on the Tom Tom PC program - that probably ended 10 years ago.

It has a Garmin lead, and the lead blue tacked into the mini usb socket (usually the failure point).

It is held into the fan grille with a empty glaze car freshner. 

I plan to use putty glue to tidy it up and get rid of the cellotape.

unt.thumb.jpg.7a0b8a88636859cf25d3f00e4da635f8.jpg

Dosbodger of the year 2019!

With added photos too!!

Brilliant.

10 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Sat-navs are for big girls' blouses.

I want one with Chubby Brown telling me ''Turn right you daft bastard''...! ;)

Sadly, I do now own one of these infernal contraptions. Mrs XYY is learning to drive, and I have been giving her extra tuition in our own car. You now have to drive with one for twenty minutes of your driving test, so she nagged me to get one.

Now I've got two women constantly twittering on at me instead of only one...

:(

XYY

Yes but you can call one of them a fucking useless bitch with no comeback except the other one saying disapprovingly that that’s no way to talk.....

Apropos a thread I just started, my satnav is complete shit when it comes to speed limits: it makes an incessant noisy beep when it thinks there is a long redundant temporary 50 mph restriction when there clearly isn't, and then does nothing to warn you when you're going over 70 mph. Weird. 

35 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Apropos a thread I just started, my satnav is complete shit when it comes to speed limits: it makes an incessant noisy beep when it thinks there is a long redundant temporary 50 mph restriction when there clearly isn't, and then does nothing to warn you when you're going over 70 mph. Weird. 

You might as well pick up a pissed hitchiker, who doesn't know the area, and then listen to his ramblings.

On 09/09/2019 at 17:56, MrPin said:

Updated mine a few weeks ago. Seemed fine. It's a Start 60 M, bought 4 or 5 years ago.

btw I think you missed a trick with the thread title - "ShitNav"   ?