• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

LC1

How many points on your license?

How many points on your licence?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How many points on your licence?

• 12+
    • Other / Not in UK / None of your business

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

You didn't get a bench seat in a Viscount. That was for the Cresta plebs. Yes it had a 2 speed Powerglide auto box with a column change. The parking brake was on the door side, so a cushion in the middle just worked,

Did a victor have a bench seat

Zero, but i did get a speed awareness course for doing 34 in a 30. 

I found that my insurance premium dropped a lot when i lost the points (4 years ithink) i had for a previous speeding offence. Was a few years ago mind.

9 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Did a victor have a bench seat

What a question. FB/FC for sure, maybe early FD? This is the most important question I have seen on this site.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

None. But with a 300bhp car and a penchant for speed, it's only a matter of time.

Most likely to be 50/40 to 30 not obvious transition on wide road, or one of those variable speed traps on M Way I think, so even high BHP won't make any difference. 

Zero points now. but one 3 point and course in the past.

I have no points on my licence now. Have had 3 points stuck on there seemingly perpetually for the first 17 years, as 3 would drop off 3 would go back on. Done 2 speed awareness courses and am eligible again if I get caught. Interesting that they now give you points for going 79 in a 70... my default GPS confirmed go anyway speed is/was 80mph. 

The last 3 points were I feel unfairly bestowed on me. A main road cutting through a market town in Shropshire  heading into Wales had the speed limit cut from 40mph to 30mph; great big, clean new 40mph signs and a speed van parked up I was just driving on autopilot and I expect they new this would happen and be a money spinner.

edit: I don't ride my motorcycle anymore as I ride like a loon on it. It would be less get points on your license and more go to jail.

Edited by longtomsilver

19 hours ago, LC1 said:

I never considered myself to be any sort of speed demon, and am generally a very relaxed person in life. I also consider myself to be a safe driver (e.g stick rigourously to 20 and 30 limits because it's usually obvious why these are in place).

Plus, logically I know that the extra 10 mph or whatever on the motorway will hardly get you to your destination significantly quicker. But still I can't seem to help drifting to 80mph or more when it feels appropriate to do so (depending on road and conditions, obviously).

I need to work on my discipline. 

You got cruise control? Use it, put some tunes or a podcast on and chill out.

Yonks ago was driving 70 on the motorway and hit a puddle, there must have been a localized shower as didn't see a drop of rain. My car hit it and aquaplaned, lost control for a 5 seconds. Scared me shitless as car swerved but came out of it fine, had decent tyres on Goodyear Eagle F1s if I remember. I guarantee you that puddle killed someone that day doing 80-90mph with shit or worn tyres.

4 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I have no points on my licence now. Have had 3 points stuck on there seemingly perpetually for the first 17 years, as 3 would drop off 3 would go back on. Done 2 speed awareness courses and am eligible again if I get caught. Interesting that they now give you points for going 79 in a 70... my default GPS confirmed go anyway speed is/was 80mph. 

The last 3 points were I feel unfairly bestowed on me. A main road cutting through a market town in Shropshire  heading into Wales had the speed limit cut from 40mph to 30mph; great big, clean new 40mph signs and a speed van parked up I was just driving on autopilot and I expect they new this would happen and be a money spinner.

edit: I don't ride my motorcycle anymore as I ride like a loon on it. It would be less get points on your license and more go to jail.

You should get on a motorcycle.

I tried learning to drive when I was about 16, and I just couldn't do it. I was able to control the car just fine, do manevours ect...but I just panicked I think when confronted with the constant chaos of being in traffic. It was as if there was an overwhelming amount of data to process in front of me and a little trip switch went off in my head and I just couldn't handle it.

I also much prefer cycling because the bicycle feels like an extension of my own body - I feel in control of it in a way that I never felt in control of a car, and I feel I have better general awareness of my surroungins. I have never, touch wood, had an accident on my bike.

It's rather embarrasing not to have a driving licence, but at the same time I have no love for cars, I don't lust after cars ect...(my lust is saved for guitars!); and it's odd that I consider myself reasonably intelligent and yet I just can't 'do' driving whereas some people, who I'd peg as not being as intelligent as me generally, seem to be able to do it really easily.

Edited by JoeDavola

30 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

How do you mean? If I do get on one again I'll be tempted to trade mine in for a Ducati Scrambler. Vorsprung Durch Tecknic, compact and the right balance of power.

In perfect Italian.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I tried learning to drive when I was about 16, and I just couldn't do it. I was able to control the car just fine, do manevours ect...but I just panicked I think when confronted with the constant chaos of being in traffic. It was as if there was an overwhelming amount of data to process in front of me and a little trip switch went off in my head and I just couldn't handle it.

I also much prefer cycling because the bicycle feels like an extension of my own body - I feel in control of it in a way that I never felt in control of a car, and I feel I have better general awareness of my surroungins. I have never, touch wood, had an accident on my bike.

It's rather embarrasing not to have a driving licence, but at the same time I have no love for cars, I don't lust after cars ect...(my lust is saved for guitars!); and it's odd that I consider myself reasonably intelligent and yet I just can't 'do' driving whereas some people, who I'd peg as not being as intelligent as me generally, seem to be able to do it really easily.

Give it another go, although good guitars don't lose as much money. It's a practical thing. You never know when you might need to drive somewhere.

57 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Yonks ago was driving 70 on the motorway and hit a puddle, there must have been a localized shower as didn't see a drop of rain. My car hit it and aquaplaned, lost control for a 5 seconds. Scared me shitless as car swerved but came out of it fine, had decent tyres on Goodyear Eagle F1s if I remember. I guarantee you that puddle killed someone that day doing 80-90mph with shit or worn tyres.

Still have vivid memories of that happening to me on the way to Reading to see Sunderland play as long ago as 1994. Came across standing water in the outside lane of the M1 somewhere near Watford gap, totally blinded by brilliant sunshine. Probably the nearest I've ever come to death - apart from that other time that I actually almost died, obviously.

IIRC it was the same day that Heathrow Airport collapsed and it took many, many hours to get home, in shit weather.

34 minutes ago, MrPin said:

In perfect Italian.

Give it another go, although good guitars don't lose as much money. It's a practical thing. You never know when you might need to drive somewhere.

Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. is the motorcycle-manufacturing division of Italian company Ducati, headquartered in Bologna, Italy. The company is owned by German automotive manufacturer Audi through its Italian subsidiary Lamborghini, which is in turn owned by the Volkswagen Group.

The bit in bold ;) 

10 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A. is the motorcycle-manufacturing division of Italian company Ducati, headquartered in Bologna, Italy. The company is owned by German automotive manufacturer Audi through its Italian subsidiary Lamborghini, which is in turn owned by the Volkswagen Group.

The bit in bold ;) 

Shouldn't Volkswagen Group be the bold bit, since they're the overlord?

58 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

It's rather embarrasing not to have a driving licence, but at the same time I have no love for cars, I don't lust after cars ect..

I knew you didn't have a car but didn't know that you had no licence. It isn't a bad thing imo. Owning a car is prohibitively expensive nowadays. I've paid much more in repairs on mine than the £4 k I paid for it 9 years ago. A lot of millenials/gen y or z have not bothered to learn to drive and the disadvantages of driving seem to be getting greater. It's no fun getting stuck or traffic and no good for the blood pressure when some c**t cuts you up. 

Traffic police are just urging usually law abiding motorists to fuck up and screw another hundred quid out of up or it's the parking companies doing the same. 

Edited by UmBongo
Rephrased a sentence that read poorly

26 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I knew you didn't have a car but didn't know that you had no licence. It isn't a bad thing imo. Owning a car is prohibitively expensive nowadays. I've paid much more in repairs on mine than the £4 k I paid for it 9 years ago. A lot of millenials/gen y or z have not bothered to learn to drive and the disadvantages of driving seem to be getting greater. It's no fun getting stuck or traffic and no good for the blood pressure when some c**t cuts you up. 

Traffic police are just urging usually law abiding motorists to fuck up and screw another hundred quid out of up or it's the parking companies doing the same. 

Yeah I actually have no real desire to learn to drive on a personal level - I prefer walking/cycling everywhere and occasionally using taxi's/public transport - it doesn't actually make sense financially for me to own a car at the moment.

I also notice even as a pedestrian how the traffic jams are getting worse and worse with each year that passes. Commuting is a bigger pain in the arse than ever; I'm glad it's something I've not had to deal with for a decade. Not owning a car is also how I'm able to rent a flat and simultaneously save plenty.

It just feels like something that is expected of someone to be considered a functional adult by the average normie out there, hence my embarrasment, but as time goes on I get less and less concerned with what other folk will think.

59 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Not owning a car is also how I'm able to rent a flat and simultaneously save plenty.

There was a Reddit post from a guy that worked out owning a car cost him and his gf $10k a year.

They decided to go without and moved to walking distance of their work. Which happened to be a sleazy part of town wrt accommodation. They came close to cracking plenty of times, hearing continual drunken arguments through the walls etc.

It took a few years but they saved enough to buy a duplex outright.

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

What a question. FB/FC for sure, maybe early FD? This is the most important question I have seen on this site.

I vaguely  remember a colum change possably a 2 litre and a very slidey front seat has a kid it towed a caravan so doubt it was a small engine possably /2.3

11 hours ago, gibbon said:

Yeah you dont forget those experiences. I aquaplaned on the M3 down to Southampton once. It must only have been 2 or 3 seconds but the loss of control was aabsolutely terrifying. I drifted just into the neighbouring lane with another car in it before control came back. I remember it as if it were yesterday, my scariest driving experience by far. And one more reason I would never scrimp on tyres. Not worth it.