• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Tinypic closing - changing internet?

I note that Tinypic is shutting down with the following statement; I haven't copied it all but at the foot of its statement it recommends shifting to a paid for picture hosting account with its sister site Photobucket.

I have been frankly baffled for years by how whole internet companies, including massive ones like Uber, work when they return loss year after year.

Yet this has gone on apparently successfully for twenty five years but the last few years have seen a rush to monetisation with greater or lesser success. YouTube for example is now actively pushing paid for services which it wasn't last year.

Has anyone a good overview of what has changed? I can guess at declining advertising revenues or concentration of advertising revenues, or maybe less naivete by investors and lenders who no longer think that internet = automatic profits, or have hosting costs risen, or something else?

There seems to be a major narrowing of the internet from something like a huge library and games room with a gift shop on the side into a pure marketing platform like the buying terminals in an Argos shop.

I am speaking as a mere watcher but can someone with a closer knowledge tell me what has changed in the last couple of years that has caused this shift?

TinyPic is shutting down

Due to an inability to support a high-quality free digital service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site revenues, TinyPic will be permanently shutting down on September 16, 2019. Because we want to give you as much notice and information as possible during our transition, please carefully review the following information.

http://tinypic.com/

48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Has anyone a good overview of what has changed? I can guess at declining advertising revenues or concentration of advertising revenues, or maybe less naivete by investors and lenders who no longer think that internet = automatic profits, or have hosting costs risen, or something else?

There seems to be a major narrowing of the internet from something like a huge library and games room with a gift shop on the side into a pure marketing platform like the buying terminals in an Argos shop.

I am speaking as a mere watcher but can someone with a closer knowledge tell me what has changed in the last couple of years that has caused this shift?

TinyPic is shutting down

Due to an inability to support a high-quality free digital service that derives 100% of its revenue from ever declining on-site revenues, TinyPic will be permanently shutting down on September 16, 2019. Because we want to give you as much notice and information as possible during our transition, please carefully review the following information.

http://tinypic.com/

Imgur has caused it, it hosts images for free with no signup. A simple case of a better competitor. 

Broadly speaking the main driver of change is that ad revenues have plunged. Nowadays you'll get a few pennies for thousands of visitors from AdSense, whereas 10 years ago you'd have got pounds. The reasons for that are due to things like adblockers which arguably are prevalent only because of advertiser's greed in creating annoying and distracting adverts. Essentially they've shot themselves in the foot. 

The other cause is also due to Google and the fine tuning of their search algorithm to favour big brands only. It's rare to Google something nowadays and see a website you've never heard of on the first page. In other words websites cannot get enough visitors to sustain themselves because of Google. 

What people still don't realise is that Google's goal is to be 100% of the internet. If you need a good example Google "Tampa bay bucs " and notice how far down you need to scroll to see standard web results. The depressing thing is that nobody seems to care. 

Edited by spunko

Many sites who apparently "really value my privacy" refuse to show anything, unless accepting all of their cookies. Google does seem to "own the internet".:/ And I don't want to have yet another login, just to but some item.

4 hours ago, spunko said:

Broadly speaking the main driver of change is that ad revenues have plunged. Nowadays you'll get a few pennies for thousands of visitors from AdSense, whereas 10 years ago you'd have got pounds.  

The other cause is also due to Google and the fine tuning of their search algorithm to favour big brands only.

this

4 hours ago, spunko said:

What people still don't realise is that Google's goal is to be 100% of the internet. If you need a good example Google "Tampa bay bucs " and notice how far down you need to scroll to see standard web results. The depressing thing is that nobody seems to care. 

And this.

I've been saying it for years too. Once one company became the default 'go to' search engine it was inevitable they'd want to use that power to point you at their own products (or to the highest bidder) and, more importantly, their ideals.

Google needs to be broken up. Same with ArseBook and Twatface.

57 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

And this.

I've been saying it for years too. Once one company became the default 'go to' search engine it was inevitable they'd want to use that power to point you at their own products (or to the highest bidder) and, more importantly, their ideals.

Google needs to be broken up. Same with ArseBook and Twatface.

Having recently got a new samsung phone it came with Facebook and some Google stuff pre-installed. It's getting harder to escape this stuff.