• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sugarlips

Get paid to live in Italy

8 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/11/underpopulated-italian-region-molise

Get paid €700 a month for 3 years to move to remote Italian towns, looks pleasant enough, no Aldi or Witherspoon’s mind..

Maybe @DTMark would be interested but I'm pretty sure he won't be. Didn't someone previously post an article about living in some remote Italian village and essentially getting a free house, possibly in Sicily?

14 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/11/underpopulated-italian-region-molise

Get paid €700 a month for 3 years to move to remote Italian towns, looks pleasant enough, no Aldi or Witherspoon’s mind..

Local Mafia and the local authority have run out of locals to extort and tax.

Need fresh blood/money.

The reality for Italy is that the tax take and regulation draws every last penny out of your income.

Plus that area gets disgustingly hot in summer.

In an attempt to resuscitate these towns, several mayors, such as the one in Sutera, in the province of Caltanissetta in Sicily, have opened the doors of their vacant homes to asylum seekers who have crossed the Mediterranean from Libya.

Ohh! I bet that works out for everyone ...

Others, such as Sambuca, which are determined do anything it takes to survive, have adopted a strategy that has become fashionable in the south: sell, or practically give away, abandoned homes to anyone willing to move in. The symbolic price of a house is just €1.

Other than lower tax, work on sensibl regulations, stop paying unfunded public sector pensions.

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

If I were single and had no ties I'd be half tempted. I wouldn't even entertain it with a family in tow.

I'd also be interested in the attitude of the locals to incomers, there's always a bit of a myth about people moving to rural areas and becoming 'involved with the community' etc. which has always sounded lovely in the twee property pull-out sections of the paper.

The reality, more often than not, is much different.

Italy is fine to visit for holiday/rest, lovely in season.

However .... you are on hiding to nowhere trying to work. There are so many taxes and regulation you will see 110% of our income took, without knowing which taxes you can get away with not paying.

15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Local Mafia and the local authority have run out of locals to extort and tax.

Need fresh blood/money.

The reality for Italy is that the tax take and regulation draws every last penny out of your income.

Plus that area gets disgustingly hot in summer.

In an attempt to resuscitate these towns, several mayors, such as the one in Sutera, in the province of Caltanissetta in Sicily, have opened the doors of their vacant homes to asylum seekers who have crossed the Mediterranean from Libya.

Ohh! I bet that works out for everyone ...

Asylum seekers really prefer vacant homes in the UK so leave your home and go to live in Italy.

Toma also announced that each town with fewer than 2,000 inhabitants would receive €10,000 (£9,000) with which it would build infrastructure and promote cultural activities.

They must have missed a few zeros off the end of the £9,000 for building infrastructure and promoting cultural activities.

Edited by twocents

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

However .... you are on hiding to nowhere trying to work. There are so many taxes and regulation you will see 110% of our income took, without knowing which taxes you can get away with not paying.

@DTMark works remotely, I think, so might not be a problem for him as long as he could get a good enough web connection. Bit different to remote Scotland that was being considered though!

10 minutes ago, twocents said:

Asylum seekers really prefer vacant homes in the UK so leave your home and go to live in Italy.

They must have missed a few zeros off the end of the £9,000 for building infrastructure and promoting cultural activities.

Indeed Grenville migrants had a 100k refurb per family and we will have decades of self flagellation for screwing them over on the cheap. God knows how much it costs to house migrants and meet SJW human right standards.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

If I were single and had no ties I'd be half tempted. I wouldn't even entertain it with a family in tow.

I'd also be interested in the attitude of the locals to incomers, there's always a bit of a myth about people moving to rural areas and becoming 'involved with the community' etc. which has always sounded lovely in the twee property pull-out sections of the paper.

The reality, more often than not, is much different.

Again, I'm sure someone posted an article in (one of the) Brexit threads about worried people in France, who have seen their ramshackled towns and villages revitalised by English retiree diligence. (No doubt reparations come next, once these towns return to their former dust bowl glory). 

1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I skim read an article about the schemes. Don't you have to start a business to be eligible?

Yep, all the proceeds of which will be extorted from you, either by the state or, more likely, by the local mafia. In fact, the latter will come calling first, then the state will follow up with its demands, so you'll be giving all that grant back anyway!

The mafia is not a myth.

This has huge musical potential.

We could start off with 'Dancing Queen' and conclude with us all prancing across the hills singing 'Let the Sunshine '.

In between there could be lots of songs and a sub-plot about two warring forums or a bunch of misfits who drive an old London bus to a new island in the, um, Italian hills. A quirky montage about Brits pretending to be Romans with much ado about togas. Some of us could wear those string vest tops like in 'UFO'. Not sure what the blokes would wear.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This has huge musical potential.

We could start off with 'Dancing Queen' and conclude with us all prancing across the hills singing 'Let the Sunshine '.

In between there could be lots of songs and a sub-plot about two warring forums or a bunch of misfits who drive an old London bus to a new island in the, um, Italian hills. A quirky montage about Brits pretending to be Romans with much ado about togas. Some of us could wear those string vest tops like in 'UFO'. Not sure what the blokes would wear.

40 Year Old Virgin? 

19 minutes ago, Ponty Mython said:

Yep, all the proceeds of which will be extorted from you, either by the state or, more likely, by the local mafia. In fact, the latter will come calling first, then the state will follow up with its demands, so you'll be giving all that grant back anyway!

The mafia is not a myth.

Mafias - plural.

Every region has its different org.

Every town has it own scams, loosely aligned to a more organised crime.

1 hour ago, Ponty Mython said:

The mafia is not a myth.

I doubt it, unless you get in the way somehow (like by owning a piece of land a mafioso wants, unlikely if they have to pay people to go there) or swan around flashing money about.

Not that I know anything about it myself, but that's what a Sicilian lass I knew said. Mind you I also asked if she would ever move back there (she was in Geneva) and got a resounding "no", but it wasn't because of the mafia...

9 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I doubt it, unless you get in the way somehow (like by owning a piece of land a mafioso wants, unlikely if they have to pay people to go there) or swan around flashing money about.

Not that I know anything about it myself, but that's what a Sicilian lass I knew said. Mind you I also asked if she would ever move back there (she was in Geneva) and got a resounding "no", but it wasn't because of the mafia...

Well, I was only speaking as someone who lived and worked in Italy for years and experienced Mafioso corruption and witnessed extortion first-hand...

Your Sicilian lass ain't daft.

I will let WikiSpydia tell everyone how it really is though.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

Sounds like a nice place to retire to..  if not for the asylum seekers.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Nope.

If you have form of trade or property then theyll pulling scams and crawling all over.

Due to the culture, most italian women esp. Southern ones, dont experience much of pointy end.